Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

NautilusComputer:
    It would be best to start a new thread for your model, attach some pictures of the boards and one of the complete rear with all boards connected if you can

Comment

Shine a flashlight at the screen at angle if need be, look for display or text, hit menu button, do you see anything?

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        nope... the "fet" on the tcon blows on vizios as opposed to the sharp design which seems to shut down the set before the tcon dies. You need to go to the "big" vizio thread on here and read about the repair / replacement most do to get the set back up and running.
        Because it is a 50 - 50 chance of choosing the wrong side, most have spare components so they can test using the "remove the corner cable" twice to determine which side is bad. You can also visual inspect the side tabs to see if you notice a problem which will help with the guessing.
        Thanks - I'll hunt down that thread and ask questions over there so as to not derail this one.

Comment

Originally posted by NautilusComputer View Post
          Thanks - I'll hunt down that thread and ask questions over there so as to not derail this one.
          this is the thread you need to read...
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=vizio+70

you will likely be successful with saving the set... but make sure you take care handling the 70 as it is big and "flexy" when you are moving it around without the full "skelton structure" in place.
          Last edited by budwich; 08-18-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

How are you going to derail this thread? 323 posts it was derailed long ago.

Comment

Howdy folks! First post here.

I recently had opportunity to pick up a Vizio E70i-A3E for the low, LOW price of free - problem is, it's got sound and backlight, but no picture. So down the road of 'new mainboard' I started to go...and ran across a post on AVS Forum that had a link to here. As you folks still seem active, I figured I'd check in here first.

If the T-con is blown, will I still be able to unplug the corner cable and test which side is bad, or will I need to have a working T-con first?

Thanks in advance!
              Too EARLY to say it's a bad panel, need to do some basic testing first.

Comment

I pulled a working Sharp LC-70LE84U from somebody's wall. After plugging it in at my house I see the dreaded 2 5 flashing. It's a shock since the TV was working hours ago. The only difference is it was plugged into a Monster Power Center.

Here's what I've tried:

1) Entering service mode. Excuse the crappy source but it looks fine and I get the "K"
                2) Test pulling each of the four T-Con connectors at the T-Con board and testing each time. TV doesn't turn on. I think you're supposed to pull the L/R corner plugs but looks like I need to take of the bezel and I didn't go that far.
                3) Tested PNL_PWR (Pin 16) on the power supply board which was really hard to get to. It's 3.32V right after plugging in the TV. Goes to 0V after ~10s when the TV starts 2 5 flashing.

I've attached pictures. I'd really appreciate some help on next steps.
                Attached Files

Comment

Use a flashlight and closely inspect the screen, hopefully it didn't crack in transport.

Comment

in the service mode, carefully look at some of the pages especially the first one (I think) which shows error counts.

from your display picture, it appears that there is a horizontal line running in the top section... maybe. also try plugging into a different outlet and reseating the power cable. The corner cables are accessed by removing the bottom plastic frame member and not the bezel.
                    Last edited by budwich; 09-10-2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                      Use a flashlight and closely inspect the screen, hopefully it didn't crack in transport.
                      in the service mode, carefully look at some of the pages especially the first one (I think) which shows error counts.

from your display picture, it appears that there is a horizontal line running in the top section... maybe. also try plugging into a different outlet and reseating the power cable. The corner cables are accessed by removing the bottom plastic frame member and not the bezel.
                      I really appreciate all the help. I quickly ran a flashlight across the screen this morning and didn't see anything. I think the source material may be giving the illusion of a crack. I will check again tonight along with the suggestions above. Thanks!
                      Last edited by tritonic; 09-10-2019, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I was not suggesting a crack in the panel. I was suggesting a display issue as in picture / pixels not correct. using poor source material will make it difficult to evaluate whether a display is functioning totally correct or has an issue.

Anyway, you are heading in the right direction. Although you indicate that the tv was functioning before this happen, is it possible that the set had issues (starting or otherwise) unbeknown to you and now you are seeing the "full result"?

Comment

I was not suggesting a crack in the panel. I was suggesting a display issue as in picture / pixels not correct. using poor source material will make it difficult to evaluate whether a display is functioning totally correct or has an issue.

Anyway, you are heading in the right direction. Although you indicate that the tv was functioning before this happen, is it possible that the set had issues (starting or otherwise) unbeknown to you and now you are seeing the "full result"?
                          Someone above suggested a crack. Here's a picture of the error codes i think. Also, here's a couple pictures with a completely white screen and an image. I've zoomed in on the lower screen because I noticed some streaks. Could this be the issue?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't look cracked, I don't see the flaw in those pictures.

Comment

I don't think it is cracked BUT the "marks" in the second picture (white angular "scratches"... if that is what you are trying to convey) appear to indicate that perhaps the set had some work done on it for backlighting and that the "marks" are a "reflection" of that work in terms of the layers in the panel.

As I asked before, what is the history of the set?

As for the error codes, I am not sure what they indicate... from various sharp SM, "21" is a power supply fault... but you kind of know that as I think the flash code also points to the same "failure". The fault is associated with the 12v system (tcon / power supply / panel). Based on my limited experience, the sharp system is good at monitoring this voltage and shuts down "quickly" before a more significant failure occurs as those you see with the "equivalent" vizio sets which usually takes out a FET on the tcon.

Not sure if the system specifically monitors the voltage itself or has some way of determining current levels. It is likely that too much current is a "bad thing" and the better trigger.

Your problem seems to be unaffected by disconnecting of cables which perhaps point elsewhere from the panel... but without knowing history and knowning the fact of the move, leaves the panel in question. I would recheck all screws holding down cards to ensure that they are tight. Check the frame area in and around the bottom edge boards as I do believe at one time, some sharp sets had an issue with the edge board coming loose and touching the frame which caused an issue.

One last thing, you can try a hard reset. I am not sure what the method is for this set so search. Some sets also have a reset within the service menu to clear errors.... it is likely your set has this one which might clear the monitor error.
                              Last edited by budwich; 09-11-2019, 06:54 AM.

Comment

I don't think it is cracked BUT the "marks" in the second picture (white angular "scratches"... if that is what you are trying to convey) appear to indicate that perhaps the set had some work done on it for backlighting and that the "marks" are a "reflection" of that work in terms of the layers in the panel.

As I asked before, what is the history of the set?

As for the error codes, I am not sure what they indicate... from various sharp SM, "21" is a power supply fault... but you kind of know that as I think the flash code also points to the same "failure". The fault is associated with the 12v system (tcon / power supply / panel). Based on my limited experience, the sharp system is good at monitoring this voltage and shuts down "quickly" before a more significant failure occurs as those you see with the "equivalent" vizio sets which usually takes out a FET on the tcon.

Not sure if the system specifically monitors the voltage itself or has some way of determining current levels. It is likely that too much current is a "bad thing" and the better trigger.

Your problem seems to be unaffected by disconnecting of cables which perhaps point elsewhere from the panel... but without knowing history and knowning the fact of the move, leaves the panel in question. I would recheck all screws holding down cards to ensure that they are tight. Check the frame area in and around the bottom edge boards as I do believe at one time, some sharp sets had an issue with the edge board coming loose and touching the frame which caused an issue.

One last thing, you can try a hard reset. I am not sure what the method is for this set so search. Some sets also have a reset within the service menu to clear errors.... it is likely your set has this one which might clear the monitor error.
                                The TV came from my parents house and had been wall mounted since new which is ~3yrs. The TV was on and functional before moving. No issues in the past. I was careful moving as the TV is really flexible, much more so than my other Vizio sets. It was loaded in the back of my SUV and driven about 10 miles.

I'll try a hard reset and check the boards as you mentioned above. I appreciate the pointers.

Comment

Maybe: Unplug the television.
                                  Press and hold the "Channel Down" and "Input" buttons on the panel.
                                  Plug the television back in while holding down these buttons. ...
                                  Keep holding the buttons until the television powers back on. ...
                                  Use the remote to navigate the "Service Mode" menu and select "Factory Reset" from the menu.

Comment

you would help yourself out, if you put a color test pattern up on the screen (smpte bars) which may make it easier to see display issues... first the display will be static and two, multiple colors / timings / levels in signals will be involved in well defined areas.

Having said all this, there have been posts in the past of "hung tvs" (two in fact from the same use site / building) that both suffered panel failure. Perhaps depending on how the panel is hung (ie. angle), it puts pressure on the panel in "funny ways".

For sure find the hard reset method and possibly how to zero the errors (without wiping out the tv... careful here).

Comment

thanks for this.... I am in "OH OH" mode.... :-)

When I mean "disassemble the screen"... I mean take up at the top layer of the "sandwich".

IF you look at the picture that I posted, the flex cable tab goes under the first screen... there is no access to the back side... PS. forget about the actual "side view" shown in the previous picture... I am indeed working on
                                      the screen's right side. (it was just easier taking the

picture for the other side to illustrate what I am looking

at. The new attached picture is where I am at NOW. yikes!

Further, I "flipped" around the side edge board (lower right side). When I did that, the lowest driver ic came away "easy" from the side of the panel while the next one up "broke in half" with part stuck to the cable and part remaining on the side of the panel.
                                      NOTE: there is still no easy way to detact the flex cable (bond) from the screen... Do I just cut it?
                                      ok bud...
                                      i had same issue with my tv and will look at tab drivers this week and keep you guys informed..

there is hope for sharp tvs

Comment

Hellow budwich, amazing thread i hope you can help me on this...
                                        I have a Sharp lcd LC 32r 24b with the 2-5 code and have changed the power suplay and worked fine for 2 minutes and go dead so the owner give up of them and give me the set, i think at the time was the mainbord (this set dont have tcom bord the tcom is onboard in the mainbord or signal board, but them have the same code after i change it, i try to unplug the two flat cables who goes from the main board (+_tcom) to the two driver bords at the top edge of the panel and i get the 2-5 anyway with the panel compleatly disconected, what do you think can be wrong with the set once i have two main boards now and canot be the two with the same sintoms in the tcom output section right?

p.s. Sorry for my English i do not use tranlation and im Brazilian. Thanks all for your attention.
                                        Last edited by arraialp; 11-23-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

:-( I don't speak much brazilian... :-) the small sets are quite a bit different from the larger ones. Your best to start a new post and post pictures of the back of the set that show how things / boards are connected. There are voltages labelled on some of the boards near connectors. You need to check those and post your results (what the label is, pin number and what was measured) and people here may be able to help.

Comment

Working...
                                          X