Sharp RG-B960 Vintage Car Radio No Right Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp RG-B960 Vintage Car Radio No Right Channel

My Sharp RG-B960 2x25W Vintage Car Radio seems to have lost it's RH audio channel.

The RCA output for the RH side is also dead, so the main amp isn't to blame? Both the cassette and radio have the issue.

I was running a "non-standard" three speaker setup (one 16 ohm speaker bridged between Front left + and right rear -, with two 4 ohm speakers on the other channels and the channel common). Due the the lack of available literature, I didn't know if this was an issue- it seemed to work fine for a few months. Since the corresponding RCA went too, which I presume is a pre-amp output, such wouldn't be to blame, right?

I tore into it... found a few cold solder joints on one of the knob boards (which I resoldered), but no obvious issues. The RCA cables were soldered to what looked to be a PCB footprint for a second amplifier IC (obviously not populated).

Due to the lack of information (let alone schematics or a service manual), I'm kind of stuck here since I haven't messed with these and I don't know the topology. Is there a common pre-amp (likely a pair of transistors?) that could be suspect?

Sadly shaft-style "digital" radios like this aren't cheap on ebay, and I don't have the heart to redneck it by cutting my truck's bezel for a modern DIN unit (it's a 1984 Ford F150). I do have a similar alpine unit, but it won't power on (pulled from a JY)... perhaps that's a better unit to troubleshoot?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)
Working...
X