Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pioneer Speaker Package subwoofer transformer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pioneer Speaker Package subwoofer transformer.

There's meant to be a pic in the above post, but it isn't showing for some reason.
    Anyway, hopefully this one works.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 01-01-2018, 09:28 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

Originally posted by cubic25 View Post
      Can anyone suggest a transformer that will power this amp?
      I can't seem to find anything on ebay. I might head into jaycar tomorrow and see what they have....
      Probably a 24-0-24V transformer (i.e. 48V with center tap), as budm suggested here:
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=11
      Though I will note here that it's also worth looking up the part number of IC21 (the amplifier chip) to make sure you don't go over it's maximum rated voltage.

In terms of current, that will depend on the sub's woofer driver impedance. If it's 8 Ohms, you will need a transformer capable of 24V/8 Ohms = 3 Amps RMS. If the speaker impedance is 4 Ohms, then the current will be 6 Amps RMS. And for 2 Ohms, it will be 12 Amps.

To me, that transformer doesn't look that big, so I doubt it's rated for more than 40-60 VA, if even that much. Thus, a replacement transformer capable of 3 Amps of current and/or 70 VA should be enough, probably.
      Last edited by momaka; 01-05-2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Something like this may work. Dual primary (117/234V), 48V @ 4A output, center-tapped (so it's 24V-0-24V).
        https://www.mouser.com/productdetail...QoM4NQfOLcs%3D

But, it's almost $100 and weighs 8 pounds. (Shipping would be expensive.)

-Ben
        Last edited by ben7; 01-05-2018, 08:15 PM.
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

^ Forget about Mouser and Digikey when it comes to parts like that - they would be way too expensive. You're better off looking for a junk transformer on eBay with the same voltages.

If nothing is readily available, then you can get two used 20V, 90W laptop adapters and wire them in series (just need to unground one of them). This will give you about 40V instead of 48V. This will limit the speaker's output power slightly, but it's also the easiest and most readily-available option probably (due to no shortage of used laptop adapters online).

Comment

I have this same active pioneer sub (on vsx-s300 receiver)..
            It also died. Transformer tests fine (continuity on both sides anyway).

As Madan guessed back on page 1, it did kinda chew power.
            (despite 'power saving' auto-switching on/off when signal was detected)

When switching on/off it was really obvious/abrupt 'crossover'.. and I could hear the relay clicking (or whatever it was.. I'm very new to electronics). I use it at a computer desk.. maybe it's more suitable when sitting back on a lounge chair.

My solution was to gut out all the electronics. Now I have it working passively.. connected directly to the subwoofer speaker terminals on my receiver.

The receiver doesn't seem to draw any more power doing this.

The sound quality is %100 fine for my setup.. perfect really.
            But let me know if my solution is some sort of fire hazard... pleeease

Comment

btw.. I have the transformer sitting in front of me. could post it within australia, $20 would cover postage/satchel/iceblock for my walk home.

Comment

i can post photos but basically it's as per original photo.. SF - 76E / 232128e Thermal fuse 115) can't see any issues/burns.. continuity on each side.

Comment

Originally posted by stitchy View Post
                  My solution was to gut out all the electronics. Now I have it working passively.. connected directly to the subwoofer speaker terminals on my receiver.

The receiver doesn't seem to draw any more power doing this.

The sound quality is %100 fine for my setup.. perfect really.
                  But let me know if my solution is some sort of fire hazard... pleeease
                  That is an absolutely fine solution. In fact, a good quality receiver may have better sound quality and offer more features (in terms of adjusting the tones and whatnot) than the built-in amps of these subwoofers.

And not, it's not a fire hazard. If I had a good receiver with amplified subwoofer outputs, I'd do the same.

On that note, if you don't have a receiver with subwoofer outputs but do have an amplifier that is bridge-able, you could always tie the subwoofer to the bridged output, turn down the high tone control and max out the low tone control... and you got a subwoofer amp of sorts.

Comment

thanks for the advice momaka.. it's good so far.. perfect for pc use, makes a good foot stool as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X