LG Xboom PK5 demo mode..probably

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG Xboom PK5 demo mode..probably

Got 2 pieces of new LG Xboom PK5 bluetooth speakers for really cheap price, thanks to a friend. He told me these are demo products as it says on the box
    "Not for sales"
    Speaker powered by Type-C USB charger cable but not charging battery, I tore one down and checked the battery and charging circuit inside,all ok.
    Capacity remains at %10 and not charging above it to (I guess) keep battery from cycling and wearing effect since designed as a unit to stay on a store shelf for a period of time.
    You need to plug charger to make it power on, and once you plug charger you can't turn it off with power button because its totally effectless.
    Unit runs at full volume when powered, you need to adjust volume from source since volume up & down buttons not working.
    Obviously this unit is on demo mode, does anyone have an idea how to turn it in to normal mode ? any ideas will be appreciated.

Re: LG Xboom PK5 demo mode..probably

try using the reset hole in the rear panel

https://www.lg.com/in/support/support-product/lg-PK5
    Last edited by petehall347; 11-14-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

if that fails try this .
      Power off at the mains. Then hold power button on the top of the sound bar and the power on at the mains then
      release power button and it should be out of demo mode.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
        try using the reset hole in the rear panel

https://www.lg.com/in/support/support-product/lg-PK5
        this didn't work, all that do is restarting

if that fails try this .
        Power off at the mains. Then hold power button on the top of the sound bar and the power on at the mains then
        release power button and it should be out of demo mode.
        this also didn't work, another thing I forgot to mention is without charger it starts and chimes but battery indicator light glows red and unit turns itself off. With a full battery it does same but with battery indicator green

Comment

maybe there is a firmware update that might fix it ?

Comment

if you have the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xboom&hl=en_GB
            im sure if you go into settings there is a update section maybe this will update the firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
              if you have the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xboom&hl=en_GB
              im sure if you go into settings there is a update section maybe this will update the firmware?
              thanks for the suggestion, I did it but still not fixed, maybe I should find a good one and copy the firmware and flash it to mine

Comment

This speaker can't be hardwired to work as a demo right ?

Comment

Originally posted by tomodachi View Post
                  This speaker can't be hardwired to work as a demo right ?
                  It's possible.
                  But it wouldn't make sense to hardwire anything. After all, why do that, when you can just take any production floor model, and program a Demo mode to activate by pressing some buttons in a certain sequence or by selecting from a menu. This is what many other modern electronics (like TVs, for example) do, so I don't see why they would try to hardwire anything.

Comment

"Not for sales" might be they are broken waiting to be fixed .

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      It's possible.
                      But it wouldn't make sense to hardwire anything. After all, why do that, when you can just take any production floor model, and program a Demo mode to activate by pressing some buttons in a certain sequence or by selecting from a menu. This is what many other modern electronics (like TVs, for example) do, so I don't see why they would try to hardwire anything.
                      So true

"Not for sales" might be they are broken waiting to be fixed .
                      I don't think so, the person I got them from said he has loads of these and they all have same issue, said he bought them from a bankrupted company

Comment

Update :
                        I discovered that speaker s charging circuit working, on mobile application you can see current capacity, now its %100 percent full, but still don't allow me to use it, it turns itself off when turned on. But when connect charger it turns on its own

Comment

Any chance to find firmware binary file I can reflash ? any suggestions ? I can reflash the firmware to its motherboard.

Comment

Any chance to find firmware binary file I can reflash ? any suggestions ? I can reflash the firmware to its motherboard.
                            Would be interesting to see if that indeed solves the issue.

Hoping that someone sees this and can get a firmware dump here.

When it comes to firmware, I usually throw in the towel - but that's just me: I prefer to stick to hardware issues only.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              Would be interesting to see if that indeed solves the issue.

Hoping that someone sees this and can get a firmware dump here.

When it comes to firmware, I usually throw in the towel - but that's just me: I prefer to stick to hardware issues only.
                              haha thanks, I m also a hardware guy myself but gadgets nowadays piss me off with their strange firmware issues

Comment

Any suggestion. I have a pk7 with the same problem.

Comment

haha thanks, I m also a hardware guy myself but gadgets nowadays piss me off with their strange firmware issues

Comment

I work for a major retailer which has the demo units for the PK7, PK5, and PK3. If you look at the bottom of the unit you will see SVC CODE: PK3.AUSDEMO

These are firmware modified units from LG which will disables all controls other than "Enhanced Bass", prohibits Bluetooth, and battery operation. I the only way I have seen people overcome these firmware locks in the past is to open a retail unit, dump the firmware, open the demo unit and overwrite the NAND with retail firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by rcdavi3 View Post
                                      I work for a major retailer which has the demo units for the PK7, PK5, and PK3. If you look at the bottom of the unit you will see SVC CODE: PK3.AUSDEMO

These are firmware modified units from LG which will disables all controls other than "Enhanced Bass", prohibits Bluetooth, and battery operation. I the only way I have seen people overcome these firmware locks in the past is to open a retail unit, dump the firmware, open the demo unit and overwrite the NAND with retail firmware.
                                      So I guess that means we need someone who has a dump of the retail firmware to post it here.

What a waste! I'm sure LG could have easily programmed the Demo mode inside as an additional option. So frustrating to see manufacturers do things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by tftcamilo View Post
                                        Hey, I m here again with the solution !
                                        Finally found a retail version of PK5 and backed up firmware from it.
                                        did exactly as rcdavi3 mentioned here and result was just as expected.
                                        after reflash unit will work same as retail version.
                                        I m posting here the dump, its ok but belong to an older version.
                                        after reflash unit will work same as its retail version.
                                        Remember to update firmware after reflash, not only will update software, it will also increase volume to about %20
                                        To update firmware you need to install an app to your phone named "LG Xboom"
                                        any questions let me know

Models that work with this dump;
                                        LG Xboom PK5
                                        LG Xboom PK7
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by tomodachi; 12-15-2020, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X