Sony card reader

New stuff (confirmed):

psu: 600W Ultra xfinity, recapped and modded
    mobo: Supermicro x5dal-tg2*
    CPUs- Intel Xeon 3.2ghz Gallatin 1M x2
    cooling- HP workstation coolers*, 90mm jamicon case fan
    RAM- 2x 512mb ECC PC1200 DDR**
    TV tuner: ATI HDTV wonder
    other cards: 3ware 9500S 4 port SATA 150, LSI firewire card (w/front header), chaintech 7.1 audio w/ AC97 header*
    floppy drive

*- Not in my possesion yet, still in the mail
    **- may be 4x the modules, I may be able to get a 4th module (I am pairing my RAM)

Unknown:

GPU- this may be a an NVIDIA 6600GT 256mb, depending on if and when the person who has it can find and get it shipped. May also be soemthing else, see the ATI AGP thread in the "looking to buy" forum. For now, I have a dell pulled Nvidia Geforce 5200FX 128mb to toss in

---

I plan to run Ubuntu 11.10 Gnome Remix on it... so far, under the existing rig with the new tuner, all is running well...

pics to come once I have enough parts to fire it up... and yes, I will be running F@H on it.

sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Ratdude's Main rig V2

Enjoy :-)

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      Enjoy :-)
      and... ?
      sigpic

Comment

Theres some really nifty things in there..... Good choice, can never go wrong with a supermicro!!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Theres some really nifty things in there..... Good choice, can never go wrong with a supermicro!!
          or a Tyan, minus the few with canicons (aka what brought me to BCN in the first place)

good thing I noticed that single drives are allowed by the the 3ware card... unless hdds get cheaper, It will have to stay a single drive

now if only I could get the GPU issue resolved...
          sigpic

Comment

ahh yes Ill get to storage tomorrow to find it. I believe I know where it is in storage. You only have two 266's? I thought you said you had 3

kinda sucks this board only takes 266, even though it can take a 533 bus xeon. and I thought in a previous PM you had two 3.6's
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              ahh yes Ill get to storage tomorrow to find it. I believe I know where it is in storage. You only have two 266's? I thought you said you had 3

kinda sucks this board only takes 266, even though it can take a 533 bus xeon. and I thought in a previous PM you had two 3.6's
              I do have 3... but IIRC you have to pair the chips, so I can only use 2 until I have 4.

did I say 3.6? the fastest gallatins were 3.2ghz... which is what I got.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                or a Tyan
                Yes....surely you remember the Frankenserver...
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Yes....surely you remember the Frankenserver...
                  We all do...
                  sigpic

Comment

love for the tyan tiger mpx's I got here

Comment

Make sure your firmware is updated on the 3ware card I have quite a few in the field and with high i/o it resets the card. All supposedly fixed in the new firmware. Nice build by the way.

Comment

Bad news: while test-fitting the 3ware, I snapped on of the pins on the activy LED header pins.

Good news: I was able to fix it:

On the plus side, this makes it easier to plug in the HDD led and fixes the clearance issue with the header... right below the card, there will be the tuner:

top to bottom ( device (slot) ):

-AGP GPU (AGP8x)
                        -1394 (PCI)
                        -Sound card (PCI)
                        -controller (PCI-X 100MHz)
                        -Tuner (PCI-X-66MHz)

yup, all slots will be filled...

I know the fix is , but does it look ok anyway?

edit- noted about the FW. I'll do that as soon as the rig is built.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 03-14-2012, 08:28 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

do you even use firewire?

that tuner is not PCI-X 66mhz but PCI on a PCI-X slot, right?

Comment

sd 4:0:1:0: WARNING: (0x06:0x002C): Command (0x35) timed out, resetting card.
                            Mar 13 16:19:20 kernel: 3w-9xxx: scsi4: AEN: INFO (0x04:0x005E): Cache synchronization completed:unit=1.
                            kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 487966679
                            kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 60995827
                            kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sdb1
                            kernel: Aborting journal on device sdb1.
                            kernel: ext3_abort called.
                            kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
                            kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only
                            kernel: __journal_remove_journal_head: freeing b_committed_data

Just figured I would give you an example of the error I am getting on another one of my servers here at work. I am just about to update the firmware on the card and after that it will not reset.

No it's not a bad hard drive either I was fooled at first by the error.

I will look tonight to see if I have any older agp cards in my stash and let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                              do you even use firewire?

that tuner is not PCI-X 66mhz but PCI on a PCI-X slot, right?
                              correct. I wanted to save the PCI-X 100mhz slot for the 3ware controller.

the firewire is mainly to utilize the front firewire port of the case... It gets used once in a while (plus, If I ever get a decent camcorder in the future, I'll need it)
                              sigpic

Comment

I got the sound card in today.

All works great on it... even the AC97 port (why I bought it)

pics to come later.
                                sigpic

Comment

Surprise tonight. The coolers arrived... at my old house in West Lafayette, IN.

My only guess why is because the coolers came from hypermicro's warehouse (that other site I bought from had a lot of the same stuff, no shock) and I bet they found my old, obsolete hypermicro account with the old address.

I found out because I was staying there tonight for a FIRST robotice regional I am volunteering at tomorrow (well, today tecnically) and Saturday. I arrived to the house and to my shock I find a fedex note on the door and a hypermicro box below, with the coolers inside.

since I brought my camera, some pics:

the side shown by the site's pics:

the other side:

and the mounting system:

(According to the "seller", the mainboard yet to be shipped has matching threaded backplates)

I will be swapping the fans with a pair of cooler master labeled deltas pulled form some junk 478 celeron Compaq presarios... the replacement fans will have longer cables (needed) and also will run quieter while still moving air (my board doesn't have PWM). Once I get to my current home on sunday, I will swap and take piics of that.

I also got a $2 discount per CPU ($10 instead of $12) because they were listed as new but they went to ship them and found they were used and had a few "marks". They offered a refund or a $2/cpu discount... you can see which I took... and heck, for $10 a pop, IMHO its a steal. (604 coolers are not cheap).

Comments?
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 03-15-2012, 11:17 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

damn. you might be a little pissed at me, now I remember I actually have a dual 939 opteron MB (MSI), two opterons, and they can actually take that heatsink. You know what, I just might use this as my shop box cause my A8N-E is acting wierd

oh yeah and reg ddr ecc 400 ram, two gigs of it

Comment

hey can you point me to the page where they sell those, Might want them, I'll eventually have to get coolers for this thing. It has one with the 4 like above, and it has an adapter for those type of heatsinks turning into a socket423 heatsink.

Comment

ah this is it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130436

appearently it CAME with those adapters, but the person who built the computer for my sisters ex-bf decided to take one of those off and replace it with a normal heatsink like above (I later built him a sandy-bridge xeon /w 16GB of ram and two raid arrays in exchange for $100 + his old computer)

oh hey rat didn't you say you had an old 3dfx card? If you're looking to do a 3dfx upgrade (instead of nvidia or ati) I have a Voodoo 5 5500. works too
                                        Last edited by Uranium-235; 03-16-2012, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X