No announcement yet.

Not Even BCN's Russia Connections Can Top This One - Supermicro S2DGU Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not Even BCN's Russia Connections Can Top This One - Supermicro S2DGU Build

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    If they have the scroll wheels, I'll totally take those!
    Rodger!

As much as I'm used to having a scroll wheel now, I still don't like how those ball MS mice handle (along with many others.) Seems that only Logitech knew how to build a proper ball mouse that is actually precise - they used encoder wheels and encoders inside with much finer pitch, along with bigger diameter roller to keep better traction on the ball. Despite the finer encoders, they still had the same DPI as other ball mice due to the larger diameter rollers. But they handle a ton better. I still use my M-S34 and M-S69 mice to this day. I like them even better for gaming than modern laser mice, as they stop motion when picked up in the air vs. modern lasers still tracking unless lifted much higher.

Originally posted by lti View Post
    I found my old pictures in that thread. The mess actually got worse.
    Same here.
    I keep adding newer and more stuff to my already cluttered desk/space.
    I guess many of us techs have a hoarder problem at least to some extent.

By the way, the pictures of your desk you found, were those with the wooden speakers and CRT monitor? I always found those wooden speaker boxes you built an awesome idea. Planning to do that myself, actually, with a bunch of saved TV speakers. Might need them in the summer if I go see my nephews again and set up a mini "LAN cafe" again.

It's strange that such a cheap and common mouse (used with every Compaq I saw in the '90s) performs better than some modern mice. The lack of a scroll wheel annoys me, and mine needs new switches.
    Same here. I keep repairing the switches in mine (pop them open with a needle and clean the contacts with IPA, and occasionally something abrasive), but they are so worn out and pitted that they get corrosion/bad contacts within a month or two, if even that.

The lack of scroll wheel is only a somewhat minor inconvenience for me... until I encounter some "infinite scrollbar" websites, which are the norm these days. I still love the tracking, though. Have had people even accuse me of hacking in shooter games a few times.
    Last edited by momaka; 01-20-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Have had people even accuse me of hacking in shooter games a few times.
      lol its that good huh? well, me thinks i should be getting some of those ball mice hacks as well. i didnt realise ball mice were better for cheating in fps games...

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
        lol its that good huh? well, me thinks i should be getting some of those ball mice hacks as well. i didnt realise ball mice were better for cheating in fps games...
        If anyone is talking about the ones where you move a ball on the top, then I really doubt I will play Halo well! (a.k.a. "marble")

OTOH, I play Halo well with a Logitech G Pro mouse!

And if you mean a roller on the bottom instead of an optical sensor, then I'm not sure. Sadly, never got to test one of those in Halo!
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-21-2020, 10:34 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          And if you mean a roller on the bottom instead of an optical sensor, then I'm not sure. Sadly, never got to test one of those in Halo!
          Yes, we're talking about that kind of mouse.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=114

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post

Well, it all depends on what you are used to, I suppose.
            Ball mice - at least good ones - will stop tracking when lifted off a mouse pad (or whatever surface you are rolling them on, but I absolutely despise not using a mouse pad.) Cheap ball ones sometimes continue to roll until their rollers inside stop (which can be cured with machine oil, if the mouse isn't complete garbage.)
            Optical and laser ones, on the other hand, often don't do that. Instead they tend to track even when the mouse is lifted a few mm from the surface (sometimes up to 5-7 mm!) This buggs me to hell in FPS games, as I often like to re-center my mouse on my mouse pad after I look in a certain direction. Otherwise, I do usually like the tracking better on a good optical/laser mouse. But not being able to lift and re-center the mouse is the deal breaker.

I also like the extra weight on a ball mouse. Can leave it on my mouse pad and not have to worry that it will move by itself from the slightest of wind or pull from its cable.

Well, if you do, make sure it's a Logitech or Dell, HP, and etc. OEM by Logitech. All other ball mice are crap. Like I mentioned, Logitech was the only one that used larger pickup roller wheels on the ball, so the mouse picked up movements a lot more accurately with close to zero "slipping". And the pitch on the encoder on the roller wheels was also finer, giving higher DPI... or actually more or less making up for the larger diameter of the pickup rollers.

Yes, we're talking about that kind of mouse.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=114
            Yup, that'd be the one I'm still using on my main PC.
            Seems to also give the least amount of fatigue on my wrist, compared to other mice I've used.
            Last edited by momaka; 02-04-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              ...but I absolutely despise not using a mouse pad...
              I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this!! The pad sets the boundaries...in the gaming days, I'd get so involved in the game, next thing I'd know the mouse is off the edge of the desk...
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this!! The pad sets the boundaries...
                Not only that, but it also prevents the mouse from scratching/wearing down whatever surface it is rolling on. I've seen desk tops where a mouse was heavily used with no mouse pad, and the finish looked worn and ugly. The plastic and/or feet on the mouse itself also wear down a lot faster (not to mention how much more gunk the mouse picks up.)

in the gaming days, I'd get so involved in the game, next thing I'd know the mouse is off the edge of the desk...

Oh that can still happen to me.
                Luckily, most of my keyboards are old and heavy, so I use them to slightly "clip" my mouse pad on one side, so it doesn't move around.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this!! The pad sets the boundaries...in the gaming days, I'd get so involved in the game, next thing I'd know the mouse is off the edge of the desk...
                  For me, it's the best on the surface of my desk. I made sure that I don't have to move it too far.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Even in 2018, IIRC, I did that. I plan to do that again later on this year!
                    I just came across your post. I have a P6T WS Pro which was a self-build in 2010.
                    I tried all manner of memory, triple channel etc and for 10 years I had to boot, switch off, then re-boot otherwise the memory was only half that of installed.
                    Three months ago (Feb 2020) I purchased a max set` (24Gb) random memory and now my machine boots correctly from the push of the button.
                    I am well-pleased!
                    Kind regards etc.,
                    How goes your system if you still have it?

Comment

Originally posted by raybob View Post
                      I just came across your post. I have a P6T WS Pro which was a self-build in 2010.
                      I tried all manner of memory, triple channel etc and for 10 years I had to boot, switch off, then re-boot otherwise the memory was only half that of installed.
                      Three months ago (Feb 2020) I purchased a max set` (24Gb) random memory and now my machine boots correctly from the push of the button.
                      I am well-pleased!
                      Kind regards etc.,
                      How goes your system if you still have it?
                      It's been sitting for months now, hoping that it's not a bad socket pin to the IMC! As I apparently can't even use the same "addition RAM" that I can in another Asus X58 motherboard, FFS!
                      Because I get RAM-related BSODs, Windows 7 SP1 would give me "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" BSOD at stock frequencies, even with standard DDR3 SDRAM latencies at 9-9-9-24, FFS!

The farthest I got so far, was that I was able to complete Windows 7 SP1 updates with just the 3-2 GB sticks for the usual 6 GB of triple-channel DDR3 SDRAM. I had to remove RAM stick(s) that would be OK on my P6T Deluxe. (IIRC)
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-17-2020, 11:31 AM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

It's been sitting for months now, hoping that it's not a bad socket pin to the IMC! As I apparently can't even use the same "addition RAM" that I can in another Asus X58 motherboard, FFS!
                        Because I get RAM-related BSODs, Windows 7 SP1 would give me "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" BSOD at stock frequencies, even with standard DDR3 SDRAM latencies at 9-9-9-24, FFS!

The farthest I got so far, was that I was able to complete Windows 7 SP1 updates with just the 3-2 GB sticks for the usual 6 GB of triple-channel DDR3 SDRAM. I had to remove RAM stick(s) that would be OK on my P6T Deluxe. (IIRC)
                        If its not a physically damaged pin (bent or broken), I've revived a few with cleaning. I use a bottle of rubbing alcohol with a sprayer. Spray the pins good, then use your finger and gently rub them. It's VERY easy to snag them, so I'll repeat GENTLY, and be careful of your fingernails!! Then take an air compressor and blow out the socket to dry it. Do the same for the contact pads on the bottom of the processor. This has revived more than a few cantankerous LGA-style motherboards....most recently was a X8DAI dual LGA1366 that on CPU0's bank, one of the 8gb modules wouldn't even show up.... Been perfect since.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                        Team : 49813
                        Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                        X