Lab Bench Power Supply for laptop diagnostics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lab Bench Power Supply for laptop diagnostics

I want to ask a question about buying a proper bench power supply for laptop diagnostic mainly. Is there a good one that displays shortages?

And how will I connect its pins on to motherboard, by soldering them? If that so, I will need tiny probes in order to be able to connect them!

Any info and tips are welcome cause I really want to get into laptop motherboard repair!

Re: Lab Bench Power Supply for laptop diagnostics

I do not think actually that a proper bench power supply for laptop diagnostic is some sort of special equipment type.

I always thought that one adjustable power supply in volts with current limiter is good enough.

Regarding this PSU quality and long term reliability, I would not trust the modern switching PSU.

But here comes the known question as: which is your spending budged?
    One work horse PSU made in Japan (30V - 10A) come close to 300 EUR as used, when as new is at about 1000 EUR.

Some old laptops with Nvidia graphic card, they will require up to 8A.

Regarding DC connectors, you may buy also one standard laptop charger, and use it cable with all these alternative type DC plugs that comes with it.

In summary, the adjustable current limiter of a professional power supply, it would give you the option to start your troubleshooting with low current, and gradually ramp it up, so to evaluate if there is any shortages.

In such troubleshooting it helps more the power supply to have analog meters than digital.

Comment

Thanks! I just want the power to connect to a DRAIN pin of a Mosfet for example and not the connector itself in order to pinpoint short circuits!

Comment

This is far easier by getting some pincer clips as test & measurement accessories.
        Just keep an eye in their current rating, most cheap ones are only for 3A max.

Comment

Oh ok, thanks will have a look!

Comment

are u means diagnos about find shorted component. maybe some experience can explain here howto inject some current on power trail and easy to find shorted component. and one morething we also use psu as measure current were input to motherboard. from there we know some common issue when read current in.

Comment

Working...
            X