Dell P2412h LED monitor shows pink tint in white screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell P2412h LED monitor shows pink tint in white screens

All the whites have a pink tint, tried all the obvious stuff, different cables, different pc's, etc. Took it apart, and the power board has cheap looking caps, but no bulging or any signs of going bad. Signal board has all small caps, all look ok, usually small ones not a problem. Tried deoxing all the connections.

I don't know enough to test, but I can solder great and have repaired a lot of monitors by recapping the power board (mostly) with good Panasonic caps and sometimes the signal board since I had it out.

I can go ahead and recap the power board, but don't want to just waste my time. Does anyone know what causes this Pink tint to all the whites? Because if it's the panel itself this won't help, so I didn't want to spend the time and money to recap the power board and have nothing change. Sure would appreciate any insight. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Dell P2412h LED monitor shows pink tint in white screens

Just ensure any other monitor connected to the same pc works well and this one does the same behaviour connected to different sources.

Comment

Well, yes, if you read my post i already tried all the obvious

Comment

vga, dvi or hdmi?
        did you try all the inputs to see if they do the same thing?

Comment

Have you ran the monitor built-in diagnostics? If not, go to page 48 of the attached manual. You might also see page 35. Select custom color and increase the green and blue.
          Attached Files

Comment

Again, I appreciate it, but I have, repeat, done all the obvious steps! I have been working on computers for almost 40 years. I just need an informed answer.

Comment

you'v been working on computers about 3 years more than me, and dont like answering questions - when you fix it, let us know the cause.

Comment

Last edited by R_J; 01-26-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

maybe obvious but i can recreate this fault by wiggling the input connector on my monitor .can also get just the other colours too .

Comment

Ok, let me restate in more detail for those who assume I am not smart enough; I have done all the obvious things, changed cables, both inputs, tried 3 PC's with multiple cables, ran the diags on it, fooled with the color settings, wiggled the cables as well. I just need someone who has faced this and discovered where the issue is; the power board, the signal board, or the panel itself. Thank you.

Comment

it's the processing board, the display panel or the link cable between them - without another panel to swap over there is no way to tell.
                      not unless you have a lot of patience and a very fast scope! (LVDS signalling is not easy to capture)

btw, if it wasnt led i'd say the backlights are getting too old - ccfl's turn pink.
                      Last edited by stj; 01-26-2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

instead of trying to capture any signals you might be able to inject signals instead .

Comment

with an lcd tester yes - if the cable fits the panel - i have one somewhere.

Comment

So does also the osd menu look reddish?

Comment

Well, I wasn't entirely sure, so I just hooked everything up again. I also have another Dell E series 24" so I put both in diag mode and went through the colors side by side; definitely a pink cast to the white. Comparing the two shows the moving box also pinkish, and there is a cast to the OSD menu too, although not quite as obvious.

So, no one thinks it's the power board, that it's either the signal board or a bad cable. I used Deoxit on all the cable connectors, too. I keep looking for another of the same for cheap to swap boards and test with; even if the panel was all scarred up at least I could see if it shows white ok with my guts. I'm stuck here.

Comment

Oh, and I did try the conditioning for like an hour and a half to no avail

Comment

you tried wiggling the connectors ?

Comment

Yes, of course

Comment

I've seen this before, it is most likely the result of a worn-out LED backlight. Certain white LEDs turn pink with age. I think it has something to do with the phosphor coating on the LEDs wearing off over time. You'd need to replace the entire backlight to fix it, assuming you can find one.

I am actually surprised nobody has suggested this yet, I've seen this issue many times on LED TVs and monitors that are used for digital signage and run 24/7.

Comment

i'v only seen the leds die or start blinking

Comment

Working...
                                        X