How to extend antenna from sony undercounter cd player/radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to extend antenna from sony undercounter cd player/radio

ancient thread but going back to my a.m building days and experiments you can add external antenna connections to the bar and also a grounding connection . just cant remember which taps it comes from now . also play with capacitors for sensitivity and selectivity .
    i forgot some of it .was 46 years and more ago now .

Comment

Originally posted by C Don 85 View Post
      To Jack 3756 - You explained wonderfully
      I know this is an old tread but my wife has decided to throw away her under cabinet radio Cd player (Sony CD543rm) because she likes to listen to Rush Limbaugh on FM and the reception was terrible.
      Jack, you explained the solution perfectly. I took the radio apart and finally found the capacitor C921 on the back side of the board. It is about the size of a half grain of uncooked rice on the line that comes from the power transformer secondary.
      I unsoldered it. I wanted to run an antenna wire from the capacitor but could not get the wire to solder to the capacitor. I gave that up and ran a Teflon coated antenna wire to a 1/8 inch mono phone jack that I installed in a hole I drilled above the vent hole. This kept it out of the way of the power cord wrapping place.
      When I put the machine together the reception was so good that I decided against putting an antenna wire in.

Than you again for passing on your knowledge. C Don
      C DON 85 and Jack 3756

Can you please tell me where the new antenna wire needs to be soldered! Photo!?

Carl, Sweden

Comment

where do I solder the new antenna wire?
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi. I have a Sony CDK50 under counter radio with identical problem, but interior is different enough that I cannot follow these instructions. Anybody have similar instructions for a Sony CDK50? Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the great advice. I have a Sony under-mount AM/FM/CD player (Model ICF-CDK50) with weak FM signal. Following the advice to unwind the curl in the power cord (inside the unit) and make it a bit straighter outside the unit (and hidden under the cabinet), the FM reception improved dramatically. Thank you!

Comment

Can't thank you enough Jack. Terrific explanation and the fix worked very well. I would only add that the capacitor mentioned is on the underside of the circuit board.

Comment

Working...
              X