This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

IIRC, the P-75 was the last for the FDIV bug. Everything P90+ was cured.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

This was a freebie from a local FB recycling group. Only needed 12 miles cycling. That was a bit harder as I'm a slightly sick.
      It's excatly the same model, which I had in my hand three years ago, when the staff at the dump told me NO.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Xenon-Codex; 05-19-2023, 01:04 PM.

Comment

New free scores :

1) - Hair straightening ceramic brush . According to the giver , it worked for a month or two , then malfunctioned . He thought I may use some parts from it . He also mentioned he brought it from abroad .
        When I had time to check it , it was designed for 110v. 60 Hz , no wonder , frying it on 220v.

2) - Alpha long range wireless usb adapter , made in Taiwan . This one was the envy of hackers (if you know what I mean) .

3) - Philips external subwoofer , works on AC , DC and batteries . Many type of connections , including Philips screens .

4) - New Toshiba battery , compatible with many series . The giver said he bought it , then sold the laptop . He decided to give it to me in exchange of a format .

5) - Laptop Toshiba L655D DDR3 - DA0BL7MB6D0 . This one was brought to me some month before . Upon checking , I found out the AMD vision vga has failed , but the owner said my asked repairing price is high , and he will think about it .
        Brought back again , he admitted trying to repair it , but being a hobbyist , he destroyed the plastic push button , then tried to short the on board connector , and next , he short circuited the connector with a nearby six pins mosfet (see attached pictures) . Following that , the laptop won't turn on with black screen like before . At that point , he removed the Hard drive and gave it me . He mentioned that buying a new one was his decision .

Next will follow tomorrow ...
        Attached Files

Comment

Today's scores:

- Fujitsu Amilo Pa3553 - unfortunately dud. Specs include a HD 3470 and a Turion Ultra ZM-80.
          - HP Pavilion dv6-6111eo - needs a display and HDD connector. A4-3300MX (or 3305MX? forgot exactly but it's an A4 chip), HD6750M (surprised to see a 6750M, of all things). Has a battery of unknown status capacity-wise.
          - Celeron prebuilt - the photo down below says it all. JNC RJA-274, yet another Deer case, this time the most blatant Dell Precision knockoff. Had a abismally bad PM9M-V mainboard w/ Celeron 420 1.6GHz, a single 512MB DDR2 stick, a Samsunh SH-S202 writer, and a 80GB WD800BB IDE drive, powered by an horrifyingly ugly COLORSit unit.

- Galaxy Note Edge N915FY, black - bad screen layer (Wacom pen wouldn't register on half of the screen), good mobo. Swapped its working board on the white one I had with a bad board, and everything works fine, aside from the battery that is pretty abysmal.
          - HP 90W charger and unknown 120W FSP AC adapter
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dan81; 05-21-2023, 08:42 AM.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Another score today, MSI K9N Neo v2 w/ Zalman cooler.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Since I couldn't edit my previous post - I also got a MSI H61M-P31/W8 and a ASRock H81M-VG4 today.

Couldn't test those, though, because of no CPUs on hand. I do have a i3-3220 and a i5-4570 at home, but it'll take sometime until I get there.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Mega EDU score.

Approx 22 Asus T100TA's. I got ~40 of these last year, I sold every one of them. These will sell too!

Several Asus Gen3 I-series laptops. All in fabulous condition.

Bunch of TPLINK USB wifi adapters, new in shrinkwrap.

Several new bluetooth Apple keyboards.

Some more of these mini ITX systems. I got ~140 of them last year. I was down to less than 20 remaining. I got probably ~60 more. These sold well. Also shown are a bunch of OEM HP toner cartridges.

These boxes contain about 200 trashed chromebooks.....

One of the picks of the litter....new in box rackmount APC 1500.

Recycle center bound stuff....printers, generic toners, a shit ton of monitors, and the usual boxes full of cables, keyboards, & mice....

Some other picks of the litter....several new HP Procurve gigabit switches

There was also a really old mint condition Mac laptop I forgot to take pics of. Nice addition to the retro collection. It worked. Not a bad day overall!
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Free GPUs from my dad, a G98 based 8400GS Rev2 and a HD3450 512MB.

Not much, but these should suffice for some retro PCs and testing.

Stripped the JNC case today, and packed the TV up for transportation. Hope it survives a 15 hour trip on Thursday.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Again at the dump. This bad looking case has Asrock board, AMD FX4130, 8GB ram, Radeon HD3740 and a 500GB hd inside.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Picked up a couple 3DFX cards for peanuts; untested. Seller didn't seem to know what they were. One is a voodoo3 2000 AGP, the other a Voodoo3500 AGP.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Picked up a couple 3DFX cards for peanuts; untested. Seller didn't seem to know what they were. One is a voodoo3 2000 AGP, the other a Voodoo3500 AGP.
                        The 2x 3DFX cards I snatched cheap got here. First one to be tested is a STB Voodoo 2000 AGP SDRAM.

POST's....but note BIOS v1.00.01, which is the first release....

Nothing good ever comes out of a v1.00 of anything....so I flashed it with the last version supported by this card. Utility shook hands with the card and the ROM, erased the ROM, and then crashed. Well fudge!! Rebooted to the 'no video' error beep sequence (motherboard is an Asus P2B-DS). Through some trickery & depict, I POST'd the system off a PCI card, leaving the voodoo3 in the AGP and attempted to recover from the automatic backup the flash utility creates.....this is what I got:

A screen full of gobbledygook.....but atleast the card was alive!!

I decided to try a slightly newer flash utility that was 'modified'; not sure how....but at this point I had nothing to lose......and tada!!

Card recovered and showing the latest supported BIOS!!

I have not tested the second card yet; a Voodoo3500 AGP....but the sticker on it indicates it's already running the newest BIOS it can take.
                        Attached Files
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Nice work with the Voodoo card, TC!

Reminds me, I still need to find a memory chip for my STB Voodoo 3 2000 from the Gateway Select 600 PC from awhile back. One of the RAM chips is physically cracked, thanks to whoever tried to remove the HDD in that PC and tore through it like a gorilla. The RAM chip is a Micron Tech. MT48LC16M8... or something along those lines, if I remember correctly. Given the timings, I don't think I'll ever find a proper replacement. Kinda sad, as I've been looking for a Voodoo card for a while, but don't want to spend the crazy money people ask for online. This would have been my first one... but I guess it's just not gonna happen. And fixing it seems more and more unlikely as time goes by. Ah well... :\

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            Nice work with the Voodoo card, TC!

Reminds me, I still need to find a memory chip for my STB Voodoo 3 2000 from the Gateway Select 600 PC from awhile back. One of the RAM chips is physically cracked, thanks to whoever tried to remove the HDD in that PC and tore through it like a gorilla. The RAM chip is a Micron Tech. MT48LC16M8... or something along those lines, if I remember correctly. Given the timings, I don't think I'll ever find a proper replacement. Kinda sad, as I've been looking for a Voodoo card for a while, but don't want to spend the crazy money people ask for online. This would have been my first one... but I guess it's just not gonna happen. And fixing it seems more and more unlikely as time goes by. Ah well... :\
                            Do you know if it's SDRAM or SGRAM? That model used both. If it's SGRAM (harder to find), you could possibly replace it with a SDRAM (easier to find) chip and use the SDRAM firmware, which would downclock it to the correct timings.....might take a little hit, versus sgram but its better than a dead card! It definitely needs to be fixed!! That wouldn't be a fun surgery.

My heart sank at the thought that I bricked a 3DFX card....relieved I was able to revive it!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Tested the V3500 and good. Card is in pristine condition....wherever it was used, it had a very easy life.

In the same board as the other.....except of course my EVC pigtail so I don't have to use the fat purple TV dongle & breakout box that comes with it.

Posted.

This is the V3 2000 in THIS BOARD, good pairing for period-specifics.

No builds in mind for either card (or the boards)....but I always grab 3DFX stuff when the price is right....they don't make 'em anymore and their values continue to climb. I am not a collector of these, they are not show pieces.....they always end up in builds.
                              Attached Files
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

I'll say it however many times is needed - I'm glad to have gotten my V3 3000 AGP among a $10 box. The other card that I was quite sad I couldn't get working was a 7300GS AGP - it may not be much, but GF7 cards on AGP are pretty hard to come across by each day, here in Romania.

Heck, even the X1950 Pro wasn't that easy...
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Resuming Free scores for the past week :

6 ) - A bunch of like 50 modems (PCI and ISA) . Some examples in the pictures attached , and among , probably the first ISA modem in the world , impressive .
                                  7) - Another bunch of like 50 sound cards , (PCI and ISA) . Some examples in the pictures attached , and among , a sound blaster live , very appreciated .

8) - A Polaroid TV model 3000s , very cheap work , no support company , and not worthy , but I'll fix it anyway . Could be useful for some friends .

9) - an external SD-1 speaker system . As usual , the battery is the primary problem .

10) - Samsung Duos mobile , working but really outdated .. Well , a camera and radio after all ..
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Scores of today:

- Xbox 360 Elite - dunno what exact revision I have... the power socket says Falcon all day, but the rest of the info kinda points to Zephyr, especially when looking at the power rating.

- ASUS P5WD2-E + Pentium D 930 + Leadtek PX7800GT 256MB - just needs TLC, all work fine, came with a free kit of 2GB worth of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 sticks.

- ASRock N68C-S UCC - kinda beaten up, missing northbridge HSF... came with a A64 x2 4200+... hope it will work, but I doubt it greatly.

-MSI CR650 - roach party, sprayed Killtox ALL OVER IT and waiting until tomorrow. E350 w/4GB of RAM and a 120GB HDD. Might make for a good office machine once I remove the roaches, repaste and add a bigger HDD.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Dell Inspiron 17 7779 2-in-1 laptop. Abandoned, customer didn't want it back. Transplanted my SSD into it and here we are. Will be using this as a main laptop over my Dell Latitude E6520.
                                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Updates on my scores:

- transplanted a RGH3 modded Kronos board into the Elite 360 casing, as well as threw in a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue (with 93% health) for the time being in place of the original 20GB HDD - the 120GB went on another unit that was rebuilt using the leftovers from the Elite 360 internals (except the mobo from that Elite, instead opting for a newer May 2008-built Falcon mobo, as reliable as the Jasper/Kronos I have)

-P5WD2-E is awaiting a case - probably will end up in a Linkworld or JNC case

- N68C-S UCC went in the scrap/harvest pile. Does POST but the standby circuit onboard is so shot that the board will never shut down, and will autostart as soon as power is applied - kinda like the old AT mobos, except so clinically gone that it acknowledges it has ACPI, yet can't do jack about it.

-MSI CR650 - went to the landfill, not before I robbed it of the WLAN card (surprisingly, a Intel branded card despite being AMD platform), display, 19v charger, HDD, DVD drive and keyboard.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

I just grabbed a Magnavox 20MF500T/17. Flat-screen television, with a weird power brick (16 volts DC, 3.75 amps). It seems to work just fine using the buttons on the TV set.

I can't believe I was dumb enough to take this from someone's trash. It has a 4:3 aspect ratio (16 inches by 12 inches). That is probably why it was there for several days and nobody else took it.

I could throw it in some trash cans outside some nearby apartments (the ones that do NOT have security cameras), but I'm not going to do that. I'm going to put the TV back -- in the trash area of the same house where I found it.

Many times I do not get the same great free stuff as other people on badcaps. But this does not matter, since I have a pretty good life.

Comment

Working...
                                          X