Faulty Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Faulty Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT

Excellent. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

I have installed the new IC and on the bench, the PSU turns on but when installed in the 'old' PC with the GA-K8NF9 it will not power on unless I manually short pin 16 to ground...

The weird thing is that the PSU works just fine in my new rig with the GA-EP35DS3R powers on/off as expeced. Even weirder is that the other PSU works just fine in both the 'old' and 'new' PC's...
      E8400 8G Kingston PC6400 RAM
      GA-EP35-DS3R mobo
      HD4850 512M GA, 2x 1T WD SATA drives
      CoolerMaster case/Seasonic 850w PSU

Comment

It could be that something on the old mobo shorted out the power good generator IC itself rendering the PSU useless?

This is indeed a wierd problem.
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 07-24-2008, 09:41 PM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
          It could be that something on the old mobo shorted out the power good generator IC itself rendering the PSU useless?

This is indeed a wierd problem.
          If the old board caused the PSU to fritz then why did it always work with another PSU? I will have to put a meter on the PGO and PS_ON lines on both PSU in eash case I think....
          GA-EP35-DS3R mobo

Comment

Ok I have measured the voltages on both systems in OFF state

EP35 with Enermax (repaired PSU) PS_ON = 3.6VDC, 5VSB = 4.65VDC,

Press power ON button, PS_ON 0.06VDC, 5VSB = 4.65VDC, PGO = 2.65VDC

K8NF-9 (original MoBo) with Coolermaster PSU PS_ON = 5VDC, 5VSB = 5.05VDC,

Press power ON button, PS_ON 0.06VDC, 5VSB = 5.05VDC, PGO = 5.05VDC

With the Enermax on the K8NF-9, PS_ON was 5.0VDC and stayed at 5.0VDC when I pressed the power ON button...

I tested the switch and it was OK, checked the switch pins, one goes to ground the other measures about 12K WRT ground. Pin 16 of the ATX connector measures 6K WRT ground. There must be a latch on the MoBo to change the momentary ON switch signal into a HARD OVDC to enable the PSU...

I'm confused and curious but at the end of the day both systems work so I'm happy.

Any ideas or theories are welcome...
            GA-EP35-DS3R mobo

Comment

I've forgotten where I saw it but one of the review sites pulled apart an Enermax Liberty to find the failure. Turns out they were sloppy with the glue used to hold things in until it's soldered. It sometimes has 'stringers' that run between the leads on various MOSFET and Diode packs. - When the particular glue they used gets hard from heat it becomes conductive and shorts the leads together.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                I've forgotten where I saw it but one of the review sites pulled apart an Enermax Liberty to find the failure. Turns out they were sloppy with the glue used to hold things in until it's soldered. It sometimes has 'stringers' that run between the leads on various MOSFET and Diode packs. - When the particular glue they used gets hard from heat it becomes conductive and shorts the leads together.
                i reported this here
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5466
                just had a neighbor who bought off ebay show me a new in box liberty.
                we opened it up and picked the glue off the board and mosfet legs before we even powered it up.
                the glue was starting to break down as it left an oily substance on the board.
                i tacked the ferrites to the mosfet leads with blue rtv.

Comment

Yup, that was where I saw it.
                  I couldn't remember for sure.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

So if it is the glue causing the problem then is the power supply a good design overall? Maybe even reliable?

Comment

kc8adu best answer that one.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

wrong thread but THANKS KC8
                        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
                        X