Monitor worth saving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor worth saving?

I have a 19" Samsung monitor that I "inherited" from my dad.

He gave it to me because the monitor would turn on for about 1 sec. and then turn off again. It would continually cycle like that, and my guess was that one or more capacitors in the power supply had gone bad (from my beginner's knowledge on the subject).

Well today I finally got around to attempting to open it up & all that good jazz.

I found 3 capacitors with bulging tops (which I'm told means they're bad). I've desoldered and removed them. I have 2 x 820mF 25v caps, and 1 x 470mF 25v cap that are the ones I'm fairly certain are blown.

Here's a shot of the board, minus the 3 caps:

My question is this: noting the somewhat "burnt" quality of the board, is it worth replacing the caps, or is it likely they (or other components) will blow as well?

Thanks for any help! (also, would it be more worth it to pick up some caps online, or just swing by my local Radio Shack ?)

Re: Monitor worth saving?

"burning" looks normal
    definitely worth saving
    caps may be not the only problem in lcds
    need low esr caps, not available at radio shack
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

What other things should I look for?

Is there any particularly good source for low esr caps?

Thanks!

Comment

Fix it with new caps!

Samsung monitors are pretty good for what they are.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Generally speaking
          For the price of some decent caps its worth fixing.
          mostly caps are the issue, although inverter transformers have been known to pack it in. (also other faults have been known depending on brand model)

Be careful as that has High Voltage on that PCB and also directly connects to your Mains supply system

Make sure you put the caps in the right way round too.

As willa said looks like (unfortunately) fairly normal cooking of PCB.

there can be other issues of course but "caps only" are a good bet so go for it.

Cheers
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
          X