Delta DPS-200PB-185A Schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delta DPS-200PB-185A Schematic

This power supply is dead is there any common failures on these power supplies that would help me get started. Without a schematic I am really fumbling around.
    I do know that it is supposed to have two outputs and I don't have either. The power supply doesn't have that "expensive electrical" smell and I am not able to see anything obvious that is wrong. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thankyou
    Bruce

Re: Delta DPS-200PB-185A Schematic

Please post some pictures of this board that you are working on
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I am having a problem with a similar power supply. You asked for some pictures and I have some. I have three of these on my workbench right now. None of them appear to have bad caps but the outputs are low or missing altogether.
      Attached Files

Comment

First of all are the low value capacitors below 100uf name brand capacitors if not replace them first then see if any of them work after that

I would highly recommend that you put an incandescent light in place of the fuse when checking this one if the fuse is blown

From what you said about one of them that dead what is the voltage across the main filtering capacitor be careful when checking the voltage because this will be high voltage also check the fuse if you have no voltage across the main filtering capacitor

If you only have 160 some volt then look for the switching power supply regulator ic chip and post the part number for it
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-01-2021, 09:00 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

The fuses are good. I have 163vdc out of the first part of the P.S. across the CAP. C801. the power res. R355 & R505 (.56 Ohm.) do not look real good, they have some marks in the coating on them. The 12 VDC outputs measure 11.5v on one and 10.5v on the other. The 52vdc (POE Power) is dead. I can see volt. on the primary of the trans. It measures the same on all thermals like there is an open in the ckt. No volt on the secondary. The files show how far I have got with trying to figure out the schematic. The board is very tight to see everything. Thanks for any help. LYLE
          Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a ring transformer tester it might be time to use it on this transformer but before this can you replace change the optic sensor ( to a known working one ) for the 52 volt side of the power supply and see if dose something different than what it is doing now
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-02-2021, 03:46 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

That PSU is about 3 1/2 years old, so I doubt it has worn out low value electrolytics. It's a fairly modern model (the 52V output is the clue), so I doubt you'd get a schematic from Delta.

The layout puzzles me, but it looks like it has active PFC. If so, the 163V at C801 means the PFC circuit is not working, and the outputs are being kept disabled. It looks like it might have two inverters, one for each output.

The one whose transformer is next to the daughter card looks to be a flyback design, in which the "transformer" is actually a coupled inductor (hence, no separate output inductor). If I'm correct that probably is for the 5V output.

The other inverter seems to use the transformer near C801, with an output inductor near the corner of the PWA. If I'm correct this probably is for the 52V output, and is probably a forward converter.
              Last edited by PeteS in CA; 03-02-2021, 04:22 PM.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

This is supposed to be a replacement P.S. from Amazon. I took a peek inside and everything is different. It looks to be lighter weight. The 12vdc output plug is different and the output power ratings are much less. The case looks exactly the same. As for your last comments: It has been awhile since the Navy Schools - please enplane what PFC, PWA, Optic sensor & ring xfmr. are referring to. They have added a lot of new terminology and types of parts in the last years. Thanks for any help. LYLE
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is the description of a ring tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFyRO42JMbE

I hope this helps you

PFC

http://power-topics.blogspot.com/200...i-need-it.html

When I Googled PWA

I came up with a medical type of switching power supply am I correct about this
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-02-2021, 06:53 PM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

These P.S.'s are out of an Interlogix Tru Vision NVR. I just received a new Hikvision NVR by UPS and the P.S. is identical. I opened it up to put the old Hard Drive in and checked the voltage across C801 an it reads 400vdc. They call it an LTS Switching P.S. The voltages out of the new one are 12vdc and 52.6vdc. Thats all the new info I have. LYLE

Comment

I was looking at your Scan0167, and I see you have the T351 transformer coil across the Drain and source of Q351, are you sure this is correct or could Q351 be shorted D~S? If the fet is shorted, that would be why there is no +52v
                      The other transformer T??? (connected to R505) can't be drawn correctly either, If you are just using a meter to check the resistance I suspect there are shorted components in that area.
                      Last edited by R_J; 03-02-2021, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY ET1 View Post
                        This is supposed to be a replacement P.S. from Amazon. ... The 12vdc output plug is different and the output power ratings are much less. The case looks exactly the same. As for your last comments: It has been awhile since the Navy Schools - please enplane what PFC, PWA, ... are referring to. They have added a lot of new terminology and types of parts in the last years. Thanks for any help. LYLE
                        The rated 52V current is 1/4 the rated current of the Delta Products power supply. It's not equivalent.

Sorry for my carelessness. "PFC" = Power Factor Correction. "PWA" = Printed Wiring Assembly, i.e. the fully assembled circuit board as opposed to the bare printed circuit board (= PCB).

If I understand this correctly:

I just received a new Hikvision NVR by UPS and the P.S. is identical. I opened it up to put the old Hard Drive in and checked the voltage across C801 an it reads 400vdc.
                        It means that the PFC circuit in the one with 163V across C801 is not working.
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Looking at the picture, it looks like there is a bridge rectifier after the line filter circuit (BTW, all those parts with CY# reference designators are Y capacitors, safety agency approved for use from primary to chassis). If the PFC circuit is not operating that bridge rectifier is the source of the 163V (with 120VAC input voltage). The PFC circuit boosts the voltage across C801 to ~400V.

You mentioned R355 and R505 being .56 ohm resistors. Is that from the markings or from measuring the parts? If from markings, measure them. Some resistors are fusible, meaning that they open when subjected to excessive current.

If one or both are open, they will need to be replaced, but fuses seldom open without cause. R355 and/or R505 may be current sense resistors in the source circuit of a MOSFET. If one or both are open, check whether the relevant MOSFET(s) may be shorted.
                          PeteS in CA

Comment

The (2) .56Ohm 2W Resistors are open and the Q351 is shorted. I sacrificed one P.S. and tore it apart to get more info. The .56Ohm. resistors are labeled with the value on them. I have updated the parts list and the front and back photos of the circuit board. I hope this helps others with similar problems on these P.S. I haven't tried to draw out the schematic but maybe someone else has. THANKS, LYLE
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys, Noob here, I too am in the process of trying to repair one of these PSUs without a circuit diagram. Curiously it appears to be trying to start and had about 11.5 v on the 12v output but that dropped off as soon as any load was applied. I think I have identified most of the damaged components, the STW9NK90Z (Q851) was shorted all round, R355 (0.56 ohm) was open circuit, there is also a '10X' (10 Ohm) 0603 size resistor in Q851's drive circuit that is open. On the sub PCB I suspect the CM6800 is dead/damaged, one of the diodes showed short until the IC was removed then tested ok. The one item I am struggling to identify is the code on the 0603 size resistor connected to pin 9 of the CM6800, it looks to be something like 10A or 18A but it has a hole in it (and is O/C) which makes it hard to confirm. Are any of you guys able to have a look at at yours to let me know what that resistor code is? I'll keep you updated on how I get on, but it may be a little while as my replacement CM6800 are on a slow boat from China as I couldn't find any with the usual UK suppliers.

Comment

Me again, just a quick update to let you know that it is fixed and on test at the moment. The original symptoms was no 52V output and the 12v one was at 11.5 but dropped off as soon as any load was applied. To repair it I had to replace Q851 (also the flexible insulator to be on the safe side), R335 (0.56 ohm), a '10X' (10 ohm SMD resistor) in Q851 drive circuit, the CM6800 control chip and the SMD resistor connected to pin 9 (it was a '18A' (150 ohm)). Checked everything else I could with meter and Huntron tracker and nothing else obviously damaged. Used an isolated variable power supply to start it while monotoring the CM6800 VCC supply (pin 13). At about 88vac input the power supply started up and worked fine all the way up to 240vac input. The VCC supply slowly rose as the input was increased, it got to about 5vdc with 88vac input then when the power supply started it jumped to 15vdc and remained steady at all input voltages. Hope that helps someone in the future - cheers.

Comment

I have also DPS-200PB-185A.
                                  The only parts I don't know what they are are the smd resistors conected to Q501 and Q351. If you can magnify the first picture maybe I'll see the values.
                                  01X ?
                                  30C ?
                                  05?X?
                                  69Y ?
                                  The one is connected to the pin 3 of T351 is no more there so I have no information about it.
                                  Many thanks!

Comment

The resistor values are according to EIA-96 code
                                    01x = 10Ω
                                    30C =20kΩ
                                    05x = 11Ω
                                    69y = 5.11Ω

Comment

Keep in mind that resistors usually don't fry or open up without a cause. A burnt resistor means too much current was passed through it, possibly by some shorted device.
                                      PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by radu-dorini View Post
                                        I have also DPS-200PB-185A.
                                        The only parts I don't know what they are are the smd resistors conected to Q501 and Q351. If you can magnify the first picture maybe I'll see the values.
                                        01X ?
                                        30C ?
                                        05?X?
                                        69Y ?
                                        The one is connected to the pin 3 of T351 is no more there so I have no information about it.
                                        Many thanks!
                                        I should be looking at another one in a few days time (once it gets here), will have a look and let you know what is connected to T351/3

Comment

Working...
                                        X