This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

So, I have had 3 devices fail from bad capacitors in 1 week. A netgear switch, an antec neo he430 psu (failing) and the obvious

Bestec 250-12z PSU - failed ; not starting pc

came from a HP/compaq core2duo system.

just wouldn't start one day.

disaseembly shows bulging caps,

totally not surprising. at least the 12z didn't fry the motherboard.

The 12E version DID fry another system I used to have. Repaired that psu but this one; I'm just going to trash as time has gone by and there are much better psu's worth refurbishing than this one.
    Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't expect anything less from CrapXon. It should fire right back up after a recap, if not I'd check the primary IC. These PSU's are great after a recap. And, yours has the white glue instead of the dreaded brown conductive-over-time glue. Nice!

Comment

^ Those aren't CapXon, those are Teapo.

Comment

Oh geez, they are! so used to seeing CapXon in that model!

Comment

That's a first. I've never seen Bestec use anything but Jamicon, CapXon or OST.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              That's a first. I've never seen Bestec use anything but Jamicon, CapXon or OST.
              Same. One I had though had Rubycon CE on the voltage doubler. That was it though....usually it's Jamicon GP caps

Comment

Azza Dynamo 850W. Paid $20 for it, sweet deal! Obviously Super Flower made. It would boot up for about 3 seconds and then shut down. I figured, hey, those bulged caps might have something to do with it

I recapped it, removed all the glue, fixed bad joints, oiled the fan, and it's good to go The thing is an amazingly designed half bridge unit. They sure put some thought and engineering into it.

Look at those beefy CapXon! They measured 1200uF too, good job CapXon! They're heavy too. 15A bridge on a heatsink

I was extremely surprised that the caps that went bad were on the 5V and 3.3V rail. ALL of the bulged JPCE-TUR 3300uF 10V caps measured in the range of 1500-1600uF and in the ESR range of 1.3-1.65Ω

12V uses 40A schottky's in parallel.
                Attached Files

Comment

Seems good for 550 W combined, with some luck 500 W on +12 V itself.
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

SuperFlower were one of the few who could come up with a good half bridge design. That PSU would be a little inefficient, but it would have good output performance.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                      Azza Dynamo 850W. Paid $20 for it ...
                      That PSU is built like a tank, look at the thickness of the heatsinks and the size of the PI coils.

Comment

Wooooooooow!!!! That's an awesome PSU.

Even the 5V_STBY transformer looks a little bigger than in some cheap PSUs. It also has a chip right next to it, so it likely isn't the killer two transistor design.
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

The last Bestec I scrapped had JPCE-TUR caps, although it was a 2000 model ATX-1523F powering a Socket A Duron rather than anything more recent. The mains caps were Taicon.

Comment

CEC International Holdings Ltd.
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

inland ils-600r2
                              where to start on this overated POS!
                              appear to be fake nippon caps too.
                              dented and appearance of dirt under the wrap.measures +- 700uf and 2.7 esr!
                              secondary rectifiers are all 30a.claims 36a on +12.
                              it was dead when it came in so no testing.but everything screams JUNK!
                              inland is a micro center house brand.
                              i suspect cougar is too.
                              Attached Files

Comment

more on the ils-600r2
                                FAKE caps
                                Attached Files

Comment

600W ... do you want shrapnel with that? No matter, you're going to GET it anyway!

So, wrong sleeve color, no temperature rating, and no date/lot code ... you got a problem with that?
                                  Last edited by PeteS in CA; 01-18-2014, 01:19 PM.
                                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Fakes for sure, KMGs are brown and I think don't have that top cover. I have some KMQs and they don't have anything over the vent.

But the blue PCB is nice

Comment

Inland PSU?

Should be IN a LANDfill. Haha.
                                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Definitely a Leadman. For 600W, it sucks but it's not even close to worst thing in this thread At least the heatsinks are decent, the toroids are big and nicely wound. 30A (guessing shottky) isn't bad for the 12V. The 5VSB transistor with no heatsink though is pitiful, not sure why Leadman always does that. What kind of fan does it use?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                          For 600W, it sucks but it's not even close to worst thing in this thread
                                          Agree.
                                          At the very least, it's a decent source of PSU parts to fix up other PSU (I say this because even if a Leadman PSU looks well-built, their designs usually perform badly).

Comment

Working...
                                          X