This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

ever stopped to think the pics are from his auction?
    look at the location!
    Originally posted by kaboom View Post
    I know exactly how much ya got it for: nothing. "If ya know what I mean."

Nice try. If you had it, why are those ebay pix?

Gonna use the forum to commit larceny now? And "soliciting" others to aid, abet, and receive stolen property?

What a clown...

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
      ever stopped to think the pics are from his auction?
      Look at the location!
      lolololololololololol
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        lolololololololololol
        Trololololo, lololo-lololo

"Working vintage"

I sometimes work on older stereo receivers, Sansuis, Kenwoods, Onkyos (Oinkers), Sanyos...

Before I get to them, they're also "Working Vintage." Working at blowing their vintage caps, that is...

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
        Originally posted by shango066
        All style and no substance.
        Originally posted by smashstuff30
        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

missed the dork squad warrenty.
          nice catch!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
            missed the dork squad warrenty.
            nice catch!
            It's a 486-25, with 4MB RAM. So it's gotta be worth exactly $726.38.

It is vintage, after all.
            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

I thought I mentioned this before, but maybe not. A few weeks ago, my neighbor let me have his 24-inch CRT TV (no remote). He was disappointed the trash man did not take it, so I got it. The original owner couldn't get it to work, so he gave it to my neighbor. My neighbor also couldn't get it to work. I used a universal remote and it was working in minutes.

My cheap/free scores are never as good as the rest of the people here, but for me, this is a big score.

You'll always need to use a converter box with it, and colors might not be perfect all the time, and it is 4 by 3, but it's bigger than the 13-inch I had been using!

(One other notable score is an 80 GB (3.5-inch) EIDE Samsung hard drive from CompUSA for $10 after rebate.)
              Last edited by Hondaman; 07-29-2013, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondaman View Post
                I thought I mentioned this before, but maybe not. A few weeks ago, my neighbor let me have his 24-inch CRT TV (no remote). He was disappointed the trash man did not take it, so I got it. The original owner couldn't get it to work, so he gave it to my neighbor. My neighbor also couldn't get it to work. I used a universal remote and it was working in minutes.

My cheap/free scores are never as good as the rest of the people here, but for me, this is a big score.

You'll always need to use a converter box with it, and colors might not be perfect all the time, and it is 4 by 3, but it's bigger than the 13-inch I had been using!

(One other notable score is an 80 GB (3.5-inch) EIDE Samsung hard drive from CompUSA for $10 after rebate.)
                You spent money on an IDE disk? lol

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  You spent money on an IDE disk? lol
                  Depends on how long ago. Also, for older systems IDE is still valid. PATA 133 is the same speed as SATA150 after all... granted, they do make adapters (I have one I keep for testing)
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^ CompUSA has been long gone now, so if this was a few years back before they closed, it would be a really good deal.

Just 2 months ago, I bought a 60 GB refurbed IDE HDD at MicroCenter for $4. That's 15 GB to the $1. Not bad IMO.

Now here's something I got that I thought wasn't that good of a score: 2 old keyboard. They came with the 2 CRT monitors I picked up from Craigslist last month. It turned out one of the keyboards is an IBM Model M. Haven't tested it yet, but it seems to be in good condition and not that dirty at all. The other keyboard is a Dell with the same 101-key identical design (i.e. no Windows keys). It doesn't use a buckle spring mechanism, though. Still quite clicky, nonetheless. I think they'll make good gaming keyboards .
                    Last edited by momaka; 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I can't find any cheap hardware. The cheapest place that I can find old stuff is eBay, and it's easy to get screwed there. I can either spend $60 on a 40GB 4200 RPM laptop hard drive or hope that a $20 40GB 5400 RPM drive from eBay is still good.

Comment

mfj-993b autotuner on cl for $20.
                        just needed a meter light and the cover painted.
                        some cb'er had it and didnt have a clue.

Comment

Saw a TV with a broken back cover on the side of the road the other day, so I took some tools with me yesterday and went to salvage parts from it. Almost everything was still inside except for the board that attaches to the neck of the tube, the red HV wire from the flyback, and the electron gun assembly (so as you might imagine, the neck of the tube was broken too). I forgot to check the brand and model of this TV, but it must have been a Sony judging by the flyback design (2 focus knobs) and the part numbers on the boards, which are all made by Sony.

Even though some of the boards are broken, there are still a lot of useful parts on them. I think the most useful are from the power supply - full input filter, nice bridge rectifier, two 250V 560uF Rubycon capacitors, and lots of other goodies. The audio board may also come useful. It has a Toshiba T8216H 13 Watt SE stereo amplifier IC on it (not the best in terms of specs, but might come in useful for a cheap amplifier project). Speaking of audio, I also got 2 speakers out of this TV. Not sure of their rating as it's not printed on them. Will probably have to look up their numbers. But they look beefy enough for 3 to 5 Watts RMS. Good enough for computer speakers I suppose (not that I have use for any).
                          Last edited by momaka; 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

You spent money on an IDE disk?
                            It was in the autumn of 2005. At that point I was using the Athlon 2900 (32-bit). EIDE drives are still helpful for USB external housings, older machines, and as a "scratch pad" or temporary storage for important files from some other drive before reformatting. And today the drive still has very, very few hours of use on it.
                            Last edited by Hondaman; 08-13-2013, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              I think I also have that Sony E540 21" CRT coming my way soon, too.
                              ... And it's here, sitting in my closet until I find a computer to assign it to.
                              Now I have 5 CRTs in my dorm room (3x 21", 1x 19", 1x 17") . Good thing we have high beds, or else I wouldn't know where to store them all . Right now using the 21" Hitachi SuperScan 814. The aforementioned 19" Dell is a M990 - nothing spectacular, but it's got a really short back, which makes it neat for shallow desks. I think I'm going to return either the E540 or the D1626HT back home and put it on my desk as my secondary monitor.

So let's take count... I now have two 24" GDM-FW900s (one of which is dead), three 21" (two Sony, one Hitachi), two 19" (both shadow mask), and two 17". That makes a total of 9 CRT monitors, 8 of which are usable.
                              ... and to think all of these were going to be thrown away .
                              Also have another 17" in my grandmother's house, but that's far away from home, so I'm not counting it. Otherwise it would be 10 total.

Comment

I avoid CRT Monitors anymore, but I did get a nice find on CL about 2 months ago.

HP 2311x LED Monitor, less than 2 years old, $25. The guy just didn't know what he had.........

Comment

iirc i saved the boards from mine when the crt went to air.
                                  if i can find them they could be yours.

So let's take count... I now have two 24" GDM-FW900s (one of which is dead),

Comment

^ Seems like mine met the same fate, unfortunately. Internal arcing in tube whenever tube HV anode is connected. Already tried a new flyback too.

Comment

^ Seems like mine met the same fate, unfortunately. Internal arcing in tube whenever tube HV anode is connected. Already tried a new flyback too.
                                      I ASSume you mean arcing in the neck?

A purplish or bluish white?
                                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

yes arcing in the neck.
                                        now wheres that tombstone smiley.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Gosh, where to start!?

2 42" plasmas both work
                                          2 viore units 24" and 26", replaced caps in both, working
                                          4 19" units (diff models) replaced caps, all working
                                          1 42" vizio, working on it now
                                          1 36" vizio, working on it now
                                          1 32" vizio, working on it now
                                          1 32" LG working
                                          10-12 17"-22" computer monitors, 8 working
                                          1 quad core unit with 4 gig mem, 500gig hd 1 gig video double dvd burners, WIN 7 loaded and working
                                          2 dual core units, with misc equip and hard drives working
                                          4 Misc laptops, 3 working
                                          3 surround sound units, all working after repair
                                          2 blue ray players, working
                                          3 dvd players, working
                                          2 apple units (with discs), 1 working after reload 1 haven't worked on yet
                                          2 car dvd players
                                          2 boxes of military equipment, including vests (not bullet proof type), distress beacons, self inflatable raft, gun holsters, pepper sprays ect.
                                          4 24 port hubs working
                                          5 misc routers working
                                          3 external computer dvd units
                                          2 external hdd units
                                          2 zeon servers
                                          misc computer cases and equipment

I'm sure I missed a few things

Oh guess I should also say I WORK in the garbage industry so if you missed it I most likely found it!

Comment

Working...
                                          X