3d printed electronics bench accessories and equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3d printed electronics bench accessories and equipment

I know at least some of you have 3d printers. So show us what you have printed.

I'll start this is my latest. Not my design, but happy I have this printed out. My resistors were all in a box, and the strips they were attached to long ago lost their stickiness. So, I sorted them all (ouch) and put them in the drawers. I need to print some labels and attach them, but at least they are in order now.

There are some pretty impressive prints using the same design here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3873672/makes

Attached Files

Re: 3d printed electronics bench accessories and equipment

TBH I've not really printed much for myself, think the only jewel I made with my 3d printer is the fix for my electric knife that was in the "Pointless Repairs" thread.

Another silly thing that I made were clips that I could clip my box fan into a window, before I was using a ladder as a weight to push the fan against the window, now with the clips the fan holds against the window so I can cool the house at night.

As for stuff that I just printed, nothing much spectacular. I liked the button cell boxes on Thingiverse, no more dropping a whole bunch of LR44's and CR2032s that short each other out. Then there's the knobs and buttons available, I have a 3d printed knob on a virtual trash pick UHF LMRS radio I'm using as a 70cm amateur radio. Also made a case for my antenna analyzer.

Then there's the pending... I need to make a box for my analog ESR meter, and a box for my AVR90S2313 DDS signal generator. Both of these need to be custom.
    Also dabbling in trying to make parts: I have an old CB handheld transceiver that was missing its battery pack, a 3d printed pack sounds like something. I'm also thinking about creating the "tone generator" pack for my Kenwood TR-2500 attachment so I can switch CTCSS tones, but that might be a bit ways away. I'm using the internal tone generator at the moment, which is annoying because not all repeaters use the same tone.

Alas most of the stuff I've printed is for friends ... I don't think I've gotten through a full reel of plastic for stuff for me, but got through more than two reels for others.

---

Oh...one project that's sort of indefinitely on hold because I have no need as it's currently working:
    My Tektronix 2465's fan impeller blades are in bad shape. Guess what I'm going to make when it breaks?
    I'm quite surprised how quiet the 2465 is, and hope that a PLA 3d-printed impeller blades will be quieter than having to retrofit a noisy muffin box fan - of which an adapter could be made from plastic...
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-11-2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

and as said in the other thread...a 3d printed case for my transistortestor is pending...

Comment

I also have a 3D printer but my problem is I do not seem to have very much free time on hand anymore

One of the modification I am going to do to my 3D printer is to replace the cooling fan for one that has a temperature sensor built on the fan and make the temperature sensor mount on the heat sink so it controls the speed or use a temperature controller out of computer switching power supply

I work the night shift for a seafood processing company and for awhile I was working 6 days a week

Now I work 5 days a week and have a little bit more time but not enough time for projects that are time consuming

But I have heard that we might be going to 4 days a week which is what the job was advanced as and if we do go to 4 days a week then I will have more free time do some time consuming projects again
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-19-2021, 02:59 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Nice thing about robotics including the 3d printer is that it's (well, ideally) fire and forget.

"Ideally" ... hopefully you don't get a pile of spaghetti... (and you don't find watching one mesmerizing...)

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            One of the modification I am going to do to my 3D printer is to replace the cooling fan for one that has a temperature sensor built on the fan and make the temperature sensor mount on the heat sink so it controls the speed or use a temperature controller out of computer switching power supply
            If you are doing this for the hotend so it's quiet, I'd just buy a larger, quiet fan like a noctua. Depending on the printer, you can control them with PWM so they are basically silent. Aside from startup and cooldown though, that fan shouldn't vary a whole lot or you are going to get jams. By the time a sensor picks up an increase in temp, the damage is likely already done.

"Ideally" ... hopefully you don't get a pile of spaghetti...
            For as many pictures of that as I have seen, it has only happened to me once. So long as your stay and watch the first layer go down, you have a very high chance of a successful print.

Comment

I've had capellini (what people normally call spaghetti) and REAL spaghetti. Fortunately "real" spaghetti I can roll back onto the reel and reuse.

The capellini one hopes to minimize. The "real" spaghetti was from when the extruder path broke...

Ugh. The transistortester case on thingiverse sucks. Will have to mod it with a hot knife directly on the plastic instead of printing another one with mods in the source...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                I've had capellini (what people normally call spaghetti) and REAL spaghetti. Fortunately "real" spaghetti I can roll back onto the reel and reuse.

The capellini one hopes to minimize. The "real" spaghetti was from when the extruder path broke...

Ugh. The transistortester case on thingiverse sucks. Will have to mod it with a hot knife directly on the plastic instead of printing another one with mods in the source...
                Which one? And why can't you mod it before printing? Modifying stls isn't great, but it's doable.

Comment

well, mainly because it wasn't expected it was not going to work perfectly, and well, it's a waste of plastic to modify and print another one when there's just one problem...
                  ...not like I'm going to be mass producing these!

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                    If you are doing this for the hotend so it's quiet, I'd just buy a larger, quiet fan like a noctua. Depending on the printer, you can control them with PWM so they are basically silent. Aside from startup and cooldown though, that fan shouldn't vary a whole lot or you are going to get jams. By the time a sensor picks up an increase in temp, the damage is likely already
                    I am talking about the cooling fan in the power supply this little fan is very noisy when it is running as far as I know it only comes on when the heated bed is being powered on
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                      I am talking about the cooling fan in the power supply this little fan is very noisy when it is running as far as I know it only comes on when the heated bed is being powered on
                      If it only comes on sometimes, it already has some type of heat sensor in there. Might be on the fan or on the board. If it's on the board just get a low RPM noctua fan and replace it. Or you could lower the voltage to the fan with a small buck converter.

Comment

chances are it's being cheap and connected in parallel with the heat bed. Though technically it should be "properly designed" to not generate heat, alas, penny pinched is penny earned...

Comment

That requires a level of integration with the power supply that I haven't seen before. What machine is it?

Comment

But the bigger issue is that when the bed heater is ON the temperature sensitive is is the biggest issue in that it causes the power supply to cycle way to often and how I know this it is because it hooked up with a UPS device that has a amp bar graphics that pegs the meter range

The plain is put a PWM controller on it and have it stay on longer yes I know that it might make the temperature sensitive to swing a little bit but if adjusted correctly it will probably be okay
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Depends on how well the heatbed is tuned with its PID controller, then again it could be slow bang-bang and peg the meter once in a while. In any case when it's heating from cold it will be on 100% ...

Heatbeds tend to be well over 100W and use more power than the rest of the printer - hotend and all.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                Depends on how well the heatbed is tuned with its PID controller, then again it could be slow bang-bang and peg the meter once in a while. In any case when it's heating from cold it will be on 100% ...

Heatbeds tend to be well over 100W and use more power than the rest of the printer - hotend and all.
                                When you first turn on the bed heater it fine the problem starts when the bed heater gets to temperature is where the problem begins it might be on for 30 seconds and for 20 seconds and keep repeating

I would refer it be ON for a minute or more and then turn off for awhile and keep doing it this way
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Not clear what the "problem" is... it's expected that the heater will need to turn on and off to maintain temperature. Perhaps it's a perceived problem when the fan is simply connected in parallel with the heater and cools only when the heatbed is on, which sort of makes sense because the transistor dissipates heat only when the bed is actively heating.

Perhaps LPF the fan control signal is "preferred" where the fan stays on regardless if the bed is actively heating or not, despite it being enabled for the print job?

To be honest the heat generated/wasted by the transistor should be... dumped on the heatbed
                                  Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-22-2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Also, consider insulating under the heat bed if it isn't already. You can get the insulation cheap, and would be a direct reduction in hotbed "on" time.

Comment

Just modded this soldering iron tip holder

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1212686/

to add a 3mm per row slope going up towards the back. Pretty pleased with it. If my day doesn't go to hell any worse than it already has, I should be able to clean up the code and upload to thingiverse today or tomorrow. It's configurable for slope and number of holes, etc.

Attached Files
                                      Last edited by clearchris; 07-05-2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Sloped solder tip holder posted with code:
                                        https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4902516

Comment

Working...
                                        X