TOSHIBA C50-B-14F works but no charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TOSHIBA C50-B-14F works but no charging

Have you changed the high side mosfet on pin #18 yet?

Try it with a fresh mosfet.

Measure again the voltages after replacement on pins #18 and #15 of the charger IC.

You can consider to replace the charger IC but the voltages appear to be ok for each pin.

With the ac adapter connected, the battery connector appears to have enough voltage to charge the battery pack do this would imply the high and low side mosfets are working properly. The low resistance in the mosfet checks is of a concern. Or at least remove the mosfet and check their resistance while they are off the logic board.

Comment

Replace mosfets PQB03, PQB04 - test again.

Replace also PQB07 if the above does not fix the fault.

Comment

The two mofsets on the top and bottom sides have been changed.
        PQB03 mofsets? PQB04? PQB07 are on order I will change them upon receipt.
        thanks again

Comment

Wow. Ok. Order some holy water as well We are missing something obvious here. Still concerned about the battery connector pin that does not appear to change with or without the pack yet, the battery is detected ok. From some internet searches, the battery status pin is supposed to be LOW if the battery is present and HIGH (from the logic board pull-up) when absent.

Comment

Following your last message, I rechecked the voltages at the battery connector and in fact I told you something stupid during my first measurements.
            I was saying that the voltages were the same with or without battery, in fact it was with or without AC.
            Here are the measurements with or without battery:
            Battery connector with battery plugged in:
            1:13.42v
            2:13.42v
            3:3.15v
            4:0v
            5:2v
            6:3.3v
            7:3.3v
            8:0v
            9:0v

Battery connector without battery plugged in:
            1:3v
            2:3v
            3:3.18v
            4:0v
            5:3.35v
            6:3.3v
            7:3.3v
            8:0v
            9:0v
            we can clearly see the voltage pin 5 that changes.

Comment

The voltage of pin # 5 WITH the battery is not low enough to be considered a logic low.

Can you apply a wire onto pin # 5 of the connector and the other side to GROUND ?

Comment

I wore the pin 5 to 0.2v through a resistor of 470 ohm, but still no load.

Comment

Interesting read here:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=BQ24735

The tech suggested a bios reflash.

Can you do this with the adapter powering this board only? Perhaps an excuse to make sure your logic board is on the latest BIOS anyways.

Comment

Hello
                    This afternoon, without real conviction, I even changed the charging chip to the càs or and the surprise it did not change anything, the battery still does not charge.
                    to be continued...

Comment

check the impedance of the 10ohms resistor on pin 20,and why is your battery connector getting 3v on the positive pin when adapter is connected? check the blocking mosfet.

check the continuity line between ACN,ACP and CLR pin same with SRP,SRN and it CLR.
                      The ILM pin is low 0.2v,according to the voltage divider it should be 0.7v,also use your Oscilloscope to chech SDA and SCL line,you should get a 9 duty circle.

Comment

Btw,with battery ACDET and ACOK should be low but high with adapter.

Comment

Hello
                          the PBR26 resistor of 10 ohms is ok.
                          Continuity between ACN(1), ACP(2) and SRP(12),SRN(11) ok.
                          The ILM(10) pin is well at 0.8v.
                          Otherwise I unsoldered PQB07 and but I still have 3v without the battery connected and still no charge.
                          I checked PQB07 unsoldered, the continuity values in ohms between pins are ok and to the transistor tester it seems ok also see photo attached.
                          I rechecked the Windows messages with the new charging chip and for each battery I have a different message regarding the % and the remaining charging time which is quite normal, so the batteries communicate well with the charging chip.
                          With adapter:
                          ACOK: 3.3v
                          ACDET: 2.6v
                          Without adapter:
                          ACOK: 0v
                          ACDET: 0v
                          Attached Files

Comment

Bring in a fresh battery for testing from a different vendor through Amazon. If it behaves the same, you can always return it under 'bought the wrong one' or some other excuse.

Remove all power -> meter in lowest resistance scale.

Measure the resistance from PRB51 left side (1&2 in the schematic) to pin # 13 of the charger IC. What is the resistance ?

Measure the resistance from PRB51 right side (3&4 in the schematic) to pin # 12 of the charger IC. What is the resistance ?

Leave mosfet PB07 off the board -> power up and check the voltage that remains @ BATT+ (battery charge voltage). If you leave this setup on, does the battery charge up ? If the BATT+ voltage is high enough, it should slowly charger up your battery pack.
                            Last edited by mon2; 07-29-2022, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Hello
                              the resistance on the left side of the PRB51 (1 & 2 in the diagram) to pin No. 13 of the IC charger is 10 ohm.
                              the resistance of the right side of the PRB51 (3 and 4 in the diagram) to pin No. 12 of the IC charger is 6.8 ohm.
                              when I disassembled PQB07, I measured 13.42v at BATT+ and when I put the 220v back on, after 2:00, the battery still didn't charge.
                              I just returned the 2nd new battery which displayed 0%. (Green Cell Battery PA5185U-1BRS PA5186U-1BRS PA5184U-1BRS for Toshiba Satellite L50-B C50-B L50-B-177 L50-B-125 L50-B-1MU L50-B-171 L50-B-124 C50-B-124 C50D-B L50-B-1MM (2200mAh 14.4V Black)).

Comment

What is the voltage on pin # 7 of the charger IC with the adapter & battery connected for charging? (IOUT)

Also, remove the battery mosfet @ PQB07 and test again. This battery mosfet will only be used to power the logic board and should not impact the charging feature of the design.
                                Last edited by mon2; 07-30-2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

the voltage pin 7 IOUT is 0.75v.
                                  I just reassembled the card with the original battery (at 4%) and I try again to leave Windows on until tonight 11am. Hoping that the % of battery availability evolves.
                                  Is it a pity the Mofsets PQB03? PQB04? The PQB07s I ordered won't arrive until the end of August, so I couldn't change them before.

Comment

What is the voltage on the battery connector pin # 5 = BATT_PRES ? (without any external jumpers or shorts)

This should be ~0 volts or forced to be 0v with a jumper to ground as you proceed to leave the logic board ON to charge the battery.

See the reference to this exact pin here:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...mmus/battery.c

and attached.

Update - try this test.

Remove all power -> locate pin #10 (ILIM) on the charger IC and specifically locate the ~316k resistor @ PRB21.

Then carefully remove this resistor and in its place, apply a blob of solder. We want to raise pin #10 to ~3 volts.

Then power up and test again and post your results.

With the solder blob @ PRB21 -> what is the voltage of IOUT pin # 7 on the charger IC ?
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by mon2; 07-30-2022, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I wore the 5 to 0.3v pin through a resistor of 1k ohms.
                                      Pc plugged in, I removed the battery, the pc restarted and in BATexpert the information next to the hourglass changed, it now displays 22h43mins instead of D/A, but the consumption of the 19v has not evolved, I think it still does not charge.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Try the ILIM bypass as per above. Will check back later...Costco time now

Comment

thank you for the help, we will relax a little to take a step back during this wekkend.

Comment

Working...
                                          X