X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
    EMKO JS-300B HAZARDOUS AREA yeah baby around it when it's runnig

It actually even has full input filter with genuine Y caps and varistors+thermistor! And the transformer is not too bad. And bridge rectifier RS405. Other than that, 470uF VIVA caps, 2SC4106 switchers (may be good too), SBL1040CT for +3,3 V, FG1004 for +12 V and SB1540 for +5 V. Oh yeah 30 A my ass

Some of the secondary caps are bloated, every single cap biger than D6,3 on the AOpen motherboard it was powering was bad. And it was only with ceramic Athlon 1000 (Thunderbird) and Manli TNT2 M64. HDD has Spin retry count of 18 with big red FAILED, but runs just OK, possibly it was unable to start due to poor power from this unit.If I had nothing to do than I may renovate this, but it's waste of time with all those Fortron units I have here which are 10times better after recap.

Note that small cap with K-shaped vent under the input connector. Yes, it is our beloved Rulycon
    Viva caps+Rulycon= Deer.

By the looks of it,it's one of those "vintage" Deers that didn't have a proprietary chip (chip of the year/DR0183) but it had a KA7500 (at least that's what I recall it had) or some other TL494 clone.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Macron is the OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
        Macron is the OEM.
        Nope, it's a 100% Deer/L&C. Whoever made the label lied or tried to hide the original manufacturer. With that "30A" rating on the 5V rail, I'm sure you will agree with me .

This is actually one of their better designs, though. Looks like Behemot's has everything in there. A recap on the output (and 5VSB critical cap - this unit has one!) will keep it running for a long time. Of course, with those output rectifiers, you probably can't use it for much other than a Pentium II or Pentium 3 PC - and there aren't a whole lot of these PCs left in use today.

My only pet peeve with these Deer PSUs is the minimum load resistors. Look at the orange wires on the 3.3V rail - they are darkened! And I am pretty sure that is not dust. One of my Deer PSUs had the same thing going on - the 3.3V wires were heavily darkened due to a hot minimum load resistor (10 Ohms IIRC, or perhaps even lower). I did a little swapping between the rails and that took care of that problem .

Originally posted by Dan81
        By the looks of it,it's one of those "vintage" Deers that didn't have a proprietary chip (chip of the year/DR0183) but it had a KA7500 (at least that's what I recall it had) or some other TL494 clone.
        Actually, that one probably does have a DR0183 PWM IC. I know mine did. The newer ones have a "Chip of the year", and the very old ones have TL494 (those usually have a KA7805 regulator on the 5VSB rail as well).

Originally posted by Behemot
        HDD has Spin retry count of 18 with big red FAILED, but runs just OK, possibly it was unable to start due to poor power from this unit.
        Ouch. I'm curios - what was the brand and model of that HDD. Quantum or Maxtor by any chance?

Originally posted by Behemot
        If I had nothing to do than I may renovate this, but it's waste of time with all those Fortron units I have here which are 10times better after recap.
        Yeah, true. Hard to justify repairing these. Although your unit does seem to have a proper "35" size transformer and PI coils for all rails - a rare sight in a Deer . Oh, and that fan looks like a Power Logic. Is it? If yes, definitely save it. Power Logic fans are quite reliable. But if it's a good old Globe Fan... I guess they are okay to use for some experimental temporary purposes. I am no fan of Globe Fans
        Last edited by momaka; 03-09-2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Yeah it is Power Lopgic fan and Maxtor HDD.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Yes definitely Deer, seen that one before branded SH. I'd dig through the pictoral to find it but that'd take forever Deer used Power Logic quite a bit back in the day. I honestly think Solytech may have some ties with Globe Fan. I dissected a Solytech branded PSU recently (Still brand new in the packaging from January, 2007) and when I took apart the Globe Fans, I found the Yang Chun caps on their boards. As far as I know, those YC caps are not used outside of Solytech

Comment

What happens when the fan of a Deer pos stops:

Notice that someone tried to fix this thing! Some of the (possibly) bloated caps have been replaced and the toroid coil has been placed from another psu too

The discoloration is WORSE than shown in pics!
              Attached Files

Comment

What happens when the fan of a Deer pos stops:

Notice that someone tried to fix this thing! Some of the (possibly) bloated caps have been replaced and the toroid coil has been placed from another psu too

The discoloration is WORSE than shown in pics!
                Haha

Look in pic 3, that small 10 ohm resistor looks like it was replaced after another one had burnt out (notice the char on the board around it).

Also, it's got a killer single transistor 5VSB circuit xD

Interesting that the snubber resistor on the primary side has some charring as well, I guess it really does run that hot?!

But yeah, look at how the 12V wires near the PCB have discolored insulation. (Or heat "soot" marks)

Edit: also note that the two driver transistors (?) have been removed. Did you do that?
                Last edited by ben7; 04-18-2015, 05:17 PM.
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post

Look in pic 3, that small 10 ohm resistor looks like it was replaced after another one had burnt out (notice the char on the board around it).
                  Thanks! I missed that!

Interesting that the snubber resistor on the primary side has some charring as well, I guess it really does run that hot?!

Edit: also note that the two driver transistors (?) have been removed. Did you do that?
                  Nope. I only took the photos

Comment

I dunno if it beats my Delta GPS-300AP, but yes, that PCB is pretty well done. What brand was the fan?
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The fan was missing. I bet it was the usual sleeve bearing Globe Fan connected straight to +12V.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me. I've seen a few of those fail on Deer PSUs, although I haven't had one turn itself into roasted venison like that. Usually, the toroid coil burns up and the PSU stops working long before it discolours the PCB like that.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

This was found without the fan and the cover, so there is no label.

Something very wrong happened to 5vsb. The fuse is open and the PCB is burnt both in secondary and primary around 5vsb circuit. The rest of the psu is ok.

It's the same platform as that: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37542
                          but corners have been cut:

Input filter is incomplete and consists of regular ceramic capacitors, not a single X or Y cap.

No PPFC

4 diodes for bridge rectifier

Fake ERL-35 transformer

Fake 19 5vsb transformer

No MOV

The secondary of the psu is good however, every rail has pi coil and 2 caps and the secondary schottky rectifier amperage is quite good too.

Not worth repairing..
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow. That's a pretty well-done 5vsb. Maybe it pulled a Bestec and turned into a 12vsb, burning up all of the other components downstream, and didn't have the required protections to shut down..

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              burning up all of the other components downstream, ...
                              ...including the poor motherboard probably..

Another burnt POS:

The caps in the photos are not the ones the psu came with. Moreover, some caps have been removed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Moreover, some caps have been removed.
                                Because those caps are high quality and they are great for recapping just about anything

Wow, that is crispy!
                                I still like the Deer better, though. I mean, who doesn't like the smell of freshly roasted Deer?

Comment

What are the transformer sizes if they are fake than?
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                    What are the transformer sizes if they are fake than?
                                    EI-33 probably.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

I am not sure what the functional difference between EI, ERL, EL, EE etc. cores is, if any, nobody really answered my questions some time ago when I started a thread for that. So I take it it is not as from my experience, all the transformers with tens of different labels look and work the same.

So the only thing we know for sure is the core diameter which the number represents. So the question is whether goodpsusearch measured the core and knows it is fake label, or did not and only thinks something. Sure it is also quite low so it is definitelly small, but it can still be low and real 35mm size.

Comment

ATNG slaps ERL-35 sticker on every main transformer, even if it is 33 size. If you desolder that transformer there is another sticker at the bottom of the transformer that states the correct size.

Comment

ATNG slaps ERL-35 sticker on every main transformer, even if it is 33 size. If you desolder that transformer there is another sticker at the bottom of the transformer that states the correct size.
                                          IIRC Deer and Sun Pro do that,and not ATNG,but I may be wrong.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X