• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m$ recommend you switch to LibreOffice

indirectly

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ernatives.html

Re: m$ recommend you switch to LibreOffice

Why am I not a bit surprised!! Long live Libre!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

It's not 'woke' or whatever. It does block curse words with asterisks but does not try to change 'offensive' words
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        It's not 'woke' or whatever. It does block curse words with asterisks but does not try to change 'offensive' words
        Likewise, it can be turned off in the settings.

I remember being taught about avoiding such wording in professional writing as early as 4th grade, specifically in the Write Source 2000 /Writers Inc. english reference books I used in school... and those books date back to 1999 when the version I had back then was written (it referenced MIR as a current space station, if you want to know how old it was!)... nothing new. They had a whole section devoted to inclusive language, complete with a thesaurus for converting word choices (which also included "grammatical" things, such as listing both first names when referring to a Mr. and Mrs. married couple).

Granted, I was educated in a college town (county school system, though)... but a lot of what people seem to think is "new and woke" isn't.. just things that were often overlooked or ignored suddenly coming into view. It's not like yesterday was an episode of Leave it to Beaver or something!
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by George Carlin
          Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

That being said I don't take that much issue with the MS "feature" as long as it only highlights and doesn't change things on its own and is able to be turned off since it could be useful in a "professional environment" where such terms could cause issues today. Though I view the whole "Political Correctness" push in general as a disease that is destroying society, I can't fault MS too much for simply providing a tool (now if future revisions cause it to make change on its own, be unable to be disabled, or exceptionally obnoxious I would change that view).

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
            It has always done that since back in the 90's. They expanded it a little...

Granted, it doesn't change anything without user interaction....and it can be turned off or disabled.....but it's just the idea IMHO.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

actually the 'woke' or whatever shit isn't turned on by default
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I like Kingsoft Office. A Chinese MS Office knock off.

Comment

Office 2003 for me here - the last good version before the ribbons BS.

I know some people love the ribbons... and indeed it can be a time saver, since you can have pretty much all of the menu functions brought out as tiny icons, which can speed things up if you're a mouse-happy user (I'm not... though I don't really like command-line-everything like Linux users do either.)

The big problem I find with the ribbons layout is that they will move around depending on the screen resolution or program window size... and that then makes me "hunt" for things that aren't where I expect them to be. It gets even worse if one doesn't use certain features too frequently. In my case, I used to use Excel A LOT for college physics (labs) classes. So at some point, I knew what most of the icons in the ribbons were for. Then yesterday, a friend of mine asked me if I could take a quick look at their kid's science project, since he was doing something with electronics and just wanted me to verify some things. Well, that was all good until I was trying to do something on Excel on his computer. I was literally staring at the screen for minutes trying to find where everything is. With the old menus with text labels (like Office 2003 and older), this is never an issue, because even if I forget where something is, I can quickly go through the menu items and READ what I am looking for.

So for this reason, I absolutely refuse to go onto the new versions of Office.
                  As for dealing with new office formats, I have the file format add-on converter for Office 2003. It's not an idea solution... but it works in most cases. I'll take that over switching over. Oh, and who likes to pay for Office subscription anyways. With LibreOffice and Google Docs, I'm surprised why so many people are still sticking to the M$ modern crap.

Comment

Working...
                  X