X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by Newbie2
    In the first three pictures, why are the failed caps in PCI slots?

The ECS K7S5A motherboard has been known here to catastrophically fail when the caps go bad in the MOSFET area, killing the MOSFETs.
    Yep, just look at my pic at the start
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

don?
      found in a deer made allied 250.lots of dr- numbers inside.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here are some pics of SAM YOUNG capacitors. (Different angles)
        You can see 2 of the 1500uf 10v are buldged at the top and the bottom seals are blown out.
        Attached Files

Comment

g-cap
          Attached Files

Comment

JetWay N2PAP Ultra board and it's Vcore Evercon caps:

They should be considered as bad caps and added to the list...
            The machine has problem starting up (sometimes more that six tries to sucesfull boot-up was need) and also the max. clock was about 2100Mhz for 1.650Vcore and about 2300Mhz semi-stable (but so was the board in general) for 1.575Vcore in Mobile AXP...

Definitively a "neat board" to own. My stepbro want to trash it, but I think I could save it with recapping and let it fold for me
            Last edited by willawake; 04-27-2006, 04:23 PM.
            "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
            "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of bad caps I've seen - feel free to use them in the first post (photo montage).

Note that the GSC pic was taken after I'd scraped most of the electrolyte off the top of the caps - but you can still see the bulge and residue where it was! The Tayeh pic is a bit blurred on the caps themselves, but it's meant to show the electrolyte oozing out of the bottom.
              Attached Files
              You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

just for topcat...
                a blown ruby!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by kc8adu; 06-09-2006, 04:17 PM. Reason: typo virus

Comment

YXB series? How old is that? Looks like a 1997 date code on that Takamisawa relay.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                    just for topcat...
                    a blown ruby!

I've seen a blown ruby on very rare occasions.... 21-gun salute for the dead ruby!!
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

What the hell... replacement work okay, kc8adu???

I mean - any cap can blow out when you, for example, overvolt it with AC current or when is used on bad designed mainboard that overstress it with excessive riple spikes (my DFI LP B as prime example how to kill Chemi-con KZG ones...) - so, some details will be lovely - probably in separate thread
                      "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                      "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

A blown Ruby is not unusual for me. We have Optiplex GX270 systems & I've seen probably 7 or 8 Rubycon caps that have either been bulging or leaking. It's always in the same place, right between the RAM sockets and the AGP slot.

Comment

that is in a ge-fanuc plc psu.
                          think easy bake oven.the nichicons were toast too.i service a similar unit in a mitek cyber saw that was only 2 years old when its caps spilled their guts.the saw operators have been known to keep a pizza warm in the plc rack till lunchtime!

Comment

Originally posted by scarfman
                            A blown Ruby is not unusual for me. We have Optiplex GX270 systems & I've seen probably 7 or 8 Rubycon caps that have either been bulging or leaking. It's always in the same place, right between the RAM sockets and the AGP slot.
                            Are you sure the caps are in the right way round? Rubycon should almost NEVER fail; when they do it usually means they are connected up wrong or the board is providing severe ripple current.
                            The stencil (and therefore the caps) could be backwards on the motherboard - it's not unknown!
                            You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

In such bad designs I would suggest bridge the caps with 100nF SMD ceramic caps - it won't fix the design flaw, but it does help the lifetime - at least partly

Comment

Originally posted by Tom41
                                Are you sure the caps are in the right way round? Rubycon should almost NEVER fail; when they do it usually means they are connected up wrong or the board is providing severe ripple current.
                                The stencil (and therefore the caps) could be backwards on the motherboard - it's not unknown!
                                If they are, then Dell's vendor would have installed them that way. My theory was that there's two small chips next to this cap (I'm assuming are voltage regulators) that are extremely hot to the touch, enough that they discolor the board over time; I think they are baking those Rubycons.

Comment

if they were connected wrong they would have blown shortly after installation.
                                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                    if they were connected wrong they would have blown shortly after installation.
                                    like my 5 minute fm!
                                    btw i emailed matsushita industrial and they confirmed my suspicion.one in 50k might get sleeved wrong and sneak past qc

Comment

one in 50k might get sleeved wrong and sneak past qc
                                      Then we are lucky if it screw itself in 5min...! Imagine that is start poorly dying like Teapos and random lockups and stuff come...!

5 min death is MUCH better

Comment

I am chore boy in one smal bazar and internet shop. One customer take a computer for repair.

GSC on CPU power

Dust

Computer:
                                        VIA MB - P4MA Pro 533 - with GSC caps LE series
                                        VGA- ManLi 4MX
                                        Honny & -HoNY- not brothers, but friends who lives in same town

Comment

I've heard people say that capacitor failure of socket7 motherboards was rare due to the low power consumption of the processors from that era, well I'd just like to share some badcaps from 2 particular SS7 boards I've owned

First picture are 3 GSC caps from a Gigabyte GA-5AA (ALi V chipset)

Second picture, is a failed (leaking) Tayeh form an Epox EP-MVP3C2 (VIA MVP3 chipset)

Sorry for the resolution, the pictures are old and were taken with a webcam
                                          Attached Files
                                          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
                                          X