macbook pro a2141 can not make recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

macbook pro a2141 can not make recovery

So, i dont know almost anything on macs..but this is my nephews so i had to try. Its 16 inch macbook pro from 2019...It all started when he left something on the keyboard when closing the mac and there it was the crack on screen. At first it was like working but later no. After that he told me that it wouldnt power on?...hear fans but nothing..tried like 100 of stuffs but nothing helped.

So, he bring it to me...first i open it and figured he did also. there was lots of dust i cleaned everything...and started it...the broken screen showed only backlight but nothing on the screen. I check all the voltages and everything seems fine...I only dont have vccgt but i am not sure is that ok for this model?
    I detached lcd connector and used usb-c to hdmi and i get the picture on the external monitor. On the external monitor i saw a question mark and some message to go to the apple store to see how to start it. So i google how to recovery but the ineresting thing is it only gives me internet recovery...So i connected to wifi...downloading was fine...but i believe when it tries to install it with apple logo it starts recovery but only get to 1/3 then stops...nothing. I tried several times but nothing. I used different combination of the keys but allways i only get the option for internet recovery. I did NVRAM reset...but it didnt help. Keyboard, touchpad, speakers, fans and battery working...though i dont have backlight and access to that upper part of the keyboard...i am not sure is it coming on after installing MacOs? I dont have access to utilities on start and so on...Dont get it? someone help?
    My thinking is ....maybe recovery will not finish because ios is not detecting the original screen...I know that similar issues were with iphones...but as i wrote i am not expirienced in macs...So any help how to make a recovery is appreciated. The nephew is considering buying a new screen but i can not confirm that it is the only issue because recovery is not possible...for now. So any help appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by myth77; 06-19-2022, 11:57 AM.

Re: macbook pro a2141 can not make recovery

A question mark means the logic board does not see the SSD. You can check if all the SSD voltages are present or not.

A replacement screen will not stop the logic board from working. There are many on AliExpress.

A suggestion is to debug this unit to perfection using the external monitor. Once it is stable, then buy the replacement screen.

The part of when it installs seems to be the same as the question mark...you have a flaky SSD operation. Start with inspecting the SSD voltages noted in the schematics. Post your measurements.

Comment

Working...
    X