Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell Inspiron 5100 (2003) with RAM issues (voltage, PSU suspect ??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 5100 (2003) with RAM issues (voltage, PSU suspect ??)

Here's my device:
    LAPTOP: Dell Inspiron 5100 (2003) 2.4Ghz p4, dual-boot: Windows XP pro, sp1 + LinuxMint ( LM 17.1 MATE ), with 128GB ssd, 512mb ddr sodimm.

The 5100 runs fine, even after 19 years of daily, gentle use, "always on", and on adapter power only.
    HOWEVER, over the past 5-6 years there has been a restart-up issue (after power down or power loss --- I leave all my PCs/laps in daily use in ALWAYS-ON condition, even going months w/o re-boots, but the inevitable always happens) .
    Seconds to few mins after pressing the power button to restart , the lap tries to get into BIOS, but the screen remains blank and laptop powers down automatically after 10 sec. Repeat power-button press a few secs to a few mins later. Same issue. HOWEVER: If I waited more than, say, 0.5 hrs to restart (like typical power blackout), start up NORMAL -- BIOS, Win startup, all NORMAL.
    Looked into tho issue, and it was as I suspected, a memory module (RAM) issue. The short (10 sec) failed BIOS bootup I noted above does display a diagnostic LED fault code:
    The Caps Lock flashes this code (see table in link below):
    https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...#Prior_to_2006
    --------

LEDs: Off Flash Off

Description: The memory is believed to be good but it is about to be exercised (such as when shadowing the BIOS and when testing / zeroing all memory).

Next step: Reseat the memory module(s); Contact Support

--------

HOWEVER, the lapse in time before the laptop re-starts normally has been getting longer (say 1 hr) .... up until a week ago when all I could get, even after hours of power-down, was the same flashing Caps Lock led.
    I swapped memory modules and FINALLY got one (256 MB, lower than orig. 512MB) to work. But that 256 didn't want to start smoothly either (often with the same Caps Lock flash code). I have several other modules on hand. A 128MB works, but as far as I tested, nothing over 256.
    It may be that the PSU circuits are getting old. Haven't opened up the 5100 yet (to look at the MBD), but I saw no electro caps from some online photos of the 5100 internals.

EDIT:
    Whether re-boot attempts made from battery alone, or ac adapter (no battery) seems to make NO difference ... same issue.
    May 2017, I replaced the orig. AC pwr adapter (20v, 4.5a) to a new one (19.5v, 4.7a) . I wonder if increasing the adapter voltage by 0.5v might now add enough juice to get higher-capacity memory modules t operate (or at lease make for smoother , more-reliable power-ups).
    EDIT 2:
    As I noted, I did install several other RAM sticks to test, many of them are new or very low hours.
    About the LED code ... I provided a Dell link above. Dell does not indicate anything beyond what's in that table.
    This lap top has TWO sodimm slots, A and B (each 266Mhz). Now, however, only SLOT B now works. I do recall SLOT A used to work.

Re: Dell Inspiron 5100 (2003) with RAM issues (voltage, PSU suspect ??)

The symptoms that you observe in software and Bios are sometimes misleading. you are supposed to check the mainboard considering voltages and temperatures.
    Is there any IC on the mainboard that gets hot?

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
      The symptoms that you observe in software and Bios are sometimes misleading. you are supposed to check the mainboard considering voltages and temperatures.
      Is there any IC on the mainboard that gets hot?
      I don't know as I have not disassembled it THAT far. It's a daily-use device that must be active as much as possible. I guess you could call it a "medically-critical" or "life-functions critical" device.
      Do you know of a source for the service schematic? I have the SM, but not the schematic.
      Last edited by 13mh13; 06-06-2022, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Okay .... let's get back to some basics about memory specs for the 5100:
        The SODIMM's in the 5100 are spec'd to:
        Type: 3.3v SODIMM
        Freq: 266 Mhz
        128, 256, 512 MB. (I assume, for each of the two slots)
        Maximum memory is: "1GB"
        Other: PC2100

Not sure about that 3.3v spec (in Dell manual), because all my sticks contain 2.5 or CL25 in their code. 2.5v I assume. Is that V_min? Does the 5100 provide up to 3.3v (max) for sticks?

Comment

DDR1 RAM sticks work with 2.5v whereas SDRAM RAM sticks work with 3.3v. That depends on the type of the RAMs.
          If the Laptop works with DDR1 RAM, you should not install SDRAM on the laptop.
          A common symptom on such an old laptop is heating components on the mainboard or RAM. After it being on for a while, turn it off and check temperature on the RAM sticks.
          In addition, you should disassemble the laptop and check the temperature on the ICs.
          Last edited by caspian; 06-07-2022, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
            In addition, you should disassemble the laptop and check the temperature on the ICs.
            Which IC(s)? The voltage regulators? Etc.
            TTBOMK, IC's either fail or work. If an IC was bad, then the issue I noted would be more severe, the laptop not usable or dependable.
            As I noted, this laptop, when powered on can operate normally (and very reliable) for months if power is not interrupted or BSOD (rare) occurs. In fact, when poere on, even at 19 years old, this laptop is the epitome of dependability or reliability.

Comment

Yes, voltage regulators are potential suspects for overheating.
              However, the issue can be due to any other component. To discover it, you should notice the hardware symptoms and check the components.
              Last edited by caspian; 06-08-2022, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X