.LAN domain on network devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.LAN domain on network devices

Some manufacturers use a ".LAN" domain on network devices, mainly those intended for home or SOHO applications, to make it easier to find and configure.
    It is highly unlikely that the Internet would ever use a ".LAN" domain.
    Caution should be exercised when using a domain name on network devices, which means if there are two or more devices with the same domain name on the same local network e.g. www.mywirelessrouter.lan (and enter this into your web browser), problems can occur.
    This problem can be prevented by adding the last 6 digits of the MAC address to the domain name of the network devices.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: .LAN domain on network devices

that "feature" drives me NUTS, netgear has the same thing www.routerlogin.com
    It manipulates standards to make things easier which i find LAMEx10.

I typically disable that, some AMPED have option to disable, others, well just sucks.

Comment

I like the routerlogin thing... except on mine it's .net
      Cool thing is, they have both the domains for real, which redirect to their support site.
      Now WTF is up with charging money for support? lol

Comment

Originally posted by mattch View Post
        that "feature" drives me NUTS, netgear has the same thing www.routerlogin.com
        It manipulates standards to make things easier which i find LAMEx10.

I typically disable that, some AMPED have option to disable, others, well just sucks.
        Well there's the default 192.168.0.1 which always works if you're running on the default range and Netgear Firmware, but I'm running on DGTeam firmware on a 192.168.5.0/24 range.

Comment

I don't see why they bother with a name or bogus domain, it's a local network device, just use the IP address.
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

The Thomson I'm using has a ".Local" domain...

But the firmware is so shitty you can't even disable that 'feature'
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
            X