Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN40A530P1FXZA LCD Solarization fix - help requested

Hi all-

I want to take a crack at fixing the solarization issue with this LCD TV. I think its the T-con board that needs to be replaced based on my views on youtube and this forum but i wanted to double check before I proceed.

The main choice is loose connection, bad main board, and bad T-Con board. I posted a picture showing solarization of the menu options which leads me to believe that the it is the T-con board which is the issue. I tried playing around with the connections and did not help much at all.

So I'm thinking I need to buy a t-con board and replace it. I have no soldering experience so I want to just buy the whole board.

Can someone help double check my thought process and also please help me find a place to buy this board. I've seen options from $25 to $80 so obviously would like to keep the cost low but also do not want to spend more than necessary. I've attached three images, the solarization itself, the pics of the main board and t-con board. I hope they are adequate.

Thanks for taking time to help me with this. I really respect and admire people who do things themselves and this could be a new era and hope to learn from you all in the future. Please forgive me if I did not give the appropriate information. I know how valuable everyone's time is.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung LN40A530P1FXZA LCD Solarization fix - help requested

More than likely the as19-h1g chip on the t-con.

If you're not confident of replacing the chip
    You could phone round a few local computer or TV repair shops and ask if they will solder on a new one. It should be far cheaper than buying a board.

You'd need to check your gamma voltages to be absolutely certain, but I'd say it's very likely to be that chip.

Comment

Thanks so much I'm fine buying a board for up to $50.

Can someone recommend both a supplier also a procedure to make sure I buy the correct board!!
      Last edited by bluesman78; 09-16-2015, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Please provide the gamma voltages for your TV.
        You have 17 test points labeled here:

Don't buy boards unless you are 100% certain it will fix the fault.
        Provide your results and we will be able to tell instantly if it is indeed the t-con at fault.

As for 'where to buy boards'.... Anywhere that offers a full refund should the board be found to be faulty. Shop Jimmy are a big company in the U.S. But still ship out the odd faulty board (as other posters will testify to).

Comment

Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

I assume I need a volt-meter and I'm not even 100% sure how to use one. Let me do some research and see what I am capable. The alternative is throwing out the TV so I guess spending $50 on a chance isn't bad to me.

Comment

Ok well I'm about 85% sure it's your t-con at fault.
            Please, update the thread if you change the board and the problem is resolved.

Comment

If you decided to check the voltages all you will need is a voltmeter that can read DC volts.

Comment

Thanks Hamie I appreciate your help and taking a chance on a newbie

Comment

Originally posted by Hamie View Post
                  If you decided to check the voltages all you will need is a voltmeter that can read DC volts.
                  I used a volt-meter when I was a kid. Where do I put the red and black leads to do the testing. A volt-meter is $5 on ebay I might get one and try it out or might just get the $40 board and if it doesn't work toss the TV. new tv is like $200 so not sure i want to spend that much money on it. Right now is more the challenge of a plug and play solution

Comment

set your meter on 20 volts dc black probe on tv chassis and red probe on each one of the gamma test points write down the readings for us ie number 1 12 volts

Comment

If you do get to check some voltages the black probe will go to chassis ground.
                      (The frame of the TV) or any unpainted screw.

The red probe goes to each any of the 17 test points.

Normally I wouldn't recommend a cheap voltmeter if you were working on a power supply due to the high voltages. But since it's only a t-con there will only be 25 or so volts present at max. Just as long as the meter is reasonably accurate it.

Comment

One more dumb question. I assume the tv is not plugged in when you are checking voltages?

Comment

Plugged in and turned on when checking Voltages
                          Unplugged and let the caps discharged when testing the resistance.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hi all-

I replaced the t-con board with a $50 board from Ebay and TV is BACK IN ACTION! Thank you all for this! Saved me around $300 and maybe I can keep my tv lasting a few more years!

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up. You did put all the thermal transfer pads on the replacement board, right?
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

well i spoke too soon, I thought it was workign but its not. Now the tv has no image at all. Maybe the replacement part was bad.

Comment

did you do what budm asked in post 15 if not the board may of overheated. Did you get a multi meter? also have you still got sound and backlight? is it just the picture gone.

Comment

About the Samsung LN40A530P1FXZA (LN40A530P1F) solarization issue.
                                    The T-con board for this TV apparently has a high failure rate.
                                    I had the same solarizaion problem. I got a T-con board from an eBay seller located in China. $44 with shipping. The board is V400H1-C03.
                                    The new T-con did fix the problem.
                                    However, when the new T-con was installed, the colors were totally crazy. To fix the color assignment problem, you have to go into service mode. With this Samsung model, start with the TV off. On the remote, press Mute > 1 > 8 > 2 > Power On. The TV will start up in service mode. Select "Option Byte". On the Option Btye menu, select "Type". Use the sideways arrows to select "37LC". The colors should now be normal. Cycle power to get back to normal mode.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                    X