Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this soldering station OK for recapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this soldering station OK for recapping?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=372-140

I have this soldering station, but have been disappointed with it for recapping work for some motherboards, it doesn't seem to have enough heat to melt the solder sometimes on certain motherboards.

I just read through the manual and found that temperature is determined by the tip installed, and the tip I had been using is 700 F (371 C).

There are tips available that go to 800 F (427 C). Will this be a big improvement? Or should I invest in a different iron that gets a little hotter?

I have a cheap Radio Shack 40 watt iron I use when the Weller doesn't cut it, but I would like to get something a little nicer than the Radio Shack iron since it is not grounded and has a huge tip.

So, try the other tips, or get a new iron? If a new iron is in order, what's a good model and where can I buy one in the US? Links to an online store would be great.

Re: Is this soldering station OK for recapping?

You would probably notice a difference with 800F

Some Rack-Shack models have replacement tips.
    You can grind or file them to the shape you want.
    Just have to pay more attention to keeping them clean and tinned.

I've had two '66's. (Fords)
    ... and 1-58, 1-59, 2-60's, 6-64's, and 2-67's.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

I have one of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=372-145

It does quite well, but for some of the new ROHS parts I have to really crank up the heat to get it to melt the solder. But that's to be expected. It does the job quite nicely.
      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

we were recently discussing "goot" irons.
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=goot
        they look very, very nice to me...

and so does this
        http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-19...0-white-le.jpg

Comment

I too have purchased a Weller WES51 soldering station. Unfortunately, it didn't come with a chisel tip. I got it from Grainger, using my employers account (but I didn't get my employers 40% discount). I can't tell if any of the tips they have are good for doing cap replacement. It uses the ET line of tips. What do you use?

They have these:
          ETA
          ETS
          ETB
          ETO
          ETP
          ETH

Attached Files
          Last edited by Paul S; 06-14-2008, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I use the conical tip the iron came with. So far it's worked fine. That knife tip looks interesting though, as does the long screwdriver tip.
            A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Originally posted by 1966Ford
              http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=372-140

I have this soldering station, but have been disappointed with it for recapping work for some motherboards, it doesn't seem to have enough heat to melt the solder sometimes on certain motherboards.
              I have the exact same soldering station as yours.... the Weller WTCPT series.... and I've been in the motherboard recapping buisness for a couple of years and I've never had a problem with it. It even does the toughest jobs such as RoHS compliant power supply units. But mine was made in 1989, i guess maybe quality has changed through the years?

Thanks.
              Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

What tip are you using in yours?

Comment

Oh, and I have an F100 (truck)

Not much to see but a few small pictures, but take a look: http://www.1966ford.com/

Comment

Hakko makes some nice irons too check their site out.

http://www.hakkousa.com/
                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Currently have a '64 Fairlane Sports Coupe and a '67 full size wagon.
                      The 59 and 60's above were all F-100 big windows.
                      58 was a 2 Door Ranch Wagon.
                      All the 64's were Fairlanes. 1 wagon, 1 sedan, 1 hard top, and 3 sports coupes.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Except for one rice grinder the '67 is the newest car I've ever owned.
                        Oldest was a '37 Plymouth 2 door.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

I don't know much about soldering stations but all this car talk got me going. Its my turn! 1 68 340 Cuda', 1 71 Grand Coupe Barracuda... It was all racer based on the 340, 2 69 GTS 340 Darts...one auto and one 4 speed. I wish that I had any one of them now!
                          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                          Rod Serling

Comment

Don`t forget, that the temperature is set by the tip. So i think you just have bought a too low temperature tip. I think 420°c is necessary even with good soldering stations. 450°c is better for recapping work.

Comment

+1 on Hakko stations ...I have a 936 and like it a lot. The newer FX 888D is apparently good as well. I used to use nothing but Weller, but the quality on those has dropped from what it once was.

Comment

Working...
                              X