Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MS-16GF1 with no video

Hi,

I'm working a MSI MS-16GF1 board with no video on lcd or external connections.

There are sings of water damaged at +1_35VDIMM output mosfets, but +1_35VDIMM is ok.

All voltages are present and PLT_RST# signal is present. (1.5 us at high level, 10 us low and then high for the rest of the time)

PLT_RST# is step 29 and last step in power on sequence. (so Power on Sequence seems ok)

I have downloaded and programmed ec-bios and pch-bios from MSI website.

Power led lights blue for a second and then changes to orange.

The two ddr3l modules are ok. (tested on other laptop)

Could be that cpu or gpu are damaged but there are lots of components to test before thinking to replace cpu.

Can someone point me the way for convert graphics to uma. (just in case a bad gpu issue)
    All comments will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Francisco.s; 09-23-2020, 03:06 PM.

Re: MSI MS-16GF1 with no video

The two ddr3l modules are ok. (tested on other laptop)
    The +0_675VRUN feed to DDR3L termination voltage, was affected also, so could be that ddr3 modules were damaged. (but not the case)

Power consumption seems also ok.(1.5 amps from lab psu)

I have the MS-16GC1 schematic, not the same but helps.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi, i have a different problem with same board. Mosfet PQ26 (AO4413) heats up to over 100°C and laptop turns off. Nothing else was heating so i replaced it and problem is the same. How can i find source of the problem?

Comment

Was the AO4413 soldered in the same orientation for pin # 1 ?

Also, for this part to be heating, the component may be under severe load.

Remove all power -> check the resistance to ground of source pins (1-2-3). What is the resistance ?

Also check the resistance to ground of the drain pins (5-6-7-8). What is the resistance ?
        Last edited by mon2; 11-15-2022, 04:21 PM.

Comment

to be precise, i replaced it with equivalent because i couldn't reach 4413, i put there AO4423 which should be ok, but as i said - it didn't make difference. As you can see in the picture - orientation is right - both mosfets are connected on their drain sides.
          As for resistance: it shows stable 391k on drain side, but on the source side it varies very much. First time i touched it - it has shown values from 20k and rising, checked again - start at 30k and going down. I waited a few seconds and checked again - from 10k and rising. While i was writing this i checked again. Drain has stable 363k, but source has shown 8k and rising.
          Attached Files

Comment

in the meanwhile i checked original AO4413 again and it turns out that it's ok - not damaged. Ill solder it back in and then check resistances

Comment

If the mosfet is heating it up, it is for a reason. You are drawing too much current on the mosfet pins or the mosfet is defective. The replacement looks suitable.

Comment

Working...
              X