No announcement yet.

Migration Complete, everything is working....post here if you think it isn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [attachments are now working] Site is back, attachments aren't yet. Read this ple

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    Originally posted by brethin View Post
    I have x4 2U Supermicro X7DDB Dual Quad Core x5460's 12 Bay Sata Isilon Servers of which I am olny using 2 of at the moment. They are pretty hardy and would run BCN with no problem if you need any hardware. They have dual PSU's and dual BBU's with x3 SAS ports and x2 GB ports and x2 Infiniband GBE 10GB ports.
    That would cost more in power to run in the span of five years than a brand new server. Why do you think large businesses/datacenters replace perfectly good servers every few years? Because the performance per watt of older servers are crap compared to new ones.
    I agree with Shovenose here *gasp*

While I love old workstation/server hardware, for actual usage, these sort of things do matter. Since this is an actual running website (and a relatively active one at that) power usage and reliability do add up. While I usually (and for my purpouses, still do) tout the build quality of this sort of hardware, given what (at least partially) ruined the old server, I wouldn't feel good replacing old with somewhat less old.

Yeah, for my workstations I do run somewhat old and well-used 10K drives in RAID 0, but there's no way in hell I'd do that for anything critical (let alone a web or backup server). Not to say Brethin's mentioned hardware is anything like that (it isn't; it's actually some legitimately beefy hardware), but the point is that sometimes going used/older works fine (if not better). Other times, like this, newer and fresh is the only rational solution.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: [attachments are now working] Site is back, attachments aren't yet. Read this ple

It's good as a spare mirror, as long as you don't pay that much for electricity (or have it for free), have reasonable connectivity and balancing set up the way it only sends traffic there if something is wrong with primary server.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

The Private Messaging system that we had to disable is now enabled again.
        The database had some problems along with a scheduled task that prunes invalid PM's.
        But after some fixing on a local testserver it seems all good *knocks on wood*

Originally posted by stj View Post
        because beer matters
        Finally we agree on something; I'm celebrating this with a Lithuanian Švyturys beer
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

The private messaging seems too be working fine it has kept all my old messages too.The forum is a lot faster so thanks again all involved in the change over.

Comment

Only one glitch I've had so far and not a biggie, it thinks I have an unread msg. and won't clear that notify.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
              Only one glitch I've had so far and not a biggie, it thinks I have an unread msg. and won't clear that notify.
              Highlight all the messages on page 1, then scroll to the bottom and mark them all as 'read'. fixed that for me.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Thanks. Got it. Sometimes the obvious escapes me.

Comment

No unread messaged here. Test PM going to Topcat.
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                    lol I had the same problem but I did the same thing TC did and it worked.

Comment

Re: Site is back, attachments aren't yet. Read this please!

That would cost more in power to run in the span of five years than a brand new server. Why do you think large businesses/datacenters replace perfectly good servers every few years? Because the performance per watt of older servers are crap compared to new ones.
                      Not sure how you do math but by my figures and my electric bill running 2 of these for the past year added just $360 to my bill for the year. Divide that by 2 and that's $180 per server per year over 5 years that is $900. The servers cost me $200 so $200 + $900 = $1100 total cost per server over 5 years.

There is no way in hell you can buy a New Server even if it runs at half the cost and save any money.

Business do not buy new servers to be more efficient, they buy new servers for the tax advantage (depreciate value).

Comment

I have x4 2U Supermicro X7DDB Dual Quad Core x5460's 12 Bay Sata Isilon Servers of which I am olny using 2 of at the moment. They are pretty hardy and would run BCN with no problem if you need any hardware. They have dual PSU's and dual BBU's with x3 SAS ports and x2 GB ports and x2 Infiniband GBE 10GB ports.
                        If you're willing to donate them, yes, we could make use of them for sure.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Not sure how you do math but by my figures and my electric bill running 2 of these for the past year added just $360 to my bill for the year. Divide that by 2 and that's $180 per server per year over 5 years that is $900. The servers cost me $200 so $200 + $900 = $1100 total cost per server over 5 years.

There is no way in hell you can buy a New Server even if it runs at half the cost and save any money.

Business do not buy new servers to be more efficient, they buy new servers for the tax advantage (depreciate value).
                          I bet your power is cheaper than mine.

Comment

I bet your power is cheaper than mine.
                            Just out of curiosity, what do they charge per KW/H there?
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Re: Migration Complete, everything is working....post here if you think it isn't

I have FTTH here. Apparently, the reason it seems slow sometimes, is because of Halo CE's networking code.

Every test passed with flying colours!

I have a Halo CE server on my Core 2 system.

It's the following:

Asus Maximus II Gene

Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC'ed to 3.0

8 GB DDR 2 @ 333

GeForce 9500 GT

Antec VP450

PNY Optima 120 GB SSD
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-23-2016, 10:35 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                Just out of curiosity, what do they charge per KW/H there?
                                Too much. And gas is also ridiculous - $2.59/gal dammit!

Comment

Re: Migration Complete, everything is working....post here if you think it isn't

1 litre gas in Sweden is roughly 12SEK which is currently $1.4
                                  A US liquid gallon is 3.785 litre which makes the gas price here $5.3 so think about that next time you fill up and I'm sure you will smile
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

When Katrina hit New Orleans the price went up to that in Atlanta Georgia. We were told that 3 of our 5 pipelines were out because of the storm.
                                    sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Too much. And gas is also ridiculous - $2.59/gal dammit!

And I thought 1.75 was bad (up in Lafayette IN it's around 1.35, whew). Better than the 3 or 4 a gallon days though...
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

And I thought 1.75 was bad (up in Lafayette IN it's around 1.35, whew). Better than the 3 or 4 a gallon days though...
                                        $1.35... Wow, that would be great! Time to drive across the country lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                          KW/H
                                          That's some very silly unit. What does it mean? Something like power acceleration?

Anyway, local gas is about 3.19 without VAT (which I can finally deduct, at least, otherwise its another 21 %).

As for electricity, the regulatory burreay is ATM trying to shift all the taxation for that renewable energy sources bullshit donations from big industry to small people. Soon it will be better to get your own electric generator here and smuggle pure gasoline (without all that bio shit=cheaper and better) from Ukraine or something.
                                          Last edited by Behemot; 01-25-2016, 06:10 AM.
                                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X