Got me a new toy leekseaker 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got me a new toy leekseaker 89

Any tips or tricks on how to use it would be appreciated tried using it seems to work good as long as you know the right track you are on.I notice if i touch wrong track or ground it will recalibrate and miss the short. I hope i made a good investment any one has one your input is greatly appreciated.

Re: Got me a new toy leekseaker 89

they are really good for high density boards,like motherboards etc,i use mine a lot with the "3wire hot air system",not that good on power supplys though,

the sound used to get on my tits,but a peice of gaffa tape sorted that out
    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
    please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

It looks like a useful device. However, I still use freeze spray and low currents to locate shorts, but that only works with dead to low ohm shorts.

To me, it looks like it's essentially a very high resolution ohmmeter? 16-bit ADC with multiple ranges to search in. I guess it narrows the ADC range when it gets closer to the target and each step forward will make it more sensitive.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        It looks like a useful device. However, I still use freeze spray and low currents to locate shorts, but that only works with dead to low ohm shorts.

To me, it looks like it's essentially a very high resolution ohmmeter? 16-bit ADC with multiple ranges to search in. I guess it narrows the ADC range when it gets closer to the target and each step forward will make it more sensitive.
        yeah,basically that,back in the days when you used to cut traces to narrow down shorts,the leakseeker has a memory,so when pad hopping it will remember the last reading from pad to pad.

and it recalibrates itself when it gets closer,i love the hot air method,it really cuts down on time finding shorts,as with a capacitor with a high esr causing "no power"lets say,heating the cap will reduce the resistance,and make that cap work,not for long but it does.

the leakseeker works the same sort of way in hot air mode,when you blow on a component with a straw the seeker goes nuts to the sudden drop in resistance!,bingo,you have found the short.highly recommended.
        fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
        please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

I did soldered a 20 ohm resistor across a capacitor to see if i could detect the short in low setting it was not exact to pinpoint the short but in middle setting it was dead on u could really see difference once u hit the short.and u also know when u passed the short.I think more i use it i will get better.I will also buy can of freeze spray to detect low ohm or dead short.

Comment

Working...
          X