Ratdude's Main Rig V4.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main Rig V4.1

It's been pretty stable from my limited testing... Run a few days straight without any BSODs (or mystery reboots). I did one hiccup but that was due to S3 sleep being enabled (bad idea for HW RAID cards as I've found out).

Seems like the issue was quirky CPUs... cool chips indeed, but not stable...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

BTW, here's a pic of the engineering sample CPUs:

Engineering samples: fun to play with, not so fun to use on a daily basis.
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

ES CPU's while not locked are not the cream of the crop. They are stepchild's of what is to come. As you said yourself "Engineering samples: fun to play with, not so fun to use on a daily basis". Bragging because they are not common is ok when it matters. In this case it does not, these are shit and you got suckered into the Engineering Sample Drama. Stop spending your money on shit already now that you have job and no longer are freeloaded on the government you should wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
          ES CPU's while not locked are not the cream of the crop. They are stepchild's of what is to come. As you said yourself "Engineering samples: fun to play with, not so fun to use on a daily basis". Bragging because they are not common is ok when it matters. In this case it does not, these are shit and you got suckered into the Engineering Sample Drama. Stop spending your money on shit already now that you have job and no longer are freeloaded on the government you should wake up.
          They were a GIFT. From Topcat no less. I never was a freeloader on the government by the way... other than tax refunds, I wasn't on welfare or medicaid.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
            LOL....did you miss your bran muffin this morning?!

Yes, you are correct about engineering samples... They are not the cat's ass they are hyped up to be, but like RD mentioned, a lot of fun to play around with.

They were given to me, I had fun with them, and passed them onto RD.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

yes es cpu's can be a mixed bag.
              i have some that are super overclockers and 24/7/365 stable.
              and some that are barely runnable at stock.
              they often have lots of unpatched issues too.
              not sure why folks pay stupid money for them.as in more than a production part.

Comment

^because they're "rare". They have a "leaked" feel, like contraband. Kinda like if one had an EV1 that didn't get crushed or disabled... practical, no; rare and unique, yes.

Due to V5.2 being unstable, I've been running this one to do stuff. It's very stable and running well. 99.9% sure the ES CPUs were to blame... who cares, it's working, so I'm not complaining.

4GB modules are getting cheap:
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dataram-6335...torefresh=true

I saw another listing for $3 shipped but there were only 3 left. I best offered ^ instead. Edit- I was able to offer them down to $4 a pop... Still, $16 shipped isn't too bad.

This thing can run them; 4 of them would be 8 ranks and the max of 16GB (I have 8GB currently). For under $20 (and potentially under $15) that's pretty nice. Doesn't compare to the 32GB (64GB max) of V5.2, but for what this will be doing 16GB is plenty.
                Last edited by ratdude747; 07-02-2016, 09:26 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I'll bump this with a little thing to note. While it is currently sitting (having been replaced by the faster V3.8), it was quite the nice rig to web surf on (and the like). Very smooth. With 16GB of RAM I doubt it really ever hit the page file... I will have to find a use for it, even if that's hooked to a TV or something as some sort of media box. IDK, it's too nice to abandon. Too many rigs I guess...
                  sigpic

Comment

...and a year and a half later, I have a use.

I recently bought a house and ended up adding a front entry area LAN connection.

I don't have a desk for her yet, but I do have the other goodies:

That's a 20" Acer P205H 1600x900 glossy "Gaming" (low latency) monitor. I have a 24" 180p LED-backlit Hanns G unit to upgrade with if I ever get around to recapping it. For now, this will do.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Glad its back in action. I reread the whole thread just to refresh myself of this system....and realized this is where my X6DAI originated... I still use that system to this day!

I don't have the heart to retire it.....it functions great for what I demand of it.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Finally found a desk:

Nice solid wood. I think this used to be a dorm/school desk, because of this sticker inside:

You know things are real when the desk has a legal disclaimer. Also must be old, as nothing good is made on Washington St. in Indy any more (other than skyline chili by 465)... Poor Flick can back me up on this one. Edit- they're still in business, but now in Greenfield, IN (much safer place east of Indy on I-70).

Still, for $25, not too shabby?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 12-17-2017, 05:17 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Probably made by a 'sheltered workshop' (physically/mentally challenged people) or prison inmates.... You can tell by looking that it's hand-made. Quite classy compared to pressed wood garbage.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Coming soon:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...EAAOSw-RFaZkGr

As it turns out, apparently these things do run Paxvilles (unofficially, at least), and at that price I'd be a fool not to try a pair. Not sure how twin 2.8's compare against single 3.8's on windows 7.

If this works, I have some spare DDR1 400 sitting (spares for V2.8 that were not needed), so maybe it's time to hotflash (revive) my spare X6DAE-G from the start of the thread and keep my eyes open for a case and coolers (and a few other odds and ends I'll need)?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              Edit- they're still in business, but now in Greenfield, IN (much safer place east of Indy on I-70).
                              Is it like Greenfield, NH? (A tiny town that don't allow much businesses) (In Greenfield, NH, you're lucky to find a convenience store, a police station and >maybe< something like a Goodwill, if not a Goodwill. Greenfield, NH is nothing like a major chunk of Hillsborough County, NH, which is pretty much New Hampshire's version of Massachusetts, such cities in Hillsborough County, would be Manchester, Nashua, Amherst and Hollis. (IIRC))
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-18-2018, 09:37 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Finally got around to recapping the 24" 1080P slim LED Hanns-G LCD... which was a complete success:

Coke can for scale. It's not nearly as massive as Topcat's 30" monster, but it's it's the biggest LCD I have currently (Second place: my 2 22" 16:10 LCD's on main rig V6 in the office). Really nice display quality too. Not bad for $10 at Goodwill, a random >3A 12V brick, and < $10 of caps?

------------

The Acer Gaming LCD died... won't turn on at all. Recapped it, still no good. No power light or anything... bad power switch? Until I got the above unit fixed, I picked up a HP S2031 unit to get me by (not a bad LCD, minus some weird crosshatch pattern on the screen which I read is probably a misaligned polarization filter (panel defect from the factory?).
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by ratdude747; 04-30-2018, 12:47 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Since Topcat was able to to make Paxvilles run in one of these, and I was able to get a pair for $20 shipped :jaw:, I figured I'd try it myself in this rig.

His benchmarks that I will be referencing: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...947#post825947

First, some interesting pictures:

Thanks to it being dual die, these things are massive compared to irwindales:

It's so big it's bigger than the socket and overhangs a bit on the end:

Compare that to an Irwindale (same size as Nocona and Gallatin):

After the install... she posts!

Took a few starts to make it boot to windows... odd. Hopefully this isn't a repeat of the 3.6 ES chips from the start of the thread. So far it's rock solid though.

Confirmed in CPU-Z:

I ran a novabench benchmark on it a few weeks ago, which I can use to compare the 3.8 Iriwindales to these Paxvilles. Lucklily the latest version of Novabench safes old results and allows for convenient comparisons:

Funny, it's showing the Paxvilles as slower, the exact opposite of Topcat's findings. My Windows Experience index also dropped.

All I changed was the CPUs and the AS5 compound (and monitors, as per my last post... it's higher resolution...). Same RAM (16GB DDR2), GPU (Geforce 9800 GT EE), and HDDs (two 7200RPM 160GB's on a RAID 0 9650 w/BBU).

BTW, the 1080p@60 youtube buffering issue didn't go away either.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 05-13-2018, 01:52 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

^
                                    Only one CPU is showing up, thats why the results are off.

^^^^^^ You'll note that the "socket #1" dropdown is grayed out, there should be a live dropdown displaying socket #2.

^^^^^^ To confirm: If HT is enabled (which it is by default), that should show 8.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

^Son of a ******

Bad CPU? HT is enabled as per that screen. Will reseat and try again.
                                      sigpic

Comment

I think I see what is going on here... and it's not good.

Topcat, your X6DA8 did the same thing:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...72&postcount=3

Likewise, with either 1 or 2 CPUs installed I get the same screen. Device manager only shows 4 CPUs in either case. Both of my CPUs are good (ran it on one CPU using each). My CPU2 socket is also good, as I was seeing everything with the irwindales.

What I suspect is there is some board quirk making this thing max out at 4 CPUs, and that is why they're not listed as compatible on SM's site. Yes, sure, it will boot, but if you can't get all 8 threads, what's the point?
                                        sigpic

Comment

My X6DA8 ran them, both sockets. The pic I posted was only one socket populated for POST testing purposes. I did however run into this with the X6DAL, as I mentioned in the thread, it would only run one CPU.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X