Anybody here still uses Win 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody here still uses Win 7?

No, the Pentium-M and Atom are laptops and incidental use computers... but they are kept up to date.

Comment

what is your main computer?
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Old Sandybridge + Radeon HD 6450... I'm not so certain this 6450 is a whole lot faster than the HD3000 but at least it supports OpenCL.

Comment

I`m still running Win 7 here.
          The wife uses 10 because she has some software that requires it.

Win 10 is kinda like switching the brake and clutch pedal around and
          trying parallel park on a hill!

Comment

Originally posted by volkswagenvan View Post
            I love it...

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
            Originally posted by shango066
            All style and no substance.
            Originally posted by smashstuff30
            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

That's one of the best ones yet!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

LI use Windows 10. Some programs no longer run on Win7
                Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

I don't recall ever using a win10 machine yet...

rejected the downgrade when it was offered on my win7-64/win8.1-32 machines. Do not have space for it.

still don't get why windows7/8.1/... use so much space...

Comment

I'm still using Windows 7. AsRock 970A-G/3.1 motherboard, AMD FX8150 chip, 16 GB RAM, Radeon 6670 video (second-fastest video card ever made that is completely air-cooled, but I put a 120mm fan on it anyway).

I put my household expenses into a spreadsheet I bought from simpleplanning dot net. I probably don't need to do this, I have enough money and I can reasonably plan my retirement now. But my life -- my documents, spreadsheets, photos, etc can all be managed with the software tools I have now. So why should I upgrade?

When Win7 is really, really no longer supported, well, I have been using Linux since July 1998. Sometimes I have used it 99% of the time, other years my use was 1%. If linux does not like my wifi chip, I may have to use a different distro or just use run an ethernet cable across my kitchen floor. Right now, I plan to use Linux in a post-Win 7 world.

In the past, I have made Office 97 and Office 2003 work with Crossover Office. If I must run Office under Linux in a post-Win 7 future, I can do so. If I must stay with an older version of linux or Crossover, and the browser is not secure, then I'll have to dedicate a machine for my household recordkeeping that will NOT be connected to the internet.
                    Last edited by Hondaman; 12-25-2021, 12:43 AM.

Comment

I have a customer who gets Shuttles XH110 and I get an i5-6500T from ebay and now even though the bios does not say, it will take an NVME drive. After integrating the nvme hotfixes and of course the intel USB 3.0 drivers it will take win7 right out of the box

Comment

every PC I have is Win 7. I'll never use Win 8 or 10, 11 looks mildly interesting, but I am likely Win7 until 2023 security updates and then jumping ship to Linux for my online stuff and use a Win7 VM offline for doing anything actually productive

Comment

For gaming you MUST use win10 for pretty much all the latest games. I don't do any work on it and disabled what I could afa telemetry

Comment

Happy new year to everyone!

A good friend of mine sold me a cheap Lenovo Ideapad 330 with Ryzen 2700U that is thermal throttled too easily but that's for another thread.

The laptop is very mediocre and has things that I really hate. Many things I hate on this lapptop but the worse is that it has no dedicated Home and End buttons that are so convenient when browsing pages, pdfs, etc

But it costed only 120 euros so I cannot complain.

Anyway, Windows 7 are totally not supported on this kind of hardware and there is really no point and time to experiment with hacks on registry and custom drivers, so I run W10.

What a terrible OS. So many things I don't like. The settings section is a mess, you cannot accomplish anything fast and easy there, also no multiple open instances of settings. If you try to open second instance the 1st one that is already open gets replaced and then you have to reopen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                              For gaming you MUST use win10 for pretty much all the latest games. I don't do any work on it and disabled what I could afa telemetry
                              Win10 enterprise (or S2K16) is safe to use for production; telemetry can be completely killed without any 3rd party utilities....nor will any updates magically turn any of it back on. Win10 Home or Pro, I agree...it'd never be on one of my production systems.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                ... so I run W10.

What a terrible OS. So many things I don't like. The settings section is a mess, you cannot accomplish anything fast and easy there, also no multiple open instances of settings. If you try to open second instance the 1st one that is already open gets replaced and then you have to reopen it.
                                ^ This 100000%
                                This is exactly what I ran into when trying to configure a Windows 10 PC for a family friend. I've done probably a few 100's of Win10 installs at a previous job, but I never went to configure them in detail past installing the drivers. So this was my first, and I too kept getting bugged like you by a billion small things that just didn't make sense or were completely counter-intuitive. I think Microsoft either has lost track of what goes where in the OS or they really made this shit so confusing on purpose so that no average user can understand what settings are enabled and disabled on their PC by default... and by default, most of the useless shit is enabled!

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                FWIW, this post was made from WinXP on a P4 system with Firefox 24.8.1
                                As nice as Firefox 24 was, it's super-duper outdated and won't render most modern pages well.
                                Try Mypal instead. It's essentially Pale Moon, but for XP. Will render almost all modern pages OK. Just going to be very slow on a Pentium 4 (ask me how I know this! )

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                Of course, any respectable Badcaps user would not touch anything newer than Windows 7 with a 100 foot barge pole!
                                ^ This.

7 is the newest I will go.

If really needed, I might set up a Win10 box just for gaming, as I had a few popular titles refuse to run recently, despite supposedly still supporting Windows 7.

Actually, it was the Epic games launcher - had a problem with it last year where once it updated from version 10 to 11 (IIRC), it stopped working - something to do with function calls within a DLL file associated with DirecX 11. At the time, my system had (and still has) the latest DirectX updates, along with latest GPU drivers (which a few Epic games didn't seem to understand and kept telling me to update my drivers, despite my card being a legacy Radeon that no longer sees driver updates.) So it was something that Epic just goofed up. Luckily, I had an older version of the Epic launcher on another PC. I copy-pasta'd that onto the affected machine, and sure enough I was able to launch the Epic "launcher" (lol!) No problems playing the games once I did that, at least until shutting down / restarting the launcher again. So I had to do the copy-pasta thing every time I wanted to use that PC... and did so for almost a year. Then finally as Epic Games released more updates, their launcher issue literally fixed itself one day... and still is fine. But now FortNut (Fortnite ) is doing something similar for me, so I can't start it.

So anyways... support for Windows 7 stuff is slowly but surely dwindling away. Of course, I'm sure there will be enough "die-hard" fans to keep software supported for many more years, just like whoever made the Mypal browser.

I haven't made the 'linux leap' because of all the utilities I need.
                                Same.
                                I know Linux has a ton of free and very decent (to very good) replacements for some of my Windows software... but it's still not at the point where I'm willing to jump ships.

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                The only issue is the lack of modern browsers, as Firefox 52 ESR can't load a lot of websites these days, either due to failing to render JavaScript elements or the site itself having an a$$hole script that blocks "unsupported" browsers.
                                Firefox ESR is quite shit, TBH.
                                I ditched the XP version for close to a year now and I couldn't be happier. It kept pinging my CPU with very high usage every 5-7 minutes at 100% for about a minute or so. And if I happened to be doing anything in FF ESR at that time, it would freeze for the minute or so it was doing this crap. Granted this was on a Pentium 4 PC, which is a dinosaur at this point... but no browser should be doing that kind of resource hogging. With FF 24, this does not happen. Sadly, FF 24 is too old for online use. So I switched to Mypal and forgot all about FF ESR. This is on Windows XP, of course. And if you're on 7, then FF Quantum still supports it and actually runs reasonably well even on very old (but decent enough dual-core) hardware. Vista is probably the worst choice, because FF Quantum no longer supports it. And on that note, I don't know if even Pale Moon does (IIRC, Pale Moon also requires Windows 7 as a minimum.) Meanwhile, Mypal was made for XP... so perhaps it might work on Vista, or perhaps it might not. If it does, then that should solve your problems with FF ESR - or in particular, allow you to ditch it.
                                In any case, I would probably never use Vista for anything. It has neither the benefits of XP nor 7, so to me, it's one of those OSes that is just very pointless - kind of like Windows ME.

I`m still running Win 7 here.
                                The wife uses 10 because she has some software that requires it.

LOL!

Pretty much true, unfortunately.
                                Last edited by momaka; 01-10-2022, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  As nice as Firefox 24 was, it's super-duper outdated and won't render most modern pages well.
                                  Try Mypal instead. It's essentially Pale Moon, but for XP. Will render almost all modern pages OK. Just going to be very slow on a Pentium 4 (ask me how I know this! )
                                  Any system I've got this on is usually P4 or older. I recall trying to install MyPal on a Tualatin system, it wouldn't....some instruction set was missing (I don't remember which)....but FF24 will run old world internet sites fine....like BCN!

Ohh I know how you know that.....I think in the P4 department, your hoard....err, 'collection' is larger than mine!

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  Same.
                                  I know Linux has a ton of free and very decent (to very good) replacements for some of my Windows software... but it's still not at the point where I'm willing to jump ships.
                                  This completely. I still have a XP32 and a win7 system (my former office system) running just for the utilities. They will never see newer OS's.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

i have win 10 on all my pc's and i only use 7 on old pc's that can't run 10 or that i need them to be with win 7 or xp (i only have this on a relic and massive hp dv8000 laptop) as i use them as dedicated laptops for various apps and programs that don't run well on 10

Comment

Any system I've got this on is usually P4 or older. I recall trying to install MyPal on a Tualatin system, it wouldn't....some instruction set was missing (I don't remember which)
                                      Ah yes, you're right, that would be a show-stopper for older PCs.
                                      To run Mypal (on XP)... or Pale Moon (on Windows 7) for that matter, your CPU needs to support SSE2 instruction set.

....but FF24 will run old world internet sites fine....like BCN!
                                      Yeah, on that note, I agree - FF24 will still let you get at least to some old websites (IMO, those are some of the best anyways.)

On that note, it may also be a good idea to try Opera 12.18 along FF 24. It takes a lot less RAM to run things, so even a box with 256 MB should be able to handle websites like BCN pretty fast.

I think in the P4 department, your hoard....err, 'collection' is larger than mine!
                                      Could be.

The hoarder side of me is sure not helping it any, either.

Perhaps someday I'll get to build my own retro PC cafe with these. (That would actually be a blast!) I don't know why I feel so nostalgic about sweaty, crowded PC cafes wreaking of "hot electronics" and cigarette smoke - I'm not a smoker nor have ever even tried it, when it comes to the latter.

Comment

Apparently ReactOS can run Firefox 48, but that implies your PC is actually able to run ROS straight out of the box without ROS completely failing when it comes to drivers e.g. not being stuck in 640x480, 16 colors, no video acceleration, no sound, no ethernet and no USB. I'd rather not be stuck in 1995.

No, I haven't bothered trying it as ROS has been in an alpha state since forever and XP SP3 is still in front in virtually department aside from the open source one. Maybe I should resurrect a crappy old P3/P4 for the cause, but I'm running short of HDDs and power supplies (I have plenty of RAM and CD/DVD drives).

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                          Old Sandybridge + Radeon HD 6450... I'm not so certain this 6450 is a whole lot faster than the HD3000 but at least it supports OpenCL.
                                          I have 4 sandy bridge lenovo M series I5 desktops, also use hd6450 on one of them for streaming HDMI output to tv, and it's been great, also use win 10 with google chrome, win tries to impose me Edge when i reinstall system, after i tweak it ,it won't bother me no more. Be aware that win will try also to impose Win updates to install win eleven that's when it may mess up system if your hardware is older as Sandy bridge.it happened to me one time. Besides that win is better than Linux if you have to use it for kids school stuff, and gaming.

Comment

Working...
                                          X