Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strange malfunctioning LED audio peak level meter problem

Originally posted by redwire View Post
    After a good cry, I would do the surgery on the old pc board. Get a bunch of 0805 or 0603 LED's (old style yellow green) and scrape off the old ones and some solder mask with an exacto knife. Then some flux and solder on the new LEDs.

There are 12 LED VU meter displays and/or kits that might fit as well, from fleabay or Ali.
    I would do the same if I had the tools and skills. These parts are way way smaller than anything I've ever worked on before.
    That led meter looks nice. How would you wire that to the board? I imagine you'd have to tap into the audio signal going to the old display's circuitry, cut it and reroute to this display? I looked at the one you suggested. I'm surprised they don't give better specs on its size. The face of the cassette player has holes that these LED's would have to line up with.
    Last edited by JimBanville; 08-14-2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I quickly found one here, other stores are lower price https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000143963406.html
      youtube video on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL5S2Z7fnM0

The LED bars' part number "aktech 190802" but no datasheets on it.
      "PCB the size of 80*14mm, LED module area : 58*14mm"
      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848296152.html

The original board seems to have four wires: L, R line level, GND, +10VDC power.
      The new board would just wire in direct (it has two ground wires) but I'm not sure how to calibrate it; it must be done in software.
      Last edited by redwire; 08-14-2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Update... ok. So I messed up. I ordered the below listed LED's and began installing them in 3's, since that's how they're connected in series, after which I would test them by playing a cassette. The first set of three worked fine. I installed next set of three. Those worked great. I installed the next set of three. They worked great...for a few seconds. Then I saw a puff of smoke. It was the fusible resistor on the power supply. I assume the LED's were drawing too much current. Ugg.

EDGELEC 20pcs Prewired 0805 Green SMD LED Light Emitting Diode DC 3V Micro Litz Length 7.8in. (20cm) Soldered Mini LED Lights for DIY Manual Model Toy Decoration https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FN5HVPR..._4wvtFbTHYBD2Q

Comment

it does not work like that, leds draw as much power as you give them.
          the rest of the circuit decides how much current they get.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            Ah. Ok. So I guess I shorted something on the led board then. I'll take a close look at it. Thanks.

Comment

I've ordered some 4.7ohm 1/4 watt fusible resistors (FRM-25JT-52-4R7). I'll replace the resistor and leave the led board disconnected to verify no other damage occurred and the machine is working (minus the led display) before proceeding.
              I'm actually kicking myself for not following my plan. You can wire 3 LED's in series and connect only the two remaining ends, but for some reason I started wiring each led in independently, which resulted in way more work and every solder joint increases the odds of something going wrong.
              I've pulled all the resistors off the board and I'll go over it with some solder wick to get a good second start at this. Anyone that has looked at the led board schematic have any good advice on how to check if there's a short? Thanks!!
              Last edited by JimBanville; 09-01-2020, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                So I replaced the fusible 4.7ohm 1/4 watt resistor and unplugged the led display module. It has been running about 15 minutes with no issues, so I'm assuming it was the led module that was shorted or drawing too much current and I didn't fry any other parts beside that sacrificial resistor.

Comment

Be careful as any shorts on the LEDs/wiring is stressful to the COB chip on the module.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                    Be careful as any shorts on the LEDs/wiring is stressful to the COB chip on the module.
                    Yea. I hope I didn't damage it. There's an 8 pin connector on the led module. I wish there was a way to use that to check for shorts. I went across all of them with a multimeter, but none of them gave a continuity tone.

Comment

So I used solder wick to remove everything I did to the LED VU board and plugged it in. The deck played fine and no blown fusible resistor! Yay!
                      I plan on trying this one more time. I'm going to go about it the way I had originally intended, which is to wire the led leads to each other first and then connect them to the board with as few connection points as possible.

Comment

Hello.

Did this work in the end? I have an Harman Kardon TD292 with LED VU issues

Comment

Originally posted by edom31 View Post
                          Hello.

Did this work in the end? I have an Harman Kardon TD292 with LED VU issues
                          No. I gave up and moved onto other projects. Bad led meters are a common problem with this model. Bad design. They should've used regular SMD leds.

Comment

Working...
                          X