Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Optiquest Q9 no power

Originally posted by Valerie View Post
    We have the same problem with the Q9, and the same board as tiredcaps shows.
    So thanks for the very good coverage on what to do, and the pics. We will get back to you on how it all turned out.
    Ahh, the first LCD monitored I repaired. It is still going strong and used daily.

Good luck with the repair. If it doesn't work, post back and we will try to help out.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Not many good words about Viewsonic Optiquest.I have just had to replace Backlights on two of Q19WB models,and as the manufacture date was June 2008...I would have expected a longer life than that !!.

Comment

Hi again,

So I went in search of replacement caps and whoa... a whole new world of choices out there! I did the prudent thing and read your bad caps and good caps listings. I am leaning toward Rubycon or Panasonic. Suggestions are welcome since I have no clue in these matters.

I do have questions on what exactly to purchase. I see all these different chemicle make-ups (I will refer to them as species) of capacitors. I think I am looking for 105C low ESR if I red everything correctly.

There is one more question - please see the photos. What is this sleeve and how do I replace it? Does it come that way when purchased?

Thanks
        Valerie
        Attached Files

Comment

I am leaning toward Rubycon or Panasonic.
          I used Rubycon MCZ series, but Panasonic FM or FC series will work fine. Both are low ESR choices.

Here are PlainBill's instructions on how to order Panasonic FM caps from Digikey.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2

There is one more question - please see the photos. What is this sleeve and how do I replace it? Does it come that way when purchased?
          Not sure. I looked at my own photos of this monitor and it is a cap indeed, but I didn't replace it.

BTW, there is a "little" cap (C320) just right of the big cap. You should replace that too. It is part of the "startup" circuit. The little caps do not have to be bloated in order to be bad. Additionally, these caps are pretty cheap (probably 40 cents or less).
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi there folks,

Thanks retiredcaps, I will change that small one also. Can't hurt.

I see no one answered my question on that sleeve. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to do them all at once.

Valerie

Comment

I see no one answered my question on that sleeve. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to do them all at once.
              My guess is to protect it from something? From what I don't know.

Others may know its functionality, but if it were mine monitor and the cap was bloated, I would desolder it and cut open the sleeve to find out the uF and voltage. Maybe keep the sleeve?
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hey everyone,

We finally ordered the caps and got the job done for both Q9s. It was real easy. We did not replace the small one, only the three 470's and the 330uF, which was hidded by what appears to be heat shrink.

We did not replace the tubing. Mostly because the hubby was in a hurry to see if they worked. We will see how it goes.

So a BIG THANK YOU to all of you out there that posted the info and pictures!

Valerie

PS: We used Rubycon caps and orded from The Cap King. total cost = $4.21 (10 X 470 uF and 4 X 330 uF) and that included spares and shipping.

Comment

It was real easy. We did not replace the small one, only the three 470's and the 330uF, which was hidded by what appears to be heat shrink.
                  Congrats and good job. The little guy might come back and haunt you in a few months? Given how cheap the little caps are (probably 25 cents each), I would have replaced it without a thought.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi everyone. Been gleaning here for the last few days and now I'm getting ready to order. I have an AMW M19 monitor with the PI-SB01 board. I found 2 of the 16V 1000uF caps to be bulging, so I plan to replace all four of those, plus the 16v 220UF cap, the 400v 100uF cap, and the 50v 10uF cap. I was looking at digikey and wanted to verify that I"m getting the right units.

The panasonic FM that appears to match the (four) 16v 1000uF units is the EEU-FM1C102 (digi-key part P12366-ND).

The 16V 220uF unit didn't have any matches in the FM series. Does anyone have a part # they would recommend? Maybe the EEU-FC1C221 (digikey part # P11199-ND) whic is the FC series.

I didn't find any matches in the FM or FC series for the 400v 100uF unit. Any suggestions?

Lastly, the 50V 10uF unit had a couple hits in the FC Series. EEU-FC1H100L or EEU-FC1H100 (biggest difference I saw was ripple current: 125mA vs 90Ma, and impedance 1.3Ohm vs 2.5 Ohm).

I don't mind jumping in here and taking this thing apart (I've already desoldered all the units I think I want to replace, but I really want to get the right caps the first time. With a 2.5 year old and 4 month old, expendable time is hard to come by

Also, a couple of the caps (including the large 400v unit) were glued on to the board. Do you guys recommend glueing it down again? If so, what exactly do we use? I'm assuming is has to have a high temp rating, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by alexsquared View Post
                      Hi everyone. Been gleaning here for the last few days and now I'm getting ready to order. I have an AMW M19 monitor with the PI-SB01 board. I found 2 of the 16V 1000uF caps to be bulging, so I plan to replace all four of those, plus the 16v 220UF cap, the 400v 100uF cap, and the 50v 10uF cap. I was looking at digikey and wanted to verify that I"m getting the right units.

The panasonic FM that appears to match the (four) 16v 1000uF units is the EEU-FM1C102 (digi-key part P12366-ND).

The 16V 220uF unit didn't have any matches in the FM series. Does anyone have a part # they would recommend? Maybe the EEU-FC1C221 (digikey part # P11199-ND) whic is the FC series.

I didn't find any matches in the FM or FC series for the 400v 100uF unit. Any suggestions?

Lastly, the 50V 10uF unit had a couple hits in the FC Series. EEU-FC1H100L or EEU-FC1H100 (biggest difference I saw was ripple current: 125mA vs 90Ma, and impedance 1.3Ohm vs 2.5 Ohm).

I don't mind jumping in here and taking this thing apart (I've already desoldered all the units I think I want to replace, but I really want to get the right caps the first time. With a 2.5 year old and 4 month old, expendable time is hard to come by

Also, a couple of the caps (including the large 400v unit) were glued on to the board. Do you guys recommend glueing it down again? If so, what exactly do we use? I'm assuming is has to have a high temp rating, etc.

Unless the large cap (400V unit) is showing signs of leakage, you can generally leave it alone as it runs at a lower frequency (producing less heat) as compared to the smaller caps.

As for the smaller caps, make sure the diameter and height of the new caps are similar to the old ones. Slightly wider or higher is ok, as long as they fit.

The 220uf FC you chose will work. There's a FM, EEU-FM1E221, rated at 25V that looks to be the same ht and diam.

Chose the EEU-FC1H100L for the 10uf.

Select USPS First Class shipping for cheapest ship rate.

Comment

I have an AMW M19 monitor with the PI-SB01 board.

Also, a couple of the caps (including the large 400v unit) were glued on to the board. Do you guys recommend glueing it down again?
                        In the future, please post your monitor under a new thread with correct identification of your monitor so we track them properly.

The glue is used during the assembly process so the components don't move as other components are being populated. You can safely remove the glue and leave it off during the recap process.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                          Unless the large cap (400V unit) is showing signs of leakage, you can generally leave it alone as it runs at a lower frequency (producing less heat) as compared to the smaller caps.

The 220uf FC you chose will work. There's a FM, EEU-FM1E221, rated at 25V that looks to be the same ht and diam.

Select USPS First Class shipping for cheapest ship rate.
                          Being that I already desoldered the 400v unit, should I replace it or just put it back on?

Would it work to go to a 25v from a 16v unit on those 220uF? Again, caps and their ratings are not my forte.

Thank you for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                            In the future, please post your monitor under a new thread with correct identification of your monitor so we track them properly.

The glue is used during the assembly process so the components don't move as other components are being populated. You can safely remove the glue and leave it off during the recap process.
                            Understood. The only reason I chose to leave it here is that the power board seemed to be the same model others were referencing.

So, it appears I don't need to put this glue back on to secure the new caps?

Comment

Being that I already desoldered the 400v unit, should I replace it or just put it back on?

Would it work to go to a 25v from a 16v unit on those 220uF?
                              The large main filter caps like your 400V rarely, but not never, fails. So it is your call to replace or not.

Going up in voltage is fine.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Also, I found the EEU-FM1C222B, which is a 220uF at 16v unit (through Mouser electronics).
                                Any potential of using this for the 220uF unit?

Comment

Also, I found the EEU-FM1C222B, which is a 220uF at 16v unit (through Mouser electronics).
                                  Any potential of using this for the 220uF unit?
                                  That will work fine as well.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate it. I'll post back (under a new thread) of my success.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      I replaced three Capxon caps in a Q9 (purchased off kijiji for cheap) today with some Rubycon 470uf 25V 105C ZL capacitors.

PS. My 1st post and I read the FAQ about attaching pics.
                                      I thought it would be fun to update my very first post on badcaps (how time flies by).

Well, almost exactly 1 year later and 3,000 posts later, the monitor is still going strong despite my poor soldering job. It is now used by an in-law.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

question about the p10249-nd you used is the spacing correct? where its 3.5
                                        it looks like the same as the 1000uf and its 5 mm. i ws going to buy a p10250-nd just incase of this. also for the 470 50v was looking at p11260-nd

those are my fc list but i also made a fm list which is what i will end up ordering.

fc
                                        p10316-nd
                                        p10326-nd
                                        p11203-nd
                                        p11260-nd
                                        p10249-nd or p10250-nd

fm
                                        no 10 50v so its a fc
                                        p12397-nd
                                        p12366-nd
                                        p12400-nd
                                        p12378-nd or p12377-nd

Would anyone change this list (digikey i plan on)

Comment

oyea im working on 2 viewsonic vg730m's I got from resale store for $10. They have the pi-sb03 powerboard (same as yours)

Comment

Working...
                                          X