X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

computer on 2 networks

Here is a "rough" estimate of my planned network:

My question:

I am password-protecting my workshop router. If I receive this signal at my upstairs dish/router, how/where do I put in the password? The upstairs thin client has an ethernet cable going to the upstairs router. That is to say, how will my upstairs thin client be allowed to log on to the Workshop network?

(The upstairs thin client will be controlled (VNC or RDP) by the upstairs computer.)

Thanks ahead of time,

Jaime

Re: computer on 2 networks

Originally posted by JuniperSprouts View Post
    I am password-protecting my workshop router.
    What type of routers do you have are planning to use?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have a couple Linksys WRT54G routers. I am open to other options/suggestions.

I do not know in which "mode" the upstairs router should be. I have set up dozens of simple home networks. This is new to me.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

I have a couple Linksys WRT54G routers. I am open to other options/suggestions.

I do not know in which "mode" the upstairs router should be.
        The WRT54G are perfect for this application. Although, I'm a bit hesitant helping someone with a "Juniper" screen name with a Cisco product!

You have a couple of alternatives.

1) The Wireless Repeater mode will turn the access point into a wireless repeater to extend the range of your signal.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=4200

2) The Access Point Client mode allows the WAP54G to act as a wireless client.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

I assume your thin client has 2 ethernet ports?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          The WRT54G are perfect for this application. Although, I'm a bit hesitant helping someone with a "Juniper" screen name with a Cisco product!
          Haha! I still have a hard time thinking of Linksys as a Cisco entity.

Thank you for the short & sweet answers. I asked at another forum. Some jerk just kept hassling me about how thin client computing was not cost-effective & was "out of date." I just picked up a $30 unit for fun, learning, and big savings on the number of watts the thing will pull.

WAP Client mode - perfect. You even gave links with instructions - very nice.

The client does have 2 NICs.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. It has given me information & confidence.

-Jaime

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. It has given me information & confidence.
            You are welcome. Always glad to help out where I actually have some expertise.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

looks more complex than mine... at least the only wifi on it is form a router to a laptop:

Attached Files
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Ratdude, you'll have a slightly nicer networking experience if you replace the hub with a switch, when life permits.

Comment

it IS a switch...

it is this model:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...008C&cpc=RECOM

i found it at a surplus place for $5, and needed one bad, so i took it. it does well...

i did not know there was a difference between hub and switch.

fixed:

Attached Files
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 08-06-2010, 09:56 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Haha! I still have a hard time thinking of Linksys as a Cisco entity.
                    LOL! Like my dad used to say, "You can't polish a turd"
                    Slapping a Cisco sticker on Linksys crap, gives you the same old crap with a shiny new sticker.
                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      i found it at a surplus place for $5, and needed one bad, so i took it. it does well...

i did not know there was a difference between hub and switch.
                      Good price for a 10/100 switch.

Hubs work at layer 1 (aka simple repeater) Switches work at layer 2 or layer 3 depending on the implementation. Yours is a layer 2 switch.

Hubs were probably "before your time". You won't see hubs much nowadays. Just like thicknet or thinnet (for the guys that were involved with ethernet at the very beginning).
                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

i see

i have an old hub with both 10baseT and 10base2... lol. not in service though...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          i see
                          Just to expand a bit more. It is more complex than this, but ...

layer2 means the switch looks at the ethernet destination mac address and forwards it to the correct outbound port.

layer3 means the switch looks at the higher layer protocol destination address (for example, tcp/ip) and forwards it to the correct outbound port.

My first network install was an arcnet over coax cable with Novell 2.11 on 1.2Mb diskettes running on a Compaq Deskpro 286 with 4MB (I think) of memory.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yea, and a hub does not look at all on the packets
                            It simply receives a packet on one port then sends it out an all ports (since it does not know who the recipient of the packet is)

So a hub is way less efficient, it also makes the computers NIC's (and processors if it has cheap NIC's) work much harder to shift through all the packets not destined for it

You can imagine how easily saturated a 10mbps or 100mbps HUB network is, just one computer transmitting at full speed will use up all bandwidth

With a switch however (if it's a good one, with a good backbone) you can transmit at 100mbps between each of the computers that are connected to the switch at once, in effect using several gigabits of traffic on a 48port 100mbps switch...
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

you forgot to add one thing.. hubs usually just forward the info on and work more like a standard splitter, meaning you loose signal strength as it goes through the hub. A switch will not only direct it to the correct port, but also works like a amplifier and strengthens the signal for better transmission lengths and accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by kaniki View Post
                                you forgot to add one thing.. hubs usually just forward the info on and work more like a standard splitter, meaning you loose signal strength as it goes through the hub. A switch will not only direct it to the correct port, but also works like a amplifier and strengthens the signal for better transmission lengths and accuracy.
                                Wow, thank you soooo much for this information
                                An old A+ book (and teacher) I had said that you can only daisy chain up to 3 switches
                                So what they meant was infact 3 hubs!

I have been thinking about this ever since that day, and never bothered to ask anyone else
                                As what I was told and read I accepted, but did not believe actually, since I had personally seen networks with over 500 computers, but only switches, not a single router, you can imagine how many switch "hops" the furthest away computers had, which where actually in different buildings etc, some miles apart connected with fibre!
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                  since I had personally seen networks with over 500 computers, but only switches, not a single router, you can imagine how many switch "hops" the furthest away computers had, which where actually in different buildings etc, some miles apart connected with fibre!
                                  That design above is a network meltdown in the making. A single L2 network across multiple buildings and connected miles apart via fibre has so many design problems, I can't even begin to list.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

retiredcaps; it sure is, and I told them many times, they knew this too...
                                    But you know, since it was the government does it surprise?

Atleast the hospital had it's own router so was separate from the rest of the crap

Comment

you can network as many hubs or switches as you want, but with hubs, you have one giant collision domain, and that is bad

you can always use a linux router distro with wifi cards, and bridge the two
                                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                      X