How bad are my soldering tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How bad are my soldering tools?

I've been thinking of buying a temperature controlled soldering iron/station for amateur repair works, preferably ESD safe. I have two options in the price range I'm willing to pay:

1. Hakko FX888 at around €125 (the analog one, 888D costs an additional 40 euros for some reason)
    2. Ersa PTC 70 0710CD €80 (http://ersa.com/art-0710cd-358-5046.html)

I was hoping to get a Weller WES51 at around the same price as Hakko, but it's nowhere to be found and don't know why but the WS51 is unusually expensive (changes between €290 and €300).

Any other recommendations for the price range of say, €80-130?

PS. I can order the Weller WES51 from Digikey at a decent price but I doubt that it'll work with euro plugs.

Comment

I am heading by 80% to this solution.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/190865696726?...84.m1423.l2649

I can not say by my hart, that I am recommending it to others, but the opinion of another professional repair man in my city and friend of my, regarding soldering quality the satisfaction is 100%.

Comment

There is something useful to know about 936 clones. The 936 has a lower power heater. The 936A has a higher power heater. The handpiece/iron part is not interchangeable between the 936 and 936A.

I have had a 936A clone for years. It does heavy soldering when large tips are fitted to it.
        I find that the nipple part that attaches the heater to the handle to be rather fragile. I reinforce it by binding it with a layer of thick polyester thread and some epoxy adhesive.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
          I find that the nipple part that attaches the heater to the handle to be rather fragile. I reinforce it by binding it with a layer of thick polyester thread and some epoxy adhesive.
          It looks that this "nipple part" when you buy a replacement hot iron is now metallic too.

Basically if I move to that direction, I will buy immediately and one spare hot iron.

What is some how holding me back is that I would like to have a digital temperature reading too.
          My very old soldering station haves that, but is not powerful or fast.
          Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 10-01-2013, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
            It looks that this "nipple part" when you buy a replacement hot iron is now metallic too.

Basically if I move to that direction, I will buy immediately and one spare hot iron.

What is some how holding me back is that I would like to have a digital temperature reading too.
            My very old soldering station haves that, but is not powerful or fast.
            Where did you see the metal nipple part?
            This is the Hakko part, http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-B2022-Ni.../dp/B0047D3O5E
            Im not certain if it will fit a Aoyue 936A.
            Last edited by rievax_60; 10-02-2013, 02:35 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry if digging an old post (didn't too old maybe)

Is this soldering gun safe to work on motherboard recap? Anyone use it before and this wattage of iron would capable for recaps job?? It looks like don't have ESD because just a two prong mains plug. I have recaps succeed before with cheap soldering iron (no ESD too) about 30watt and sometimes it hard to removes the caps, so I want buy this soldering gun that have temperature setting press button, after have more budget I am really interest to buy a decent soldering station.
              But for now I'm really on tight budget and wanna ask this. How do you think?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by senz_90; 12-17-2013, 09:19 PM.
              "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
              Rudi
              Thank You

Comment

I say stay away. It looks like a 25w soldering iron, unregulated, crap.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                  I say stay away. It looks like a 25w soldering iron, unregulated, crap.
                  ough.. I have to save some money to get a good decent soldering iron.

It is 25w but if you press the button, it will increases wattage and hotter. but as you said, I think this unregulated too.

Best Regards
                  Rudi
                  Thank You

Comment

Get at least a 936 clone. I have a Gordak 936A at home, at work we have 3 of the same. By exchanging tips it can solder any parts on boards as small as cellphones, to motherboards or large power components. I recommend a wide chisel tip for replacing caps, one large enough to touch both leads at once. It's a pain in the ass to recap with the conical tip it comes with, but that's doable too. Works a lot better with the larger tip though, leave the fine one for more delicate jobs as it tends to oxidize quickly.

Agree with others that the irons are a bit fragile and tend to break at the middle, we always keep spares at work. Mine worked for 2.5 years before breaking so you don't have to worry for a while, but it's something to keep in mind. Replacement irons are cheap too.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

is clone means fake GORDAK? I have seen many cellphone repairer on my town use GORDAK hot air station, but I think the soldering iron will available too. This gordak product seems not too expensive and reliable.

It is around U$45? I try search google, but I want to know how much you buy it?

I have buy a GOOT soldering iron two years ago around U$26 but that looks for SMD chip solder job. fine pencil tip and small wattage. wrong decision and the tip now has passed away, the replacement tip is about U$5 but I am not using it anymore and din't buy the tip.
                      Last edited by senz_90; 12-18-2013, 11:00 AM.

Best Regards
                      Rudi
                      Thank You

Comment

See maybe these :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soldering-St...item483f3c094d
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-ATTEN-A...item4ac36f5788
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATTEN-AT936b...item1c3157bd2b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-60W-SOL...item257087870d

They're clones of Hakko 936. Should be OK to use, much better than those unregulated soldering irons.

Search for "936 solder station" or "937 solder station" on eBay.. you may find something cheaper than the links above (cheaper shipping to Indonesia)
                        Last edited by mariushm; 12-18-2013, 10:59 AM.

Comment

thank you. I would search that, but maybe next years I could buy it

Best Regards
                          Rudi
                          Thank You

Comment

Gordak is one of the many Chinese companies that make them, all of them are clones of Hakko (Japan) designs. Actually the spare tips they sell for the Gordak are genuine Hakko.

Can't comment on the quality of the other clones, but i've heard Atten are quite good also. Only used Gordak and Lukey stations, and i found Gordak to be better.
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by senz_90 View Post
                              fine pencil tip and small wattage. wrong decision and the tip now has passed away, the replacement tip is about U$5 but I am not using it anymore and din't buy the tip.
                              It looks that you are good in answering in your own questions.

But no one spends money on getting true tools because he does not have any other way to spend them..

I ended up getting the proper 90W soldering station which have the pencil tip and the power to melt anything, but its not a budget tool.
                              Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 12-18-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

btw mariushm and the unique. i have search my country site and found someone sell soldering station H&K 936 on my town. is this looks reliable? he is sell this station just about U$ 20. what a good prices !! but I'm afraid of this brand since i have never hear this more than gordak, goot, or dekko. i will upload some pictures if needed.

how do you think? thanks for the time !!

Best Regards
                                Rudi
                                Thank You

Comment

its an Hakko design
                                  ripoff station
                                  (not reliable and cheap),
                                  tip assortment is large and
                                  original Hakko tips
                                  are reliable, if you
                                  keep them tinned

Comment

it is just hobby of mine to repair for fun, so i dont think would get a real hakko for my solder station. this is for satisfy hobby and this looks better than any cheap solder iron that haven't temperature control. but i am appreciated your comment.

Best Regards
                                    Rudi
                                    Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by senz_90 View Post
                                      btw mariushm and the unique. i have search my country site and found someone sell soldering station H&K 936 on my town. is this looks reliable? he is sell this station just about U$ 20. what a good prices !! but I'm afraid of this brand since i have never hear this more than gordak, goot, or dekko.
                                      how do you think? thanks for the time !!
                                      Gordak, Kada, Aoyue, goot, dekko.... they are all the same inside really, so this one is probably no different. I'd say go for it. They are quite reliable and it's good to have a soldering station with temperature control vs. just a regular iron. I would also encourage you to get some chisel or bevel type tips for it - those really do help with larger joints.

If there is no warranty sticker on the station, tear it open and check all of the wires and solder joints on the boards. These stations are decent overall, but they are sometimes assembled poorly (pinched wires, cold solder joints, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        Gordak, Kada, Aoyue, goot, dekko.... they are all the same inside really, so this one is probably no different. I'd say go for it. They are quite reliable and it's good to have a soldering station with temperature control vs. just a regular iron. I would also encourage you to get some chisel or bevel type tips for it - those really do help with larger joints.

If there is no warranty sticker on the station, tear it open and check all of the wires and solder joints on the boards. These stations are decent overall, but they are sometimes assembled poorly (pinched wires, cold solder joints, etc.)
                                        thanks momaka !!
                                        I think this month I will buy it because my final exam were finished and I will try to get a job. I have asking him about tips and he said replacement tips are about U$ 2.5 and also have a chisel tips.

This would be my first experience to use this station and chisel tips, I found sometimes get stuck on my fine pencil tips and hope this will makes my job to recaps easily much better.

I have see youtube video about comparing aoyue and hakko and this aouyue solder joints looks not so bad, but if no warranty sticker I will add an extra solder to makes a good solder joint.

Best Regards
                                        Rudi
                                        Thank You

Comment

Working...
                                        X