Change vram on asus rog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change vram on asus rog

I had to replace the Vram on an asus rog gl502vm gpu gtx 1060 card.
    The original memories is micron D9TCB -> MT51J256M32HF-80 having an identical card that used samsung GDDR5
    K4G41325FE-HC28 so I swapped them.
    The notebook displays but GPUZ returns 0 G and microns as the memory brand ??? (as is possible that appears micron if I changed the memory ?)
    I re-soldered the microns and the notebook works well for a few hours then (probably after some updates) I have a memory conflict that close any game I use but not performance test.
    GPUZ tells me I have 6G of vram while a vram test program tells me I have 3G and it stopped the test . The firmware of the video card has been replaced, with a hex editor I know it is for the right model of rog but I cannot find information on the supported giga or the supported brand memories (how do you get this information from a graphic bios?) now I'm a little confused about the density of these chips:
    1 D9TCB -> MT51J256M32HF-80 = 1G each chip ??
    2 K4G41325FE-HC28 = 1G each chip ??
    I would like to know for sure the amount of memory installed as the GPU firmware may be wrong

Re: Change vram on asus rog

Hi,

K4G41325FE-HC28 is 512MB chip so you got 3GB of VRAM. 3GB and 6GB gtx 1060 had different GPU die, they are not fully compatible as far as I know.

Comment

Re: Change vram on asus rog

Thanks
      Both chip on the two boards (one with 3G second with 6G) have the same id number but the firmware is not the same for 3G or 6G Vram .
      Unfortunately for the gtx 1060 there isn't a tool to investigate about the firmware so the only way is to try different dump and see what's happen. At last I change the vram with sansung
      K4g80325fb-hc25 desoldered from another rog board with same gpu and 6g

Comment

Working...
      X