Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experiences with this ESR meter circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any experiences with this ESR meter circuit?

Originally posted by greekgurl View Post
    Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?
    ESR Micro v4?

--- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yeah! Retiredcaps has it! That's the link to the User's Manual. I've found his product page (russian) URL in my surf history from another computer. http://www.radiodevices.ru/esr/esr4.htm

I have no affiliation with his business, nor have I evaluated one of his units (but want to!). The website is in russian, so translate.google.com first and paste this URL into a russian to english box. He says it will ship anywhere...

Or here is a direct URL through google translation into english
      Last edited by greekgurl; 01-11-2011, 09:58 AM. Reason: Added convenient translated link.

Comment

Originally posted by greekgurl View Post
        I have no affiliation with his business, nor have I evaluated one of his units (but want to!).
        Preher Tech has a small write up, photos, and video of the ESR micro

http://preher-tech.com/esrmicro.aspx
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

But that ESR Micro is not a kit, is it?
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by sam67 View Post
            I have ordered mikes micro ESR v4 meter and the price is very good and value for money.
            How much ?

Comment

I love mine, works very well.
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Hi all,
                Has anyone built the mario001.de ESR meter? I'm quite interested in building it but I'm not so clear about the schematic and the attached file T3000.zip.
                Can some body assist me.
                1. Adjacent to the power source are two parallel circuits. The right circuit +5V is for IC5, connection to pin 1 and 8. The left one V+ is unknown and connected to pin 4 and 11. Any idea which IC is it?
                2. T3000 - is this the source code and for which IC?
                Thanks
                http://www.mario001.de/elektronik/sc.../esrmeter.html

Comment

Originally posted by jeff58 View Post
                  Hi all,
                  Has anyone built the mario001.de ESR meter? I'm quite interested in building it but I'm not so clear about the schematic and the attached file T3000.zip.
                  Can some body assist me.
                  1. Adjacent to the power source are two parallel circuits. The right circuit +5V is for IC5, connection to pin 1 and 8. The left one V+ is unknown and connected to pin 4 and 11. Any idea which IC is it?
                  It is most likely power connection to the op-amp (IC3), probably connects to the 12V rail
                  2. T3000 - is this the source code and for which IC?
                  There is no microprocessor in that schematic, the ICL7107 is a voltage meter IC. That file is the schematic/pcb-layout file from TARGET 3000 PCB-layout program apparently

http://www.mario001.de/elektronik/schaltungen/esrmeter.html

Comment

After looking more carefully at the schematic it looks like this meter is more suitable for measuring general purpose capacitors than low ESR ones, alltought I may have missed something important.
                    Unfortunately the page don't tell anything about the meter's usable measuring range (tought calibrating with 10 ohm resistor hints to gp caps).

Comment

Thanks Frako,
                      Any idea about the Russian version? Looks quite interesting although its SMD based. I would like to give it a try but unfortunately the manual is in Russian. Can't seem to find the translation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the link: -> RLC -> ESR/R/L/C/F meter (by R2-D2)

Comment

Why not use Google Translate etc?
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Its in PDF.
                          Its this file "2484______zip" in "Description"
                          It looks like a manual to setup and calibrate the unit. See if you can translate this Google.
                          http://vrtp.ru/index.php?showtopic=16397&st=220

Comment

This is a better link -> RLC -> ESR/R/L/C/F meter (by R2-D2)

Comment

This is a better link -> RLC -> ESR/R/L/C/F meter (by R2-D2)
                              You do realize that's not a link, right?
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks Frako,
                                Any idea about the Russian version? Looks quite interesting although its SMD based. I would like to give it a try but unfortunately the manual is in Russian. Can't seem to find the translation. Any help is greatly appreciated.
                                If you mean that link from the other thread:
                                http://people.overclockers.ru/TerAbit/record7
                                It looks like a good circuit. That page says it can measure down to few milliohms, what is practically the lower measurement limit without taking into account capacitors capacitance and inductance.

Important things about this circuit are:
                                a) Four wire measurement
                                b) Synchronized rectification

Many ESR meters drive the capacitor with square wave, but there comes
                                the problem that test lead inductance causes about a microsecond wide voltage spike and ringing. Now when simple meters use simple diode rectifier it also adds this spike to the output and that swamps any little voltage generated from low ESR capacitors. Simply adding amplification does not help to measure lower resistances, becouse the spike is amplified too.

Some meters use sinewave but then the test lead inductance adds some voltage drop, I have measured it to correspond about 0.1...0.5 ohms. It is hard to zero out because the inductance varies with test lead position. Also the usual opamp precision rectifier starts to be too slow at 100kHz to work with millivolt accuracies.

This synchronous rectification used here is a clever thing. The circuit drives the capacitor with square wave, waits 3 us for ringing die off and then connects the sampling capacitor for a microsecond. Voltage on the sampling capacitor is then RC-filtered, converted to ground reference and amplified to 1 Volt/ohm output signal. Additional benefit is that the difference amplifier don't need great AC CMMR as it works with only DC voltages

Google translate makes quite good translation out of that page.
                                Last edited by frako; 01-27-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

How are those probes made ?
                                  translation: Fiberglass soldering used on both jaws of each crocodile ??

It's better than the Russian ESR / R / L / C / F Meter (by R2-D2) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                    You do realize that's not a link, right?
                                    Sorry, I know it may not be a perfect link but can be copied a paste.
                                    Timarlop has the link. Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by timarlop View Post
                                      How are those probes made ?
                                      translation: Fiberglass soldering used on both jaws of each crocodile ??
                                      That looks like they are just piece of double-sided pcb soldered in there

There is only some strange .spl7 files on that other link?
                                      how can one open those?
                                      Last edited by frako; 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frako View Post
                                        That looks like they are just piece of double-sided pcb soldered in there

There is only some strange .spl7 files on that other link?
                                        how can one open those?
                                        The free viewer is available here.
                                        http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

Comment

thats for LAY files, to view .spl7 files you need sPlan 7.0 - Viewer
                                          A free demo version of sPlan 7.0 is also available

Comment

Working...
                                          X