Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus X50gl keeps crashing with ACPI THERMAL ZONE event

*long story* !

Good day folks. Today I'd like to open up a topic which I only mentioned a couple of times in some other threads but never actually got into as deep as I would've liked, so hopefully some of our wonderful members here who may be more familiar with laptops than I am can provide some tips. Please bare with me, as there's a lot to cover...

So: my old Asus laptop which I've used for the past 10 years and I dearly love started acting up some time ago...sounds boring, but it's actually more complicated than you might think. A while back, it would randomly shut down whenever I was watching something on Youtube in Firefox - yes, it's pretty specific, which further adds to the issue..aand it did it again....and again...and again...I thought for sure it's a heat issue (which it might be), so I checked and triple checked my heatsink, paste, fan all that jazz, even went out of the way to order a second fan and heatsink, thinking perhaps the heatpipe lost some of its properties and no longer dissipates properly...never solved the issue. It delayed the crashes slightly but it would still do it nonetheless.

I then began monitoring my temps more closely, so I grabbed HWMonitor and ran some Prime95...nothing too out of the ordinary to report here: around 40C on the CPU and 57C on the GPU when idle at an ambient temperature of 27C and 70C on both at full load for 5 minutes. It's worth noting that it never once crashed when I stress tested it - THAT's the main issue here: you'd think it's a heat issue, but I'm skeptical about that, as it only seems to happen with Firefox and Youtube, never under clearly heavier loads - not even a different online video platform, say Dailymotion, causes the issue...it's ALWAYS YT. To confirm, I started using Opera for the past weeks or so and it solved the problem - no crashes at all. I thought for sure it's some sort of bug and I'd have to live with Opera, which is not terrible, but it all turned to sh!t today when it crashed once again and inspired me to write about it. It was on YT too, of course >_> The log indeed returns an "ACPI Thermal Zone has been enumerated" event every time this happens (don't have one on hand right now since I cleared it), but it always reports some trip point of 90+C (converted from K) which is clearly impossible for it to reach even at full load...don't know where these numbers come from.

RAM ? Tested that as well several times with no apparent issues. Of course RAM testing is not exhaustive and it could very well have issues despite managing to work enough that one time to pass MemTest.

Getting down at hardware level, I couldn't find a schematic for the F5GL model, but I did find a boardview (ironic, since it's usually the other way around !). If you open it up in your favourite boardviewer and search for U5000 (a G780P11U) you'll see it's a temp sensor. Unfortunately with no schematics, I have no idea how it's all wired up exactly, although I did use the boardviewer to track down some of its pins in that general area, which ultimately leads to the Nvidia GPU/Northbridge on CPU_THRM_DA/DC pins (SDA/SCL maybe ?). I doubt U500 ITSELF is faulty, since the temperature readouts appear to function. Usually a bad temp sensor swings negative or is stuck...IMO...

So many variables here I'm not even sure where to start: failing BGA on the Nvidia chip ? Software issue (did a clean reinstall on a separate HDD BTW) ? What other tests should I perform to at least pinpoint the cause ? It's mostly about the sentimental value of the device and about learning stuff rather than the material worth of this laptop in its current state, which is close to zilch at this point really....Cheers guys. Any idea or tip is welcome as always
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Asus X50gl keeps crashing with ACPI THERMAL ZONE event

from what i read in the intel datasheets, a thermal trip event can also be triggered if the vrm mosfets get too hot. now why the mosfets would suddenly get too hot when they werent running hot from before is not known and will have to be investigated by you. it could be due to bad caps, bad power supply/brick supplying unstable/noisy power, bad battery etc. among many other things.

Comment

Agreed - it can definitely be caused by a lot of factors...guess a cap replacement on the CPU "rail" (VRM as you call it ?) would be welcome but may not necessarily be THE fix...
      Wattevah...

Comment

Looks like a shutdown because of bad cooling.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Youtube will load both the CPU and the GPU at the same time.
          Also usually if you try to load both the GPU and CPU with a stress test it won't work, the CPU will get 100% usage and the GPU won't have enough CPU time so it won't be loaded enough. You could try stressing only one core of the CPU + the GPU.

GPU seems like it could be from the defective NVidia series so that's not to exclude.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Right, forgot to mention I also tried FurMark to stress-test the GPU and the same thing happened: temps went up and stabilized but never actually crashed. Also, like most laptops, it uses an in-line heatpipe design, so some heat from the CPU will invariably go back to the CPU die and vice versa.
            Wattevah...

Comment

if u have good temps and stable everything, than just cut off that signal

Comment

I too thought of somehow disconnecting u5000, but I'm not sure it can be done just like that. I was hoping there'd be a 0 ohm resistor or some other component which I can remove, but there isn't one - the chip is hard-wired to the ITE (if I remember correctly), so I would have to cut its track and hope it still turns on at all. It might report some bogus temps and cause the system to shut down insantly...
                Wattevah...

Comment

try another power brick... other than that cold joint on some chip... strange things like that always caused by cold joints... either on voltage regulator chips on some of the bga...
                  Im Back... sort of...

Comment

I considered the power brick at one point but quickly dismissed it on grounds that the battery is still functional so it should have switched over (?) and it never crashes when stress-testing, which might've indeed included the possibility of a bad brick.

Bad joints ? Could be after all these years. After all, 11 years is asking a LOT from a laptop...
                    Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                    X