weard network problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: weard network problem

I know you didn't reset the router. Resetting one of the switches forced the router to rebuild its address table and cleared the error by reassigning addresses on that segment. I don't know that it would have anything to do with SSL, NAT is just dealing with MAC and IP addresses.

Comment

So when it happens again I will have the manager just reset the router to see it that corrects the problem, which it should do. Bad word that word "should".

Comment

Determine the router model and if the default password has not been changed then you could login to it and reset it over the wire rather than have to physically do it at the router, provided the router has not completely hung and you can still login to it of course.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
          Determine the router model and if the default password has not been changed then you could login to it and reset it over the wire rather than have to physically do it at the router, provided the router has not completely hung and you can still login to it of course.
          That would be if the software department would give me the password. Which they won't. Now, they have put a supervisory password on the set up of the bios screen. I told my Manager that now they are forcing me to open up the machine and moving the jumper on the motherboard to reset the bios. He kind of looked at me concerned and then I told him I was joking.

Comment

Well, I'm not advising that you usurp their security, just saying that if the default management password for the router has not been changed it would be possible find it by looking up the model of the router online.

Comment

admin/admin
              usually

Comment

http://portforward.com/default_usern...word/index.htm

Comment

I tried this but unfortunately they have set a password. I did find the model number though which is F7D7320 v1. They have disabled Guest Access.
                  Last edited by keeney123; 11-21-2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

F7D7320 does show any results searching for Belkin routers. Sure you got that model # right? Guest access is irrelevant. That has nothing to do with logging into to the router management page.

Comment

Just buy a new router, they are dirt cheap and anything you buy today will be x10 better than the junk you are trying to fix.

Comment

It's not his.

Comment

so, i'm starting to wonder why we have this thread.
                          some other obviously useless bunch of fucks is in charge of all this - leave them to it.

after enough complaints, it wil be handed to a new admin group.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            so, i'm starting to wonder why we have this thread.
                            some other obviously useless bunch of fucks is in charge of all this - leave them to it.

after enough complaints, it wil be handed to a new admin group.
                            Unfortunately they do not listen to the tenants complaints, I mean the upper management. I could tell you time and again many, many instances, but that is what it is like living in public housing. The real people that do the work are the live-in Building Manager and the Building Case Manager. I had to fight awfully hard to get these people in place. It took me about 2 years to do this.

Comment

I attached the set up of the Belkin Router.
                              Attached Files

Comment

How many nodes are on the network? You have 2 switches separating Staff and tenants which makes it sound like there are probably over 20 nodes.

Can you give a list of the hardware you're using? modem, router, switch model numbers and brands.

Is all of this business grade equipment, or is it made up of consumer grade equipment. I once lived in well, we'll call it an apartment building just for simplicity sake. So the person who setup the network didn't know what he was doing and bought a consumer grade router with a USB port so he could connect a NAS.

Everyone constantly complained about connection bandwidth, there were 29 people living there, and probably 30-35 devices connected at any time. So, We had about a 150MB down business line. Running speed tests I'd get about 30 MB. Turns out, the moron took a business class modem/router combo, then put the consumer grade router behind it, then put all of the switches behind that.

Essentially, what I'm getting at here is, if you have any consumer grade equipment, and you have more than 10 nodes connected, you may want to consider upgrading to business class, if you have 20+ nodes, you should definitely upgrade. Consumer grade equipment doesn't really handle many devices terribly well in my experience.

Let me know the equipment and I can probably give you some recommendations.

example

Modem: SMC Blah ==> Router: Cisco Blah Blah ==> Switch1: Netgear Blah
                                ==> Switch2: Linksys Blah

Comment

These techs at this place are responsible for about 15 buildings. They have a part time volunteer guy who once every three months comes around just to update the windows updates. Most of the time he does not get through the 7 machines in 2 to 3 hours and then says I will see you in three months. He absolutely does not know much. The people who are paid I have only seen one guy, who is not in-charge, come by in the 8.5 years I have lived here. The only reason he came by was to fix the computers because I took over one of the computers and they could not live with that, so now they have a security supervisory password on the bios set up. I jokingly said to the manager now they are going force me to open the computer. I will be leaving here within the next 3 months. I just was trying to make things better for the tenants.

Comment

Sounds like you've been trying to volunteer to help too and you're obviously willing to find solutions to problems. In my opinion they should have let you volunteer to help as well.

Comment

Yes I did volunteer my service because everyone that I came in contact with said they just do not have the time. I would had made sure these computers were up to date. I wrote them two letters of what I think was causing problems with the printer. They never even acknowledge they received the letters. Even thou I am on disability I try to help people who are to poor to pay for help. I have repair computers, TVs, walkers, help artist, help women in transitional housing, help people filling medication, repair trailers, installed lights, changed Medicare policy. One has to stay busy to stay alive. This is just what my father taught me. He grew up on a cotton farm in MS I guess one needed to depend on their neighbor at times. He helped people all his life who could not afford to pay for help and usually those people would help my Dad.

Comment

That sounds like the only way to live; giving, receiving, and sharing all out of respect and compassion for others and oneself. Your dad raised a good person.

Back to the network stuff, I just want to add some info for general knowledge.

It doesn't matter how fast the modem connects to the internet if the local network gear can't go that fast, and the numbers are misleading. To connect to the internet at 100mbps actual speed then all the downstream equipment must support 1000mbps (aka "gigabit ethernet") to work at that speed. That is because with ethernet the actual data transfer rate can only reach about 30% of the rated speed without errors and packet loss, so the ethernet standard throttles it down to 30% throughput to avoid errors. A 100mb ("fast ethernet") lan connection can only reach about 30mbps actual throughput, a 1000mb ("gigabit ethernet") can only reach about 300mbps.

Lets assume there is a modem that connects at 100mbps. In order for that speed to be available at the computer then the router, switches, cables and the network port on the computer must be connecting at 1000mb.

Comment

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Housing has install a new HP network printer. I guess it helps to be a squeaky wheel sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                          X