Nova capacitors???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nova capacitors???

I want to do a recap, already have some left over 1000uf samxons here, but need some 1500's as well - jaycar (where I got the samxons from a previous job) don't do any 1500's at all.

I've found these instead:

http://www.sicom.co.nz/xurl/PageID/2...5-deg-xpb.html

I know the picture is not correct but searching XPB on google I believe that these caps are definitely Nova, but I cannot seem to find any info on them
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Nova capacitors???

If you are in Australia I can post you 1500u 6.3V Samxon GC caps. How many do you want? 0.85c each.
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
    Samsung 18x DVD writer
    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
    33 way card reader
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

I'm in New Zealand, so I guess it wouldn't be that viable an option...

Sicom seemed the best place, but without much info on their stock I'm not sure..

I could go with RS or Farnell but it'd be fun trying to find what I want as they have so much
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24
        I could go with RS or Farnell but it'd be fun trying to find what I want as they have so much
        Use their website. Farnells website makes it easy to find what you need. RS Components' website is not as good, however you will still find what you are after. If you are planning to buy from them in person. Go to the trade centre armed with the product codes and you should be fine.

Comment

Farnell has lots of stuff, but when it comes to caps for mobos, all they have is:
          Panasonic FM/FC
          Rubycon ZL/ZLG/ZLH
          and OSCON.

and they're a bit pricey.
          "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

The Nova caps from Sicom would be the easiest to get, I just want to know if they're any good - or is everyone here like me and has never even heard of them?

similar price point to the samxons from jaycar, if that means anything...
            -David VanHorn

Comment

I ve haven't heard of them, but no expert here...

quick search didn't turn up much useful info, found the site below but no listing I can find of electrolytic cap

http://www.novacap.com/

If your recapping a VRM on a motherboard Id find a pdf on them at lest
              VRM requires Low ESR Quality caps if you really want it to last

Jaycar I suspect would be suppling a more GP variety of Samxon...
              I could be wrong on that (so make sure of the series you are using)

far better me thinks to use Panasonic FM from RS comp or Farnell's
              (possibly a bit easier to source then other caps)

or get correct series of SAMXON from either davmax
              (who's been kind enough to offer althought your in the NZ so maybe that changes the situation)
              or Big pope

usually bottom line ....you want quality, you pay for it.

SAMXON are looking to be a good cheaper alternative thought and if your looking to save a few pennies they would be it.

me personally wouldn't skimp on VRM caps....its a brutal circuit for capacitors.
              Samxon (right series) seem to be stacking up well in this department.

ok really just my 2c worth on it.

Welcome and Cheers
              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

only thing close i remember seeing is nover.
                the cnc guys around here keep my trashcan full of them from newall dro's
                post what you are repairing so we can better steer you to the right parts.

Comment

I'm in New Zealand, so I guess it wouldn't be that viable an option...

Sicom seemed the best place, but without much info on their stock I'm not sure..

let me know what you need. I can provide you with samxon or rubycon, your choice.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Well, the Samxons I have appear to be GF series (GF is written on them) and the PDF is here:

As for the nova caps I managed to find this here, http://www.nova-elektronik.de/englis...ors/radial.php which looks like it's probably the one, but as Sicom don't tell what series they sell, and XPB (if that is even supposed to be the series) don't appear on that site, I have no idea what they are.
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                      only thing close i remember seeing is nover.
                      the cnc guys around here keep my trashcan full of them from newall dro's
                      post what you are repairing so we can better steer you to the right parts.
                      I wanted to do a couple of Soltek boards as in this post: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5087

Currently, they both power up but neither POST, whether that is a config error on my part or the caps are that bad, I do not know. I just don't want to waste good caps on a possibly nuked board.

All parts I used to test were known working, obviously
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Just to add, as I was saying in the other post, is it likely or known that soltek boards (or these boards specifically) would not POST with bad caps?
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

well that sheds a different light on it, so you just want to use a workable cheapie to test with.
                          Don't know on the MB, regular recappers techs would be best to post on that one.
                          if the symptoms are likely to be badcaps with that MB
                          (I think some MB's do behave that way with BC)

I did find a mention of that company in a pdf but no links or anything I should have posted it.

GF from the sheet seem to fit the bill
                          but The others above know more on that them me

I suppose it depends on how good you are are getting caps out and in, to use some for testing.

Samxon seem to be a good each way bet not overly expensive and if it works you can leave them.

Knowing the series (or what the use is) with the nova would be important for this application
                          1 Trick used by manufactures that use lower grade (read as crap) is to use 10 Volt caps these have lower ESR then 6V3 counterpart (so the story goes).

General purpose caps will probably get a VRM circuit firing but they just aren't speced for the treatment A VRM circuit will dish out and will soon fail.

for testing you may get away with using 1000uf all round.
                          (Caps have a 20% nominal spec on uf)
                          but better same with same or possibly go up one step in value.

To me Samxon (of right series and values) would be the way to go
                          that way if it works, no worries and you can leave it
                          if it don't you haven't spent too much.
                          (Id do 1 first)

Hopefully someone will know how good you chances are that that particular symptom is related to caps with that specific MB.

I guess all you can do is email or ring that mob to find out what that cap series is they supply.

Low ESR high ripple is what you need.

HTH helps

Cheers

Oh yeah I know this was a different question but it might be an idea to link the two threads if its in relation...just helps in not spinning our wheels I suppose.
                          You tend to find these forums have a more free flow to them then the big ones and will tend to drift off topic to to some related aspect...then they drift back on topic
                          it really the nature of conversation here.
                          (I like it that way myself)
                          Last edited by starfury1; 03-13-2008, 05:57 PM.
                          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Where is the 'Clear CMOS' jumper?
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                              Where is the 'Clear CMOS' jumper?
                              On the 65KV2-T it's between the battery (which I've replaced) and the front panel connectors. It's currently set to normal, but I have tried clearing also, didn't seem to help.

I'm tempted to pull the BIOS chip and reflash it - fixed an apparently dead chaintech board this way
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

BIOS chip is a possibility I suppose too,
                                (thought you might have been down that road from the post..Sorry wrong thread on bios)

dont know with that MB but id at lest re-seat it, sockets have been known to cause problems.
                                (not saying it will work or really holding much hope, but would clean the contacts points up a bit I think)

side point
                                seems like you got some level of skill in electronics & computers ..it helps knowing where someone skills sets are at
                                You get from pro's to noobs posting here, so I try and dumb stuff down a bit
                                (then hope it make sense, more so for the non technical that read here)

Cheers

Comment

Currently, they both power up but neither POST
                                  do they crash out while trying to post or are they totally dead in the water?

not that I have any great ideas on what it might be but it might help narrow the field.

is it possible they were the results of a bad flash job...?
                                  like someone trying to repair them from freezing restating and flashed but it bombed
                                  so you might have a compounded fault

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by starfury1
                                    BIOS chip is a possibility I suppose too,
                                    (thought you might have been down that road from the post..Sorry wrong thread on bios)

dont know with that MB but id at lest re-seat it, sockets have been known to cause problems.
                                    (not saying it will work or really holding much hope, but would clean the contacts points up a bit I think)

side point
                                    seems like you got some level of skill in electronics & computers ..it helps knowing where someone skills sets are at
                                    You get from pro's to noobs posting here, so I try and dumb stuff down a bit
                                    (then hope it make sense, more so for the non technical that read here)

Cheers
                                    Well I'm no newbie when it comes to computers, and pretty good with electronics too. I build and upgrade all my PCs myself, I would say skilled enthusiast rather than professional though

Done a lot of soldering on standard single-layer PCBs, and a bit of SMD. The thru-holes for the mobos are interesting, but following the instructions on this website so you know what to do and using the right tools it's not hard.

Originally posted by starfury1
                                    do they crash out while trying to post or are they totally dead in the water?

not that I have any great ideas on what it might be but it might help narrow the field.

is it possible they were the results of a bad flash job...?
                                    like someone trying to repair them from freezing restating and flashed but it bombed
                                    so you might have a compounded fault

cheers
                                    CPU fan comes on and keyboard lights flash momentarily at power on, but no beeps, and nothing on the screen.

Multiplier and FSB switch set correctly, tried AGP and PCI video cards, no go on either.

Funny thing you should say that about bad flashing though, there was also an Abit BX6 in the box, dead except for bootblock (recovered that fine with uniflash) don't know the story behind it though

After much fun of hunting down a BIOS file, I reprogrammed the chip from the SL-65KV2-T, it wrote and verified fine so the chip doesn't seem to be faulty, and now I know it has a good BIOS on it so I guess it rules that out as a possible fault.

Unfortunately the board still doesn't work so I'm back to the capacitors again...
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

I know the picture is not correct but searching XPB on google I believe that these caps are definitely Nova.
                                      I've never seen a Nova capacitor blow before but if they're anything like my old Chevy Nova they'll light up the night sky .

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I have never heard of this brand either.
                                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 03-13-2008, 09:32 PM.
                                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                                        I've never seen a Nova capacitor blow before but if they're anything like my old Chevy Nova they'll light up the night sky .

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I have never heard of this brand either.

Looking at www.nova-elektronik.de again, it seems they are just distributors. of teapo.
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X