Cleaning up capacitor leakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning up capacitor leakage

I'm doing some OGXbox refurbs and the clock capacitors (PowerStor Aerogel) notoriously leak all over the board. I'm not sure what you call the electrolytic fluid which comes out and gets all over the circuit board, but I would like to know the best process for cleaning it up. Should I hit it with vinegar or isopropyl? Or both? Or something else?

Re: Cleaning up capacitor leakage

just isoprpanol

Comment

99% IPA or Acetone. Depending on how stubborn it is.

Comment

Okay, thanks!

Comment

be carefull with acetone, you can take the markings off some parts with it

Comment

Don't forget try clean water too...especially since failed capacitors tend to use aqueous (i.e. water) electrolytes and water will dissolve it once more.

Comment

I would recommend cleaning using acetic acid if it leaked on the board.
              Every time I do I can see bubbles and hear fizzing as I put it on the areas with leaked electrolyte, so it does a chemical reaction that much better removes it.
              Of course you need to clean very thoroughly after with IPA as acetic acid will otherwise do damage on its own...

Here an example of it in action:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=34
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
              X