Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on Fluke 87-III mainboard repair

Hi there!

I replace caps for a living, but recently decided to try and fix a multimeter I picked up at a yard sale:

Fluke 87-III

It is in surprisingly good shape, needs a new battery door and case perimeter seal, seller told me it was operating intermittently.

so I took it apart and two components are burned which I believe are the following:

U1 - diode, SI, rectifier, bridge (4 pin chip) -burned beyond recognition (on regular 87 - this chip is BV=50V, IO=1A, p/n DF01M - not sure on 87-III)
    CR1 - diode (marked LTp01 S1G) - (1N4007 is used on regular Fluke 87)

and one of the mainboard traces connecting those is lifted off, will need to be replaced with heavy wire I reckon

everything else looks great including beautiful white backlit display

apparently, some Beavis used cheap fuses rather than the correct Fluke/Bussman fast-blow and then tried to measure high voltage with the cables plugged into amps jack

any advice on what components I might want to order at digikey? - or just any general advice?

I fix engine computers (ECU's) so I have pretty good experience and equipment including Hakko FM-202 solder station as well as Hakko 850D hot air rework station.

This meter also needs a good battery door and it especially needs the main rubber seal around the perimeter of the case if anyone has an extra used one. (I have PayPal!)

thanks!

Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-15-2016, 01:57 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

the BIG 4

~~~ the top tier of low-ESR electrolytic capacitors ~~~

Re: Need help on Fluke 87-III mainboard repair

Originally posted by theOracle View Post
    seller told me it was operating intermittently.
    Do basic functions like volts and ohms work fine? Are measurements close to another known good multimeter?

so I took it apart and two components are burned which I believe are the following:

U1 - diode, SI, rectifier, bridge (4 pin chip) -burned beyond recognition (on regular 87 - this chip is BV=50V, IO=1A, p/n DF01M - not sure on 87-III)
    CR1 - diode (marked LTp01 S1G) - (1N4007 is used on regular Fluke 87)
    I don't have a Fluke 87 III (would love to have one again some day), but others do and may be able to contribute some info. I may have some high resolution pictures saved somewhere? I will have to look around.

and one of the mainboard traces connecting those is lifted off, will need to be replaced with heavy wire I reckon
    Let's see a picture of it and where it is on the board.

everything else looks great including beautiful white backlit display
    The latest versions had the white backlight whereas the earlier versions had a green one.

apparently, some Beavis used cheap fuses rather than the correct Fluke/Bussman fast-blow and then tried to measure high voltage with the cables plugged into amps jack
    Yup, they need to be the proper fuses.

any advice on what components I might want to order at digikey? - or just any general advice?
    Once the components are identified, clean the area with a generous amount of IPA and remove any carbon residue as it conducts.

This meter also needs a good battery door and it especially needs the main rubber seal around the perimeter of the case if anyone has an extra used one. (I have PayPal!)
    I see them on sale once a while on ebay. At $30 USD, it is way too expensive for my liking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252355795852
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

here are my candidates: (based on Fluke 87 info, not 87-III)

for the bridge rectifier chip

for the diode

the BIG 4

Comment

On my Fluke 85 III, I have DF06S. 47 cents at digikey.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...SCT-ND/3042771

This is 600V vs 100V used in the original Fluke 87.

For the diode, I have a backwards c ii 214 on the top line and S1B on the bottom line.

I will have to search for this code. I don't know who makes that backwards c ii symbol?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I think if I could just find a service manual for 87-III and a case perimeter seal and a battery door, I would be all set!

the BIG 4

Comment

here are my candidates: (based on Fluke 87 info, not 87-III)

for the diode
            Your choice of S1M is rated at 1000V maximum repetitive reverse voltage. S1B, in my Fluke 85 III, is rated at 100V.
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 10-14-2016, 09:54 PM.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I think if I could just find a service manual for 87-III
              You won't find a service manual with a BOM or schematic for the 87 III.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

According to pictures in this thread.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/...ii-misbehaves/

Picture P1120655 shows a S1G which is 400V maximum repetitive reverse voltage and DF06S as well like my Fluke 85 III. That matches your post #1 part.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by retiredcaps; 10-14-2016, 09:56 PM.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  You won't find a service manual with a BOM or schematic for the 87 III.
                  I don't want to even say what I think of that, given the $$ we engineers and techs have spent on Fluke over the years, but pathetic is not a strong enough word.

the BIG 4

Comment

I don't want to even say what I think of that, given the $$ we engineers and techs have spent on Fluke over the years, but pathetic is not a strong enough word.
                    In today's world, virtually no manufacturer, Fluke, Keysight, Chinese brands, etc gives out schematics or service manuals anymore.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Don't I'm super tired and didn't even notice the S1G in post #1. Doh!
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

what is significance of S1G ?

and are my selections at Digikey ideal?

the BIG 4

Comment

Picture P1120655 shows DF06S.
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 10-14-2016, 10:02 PM.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                            In today's world, virtually no manufacturer, Fluke, Keysight, Chinese brands, etc gives out schematics or service manuals anymore.
                            I have a rule on new equipment procurement:

no schematic, BOM, component locator diagrams, and calibration procedure = NO SALE!

the BIG 4

Comment

what is significance of S1G ?

and are my selections at Digikey ideal?
                              The last letter denotes maximum repetitive reverse voltage. I would stick to the original that is in the meter and avoid any "upgrades".

In post #4, I gave you the link to DF06S. So buy S1G and DF06S from digikey and you should be good.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

thanks for EEVBlog pics - that is exactly the meter I have!
                                Last edited by theOracle; 10-14-2016, 10:19 PM.

the BIG 4

Comment

Once you order the parts and get them installed, please report back to see if current measurement works or not.

I hate it when there is no resolution one way or another (it works or it doesn't work).
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                  X