The 2020 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2020 Operating System Thread

Once again, it's that time for our annual OS thread..... What's on your mainstream system?
    Windows 10
    0%
    Windows 8/8.1
    0%
    Windows 7
    0%
    Windows Vista or older (to include XP, W2K,or older MS OS)
    0%
    Mac OS/OSX
    0%
    Some flavor of Linux (brag on your distro in a post)
    0%
    PC's are so 2001, I don't use a PC anymore....I'm a phone monkey!
    0%
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: The 2020 Operating System Thread

once again i voted Linux.

Comment

I'm still using Win7 mainstream (my office system)...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Might have been better to wait until after the 14th to ask (?)

W7 for my primary workstations (i.e., anything that has to run COTS applications). NetBSD for my "infrastructure" and software development tools. Slowaris/SPARC to test my code for portability.

In re: the 14th: workstations will remain unchanged as they aren't routed so aren't vulnerable (except to physical assault). If W7 on this (routed) box becomes a risk, I'll run it in a sandbox.

Comment

Home: Most Workstations (and the kitchen AIW) on 10 x64, one on 7 x64 (Xeon Iriwindale, not 10 compatible). Three out-of service workstations on 7 for the same reason. Most laptops on arch x64 and 7 x64 (minus an old PIII Latitude C800 I recently aquired). Server runs Debian x64. Two Atom Bay Trail tablets run modded 8.1 (one x32, one x64).

Work: "new" laptop runs 10 x64. VDI runs 7 x64. "old" laptops ran 7 x64, but turned over when I changed positions right at the end of 2019.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
            I knew this year's poll would be interesting. Last year was still overwhelmingly Win7....seems so many have ditched 7 for the evil known as 10......
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              ^
              I knew this year's poll would be interesting. Last year was still overwhelmingly Win7....seems so many have ditched 7 for the evil known as 10......
              7 Support is dying... for me it was Windows Media Player of all things (being able to pull album data for ripped CDs, specifically). Sure, there are third party apps, but aside from the greater evil known as iTunes, they all suck ass. Not to mention my newer workstations are are 8+ cores/threads, so 10 is better optimized for such configurations.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
                My office machine will be facing this sometime this year most likely. Odds are I won't do 10, I'll do a S2K12 R2 workstation build on it (supported until 2023). I will probably upgrade the machine as well and leave this one completely intact.... I have a nifty westmere 8~12 core system (depending on which CPU's I use in it) that's been mothballed for a couple years that will fill the void nicely....but I won't want to wipe the RAID on my office system....so instead I'll just mothball the system and bring in another one.

Not sure how long I'll run 7 beyond EoL....since support was extended for the Enterprise market beyond 2020, its a matter of time before security updates trickle their way out to non-enterprise users. IMO Browser Support is what truly does an operating system in (in the consumer world anyway)....when mainstream browsers stop supporting Win7, then it's indeed obsolete.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Same as last year, Linux. Except this time, more machines in my fleet are running Ubuntu Server/Xubuntu 18.04 LTS. Only 3 machines left on 16.04. 2 are at the end of the line for Ubuntu Server (18.04 only supports x64, no more x86) and 1 just needs to be brought out and upgraded.
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    for me it was Windows Media Player of all things (being able to pull album data for ripped CDs, specifically). Sure, there are third party apps, but aside from the greater evil known as iTunes, they all suck ass.
                    I use MP3tag to find album art (etc) as I typically have to fix the tags in the files, as well (to ensure some type of consistency between albums/groups/publishers).

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                      I use MP3tag to find album art (etc) as I typically have to fix the tags in the files, as well (to ensure some type of consistency between albums/groups/publishers).
                      Do you remember the days of having to do that manually?
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I converted all my own and my families computers from whatever version that was compatible and eligible before the official free Win10 upgrade date. Being my family main (remote) support person, I can say that support due to problems with Win10 and/or updates has become none-existent. A few user errors happens, but that isn't the OS' fault.

Since my employer, in Norway at least, upgraded to Win10 a year ago I'm happy my informal role as my departments support person has also almost dwindled away.

Being a Windows user since Win 2.x, beyond initial configuration, Win10 has been for me the most hassle-free Windows ever.
                        ------------
                        Be a mensch

Comment

Lotsa Unix and clones this year.
                          Linux on my Pi based NAS
                          AT&T System Five on a very old machine
                          9Front on a PIII machine
                          Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Linux on my Xeon machine.....
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                            ... Ubuntu Server (18.04 only supports x64, no more x86) ...
                            Linux for me on almost every machine, though some laptops may have a pre-owned/legacy Win 7 dual-boot that I didn't wipe off after acquiring them (sometimes just for BIOS updates, if I figure it might be needed later).

I usually do a fresh install of Lubuntu 18.04 Alternate AMD64, which is a relatively lightweight LXDE-based distro. It's also available in an i386 build, though I don't know if the app repos for the i386 builds keep up with the mainstream AMD64 builds - I tried i386 just once on an old Centrino or similar machine. Some of my Core 2 systems have a Fedora 27 or 30 install, which I'm going to nuke eventually in favour of Lubuntu 18.04.

Just minor strikes against Fedora, and I've contributed fixes and code to Fedora long ago, but Lubuntu generally just works. Firefox builds in Lubuntu tend to have plug-ins already pre-built and installed, including video codecs, screenshots and so on - while they generally have to be installed manually in Fedora. Lubuntu (Alternate) is also low-resource friendly, and will run happily in 768 MB, maybe lower, which is the norm for Centrino-era i686 machines. OTOH, Fedora generally requires 2 GB or more these days.

Lubuntu repos are generally very comprehensive and have obscure apps already pre-built and ready for installation - an example for me is Gerbv, which allows me to view Gerber files generated by any PCB layout editor, including legacy ones that are Windows-only. The portable file-exchange format is the Gerber format, which can be viewed on (say) a Linux workstation with an NVidia Quadro, QHD display or higher - these tend to be bulletproof BTX boxes like a Dell Precision T3400 or similar for me.

(I also use Lubuntu for gaming - 0.A.D is about the only game I play. Actually, the Fedora build is more recent, but the Lubuntu version is just fine.)

Word to the wise - if you plan to install a dual-boot Lubuntu and Fedora setup, install Lubuntu first, leaving empty space for Fedora, and then install Fedora. Grub will show both distros fine. If you install Fedora first, then Grub from Lubuntu will not identify the pre-existing Fedora installation, and you'll have to manually add entries for Fedora in the grub config. It also helps to have a FreeDOS install in a small primary partition of say 2 GB, into which some BIOS flashing tools and disk cloning stuff like Clonezilla can be placed - Clonezilla also comes with memtest86+, so you can easily test memory after upgrades or installation.
                            Last edited by linuxguru; 01-02-2020, 09:29 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                              9Front on a PIII machine
                              9Front looks interesting - I might try it on some old Centrino or PIII-class laptop (I don't even have a working PIII laptop any more. Not that it matters, since I can get working Centrino laptops for next to nothing - just snagged a working Compaq Presario V2000 with a non-functional/drive-locked HDD yesterday for ~$14. Very nice, but oddball-resolution display - 1280 x 768. Swapped in a HDD from an old Thinkpad, twiddled with xorg.conf, and everything just works fine, including the battery and the battery-charge applet, Xine for watching DVDs, etc.)

GNU/Hurd is another project on the wish list.

Another thing that I'd like to try is IBM OS/VS1 on an emulated IBM 370 mainframe running on a Hercules emulator, and revive some legacy Fortran/Pascal code that I wrote c.1982/83. It's a longer-term project without much payoff. I'll run the Hercules emulator on an Atom mobo installed in a mini-ITX case painted IBM Blue, just for laughs. Others have run Hercules on Raspberry Pis and IPaq handhelds in the past.

Comment

Still haven't reinstalled in >15 years (except for the new installs), still running (mostly single-boot) Gentoo Linux. Yes memory requirements are exploding, 2GiB for 32-bit, 4GiB for 64-bit -- else no Firefox (well, firefox-bin would still work). Ahh I remember the times when 256MB was fine for Gentoo... and how 2GiB just became fairly unusable for 64-bit self-hosting Gentoo.

Sometimes I wonder, people worry about the "One Standard Linux" and others worry about market fragmentation and the need to install more than one Linux requiring dual booting or VM... Can't have it both ways...

Comment

I'll choose Mac like I did last year.I upgraded my 2012 MBP to Catalina and its ok but I miss the dashboard feature, my 2018 mac mini is still running Mojave and I might keep it on that a bit longer. As for my windows machines, ive gotten alot of 2012/2014 hardware for almost nothing so I did the other black sheep move and thats using Windows 8.1, it will have updates till 2023.
                                  Last edited by BigTroll; 01-02-2020, 10:05 PM.
                                  My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I'm running the same operating systems as last year. My desktop runs Windows 10, and my laptop has Windows 7 and Lubuntu 18.04. I only use Windows on the laptop for a USB video capture device that I should replace (video quality is awful, and the only software I've found that records audio properly is the poorly programmed XP-era junk that came with).

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      Do you remember the days of having to do that manually?
                                      Yeah, it's still not completely automatic for me as many titles are either "a bit wrong" or the person who contributed them had a different sense of how to tag tunes (wrong genre, date, contributing artist, etc.)

And, I have to ensure tags/filenames/folder structures are compatible with a variety of different devices (e.g., some extract titles from the tags, some use file names, some use "track number" tag, others just alpha sort on title, etc. -- still others just display them in the order encountered on the media! )

But, it's still a lot better than having to type everything from scratch!

Comment

Will be upgrading all my systems to Lubuntu 20.04 LTS later in April. Running Lubuntu since XP EOL. I have very simple needs: a browser, password manager, email client, and calendar/todo.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X