Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harmon Kardon HK206 PC speakers

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
    Messed this up by trying to work on this small shit, lost patience and screwed it up, lifted these 2 pads. Do you think It can be fixed with copper tape, not sure how to attach or ?
    Yeah, should still be fixable fairly easily. No need for copper tape or anything exotic. Just use some wire or jumpers to connect the component on the other side. This is not FPGA, antenna, or some other high-frequency circuit, where changing the trace length/position will mess something up.

Comment

Thanks Momaka, I can't tell where I need to attach the wire, I think I need to scrape some green mask off to expose good copper but I can't tell where.

Comment

Post a pic of what you're working with so we can advise better.

Comment

It's right there post #20, the 2 circled pads are gone, my camera is down, I'll try to get a good picture with another one but it might not give good detail.
          Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-14-2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Pictures:
            Attached Files

Comment

Here you go, I've drawn on both diagrams to help you see where the jumpers/wires need to go.
              I'd solder a solid link directly the the leg of the other component for the left hand pad and a wire to the back of the other one. You can scratch the solder mask away off the thin track if you want but it's unnecessary work.
              You might need to hold the component down with a dab of hot glue/rtv silicone on the other side of the PCB.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok, thanks, I'll try to undo the mess I made of this poor board.

Comment

When I was correcting the solder joints for the wire, I seem to recall having trouble with lifting, too. It's been a while so I may be remembering wrong, but I seem to recall wanting to get another set of these, using both R speakers (which dont contain the amp), and making the amplifier external by use if enclosure because my OCD will always nag me about the internal airspace of one speaker being different than the other since that is technically a no-no in audio. ��
                  Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Finally got it fixed, a big thanks to Diff, Momaka and everyone for sharing the knowledge.

Comment

You're welcome, good job !

Comment

HI, I am basically completely new to this kind of work. I have a pair of HK speakers HK206, and the volume of one of the speakers, the one where the circuit board is located, is fading. I checked the following video to try how to solve the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHz-mC_xyzA

It looks quite simple to do the work. My speakers are just like the ones in the video. In 2011 someone in this site posted a similar problem to mine, and posted that these are the parts needed in order to fully repair the problem.

"These are the caps that need to be replaced:
                        2x 1000uF 16V 8x16mm, 770mA ripple current
                        2x 100uF 10V 5x11mm, 165mA
                        2x 100uF 25V 5x11mm, 190mA
                        4x 0.47uF 50V 5x11mm, 14mA
                        1x 470uF 25V 8x16mm, 530mA"

Is information correct? Thanks for your input.

Comment

That's a completely different board, so it will probably have different parts.

If you completely lose sound from one speaker, the most likely cause is the cable or volume control. If the sound is just quiet, then it will be something else.

I made that post in 2011, and the problem was different. Both speakers worked at equal volume, but the bass was weak (even for speakers this small) and I remember some squealing unless the volume was kept quiet (below reasonable listening levels).
                          Last edited by lti; 05-06-2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by needed02@yahoo.com.mx View Post
                            Is information correct? Thanks for your input.
                            Best way to know: open the speakers and check. I don't like to rely on Youtube videos - there's a lot of them with people doing things but not really knowing what they are doing exactly.

That said, even better if you can take some pictures of your speakers (and internal boards) and post them here so we can verify.

By "fading sounds" on one speaker, what exactly do you mean? Is it just more quiet? And also, does it go up and down in volume unpredictably by itself, or does it stay consistently quieter? These questions may help determine what the issue is. But as lti suggested, check the cables and also check for any bad solder joints first. The volume pot could also be bad. Once these issues are checked for, then worry about the information on the capacitors... though it may not be needed if they are not the issue. "Blindly" replacing parts without trying to see what the issue is may not get your speakers repaired... and that could be frustrating, as you would be wasting time and money on parts that may not have been the issue.
                            Last edited by momaka; 05-10-2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X