Sony KDL-43WD750 Turns on, no display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-43WD750 Turns on, no display

Hello, I am troubleshooting a Sony TV with 173587112 board in it. AUO T-CON.

The TV turns on and draws 2A of power at 19.5V, backlight comes on and the center light glows white. There is no image being produced whatsoever, and I'm unsure how to test for audio at this point.

I performed a reflow on the main mediatek chip as well as the D4758 chip between the CPU and LVDS connector, the TV behaves exactly the same after doing this, no change.

It reacts to remote, I can turn it on and off with it and the white light blinks when it detects the remote activity.

I would replace this main board if it can't be repaired but I would like to know if there is a way to test if the LCD panel is good? Can't return a new board so yeah, need to be sure.

As far as I know, the TV was damaged after an atmospheric discharge event nearby.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Sony KDL-43WD750 Turns on, no display

start to upload photo on whole back of the tv to see how boards connected together.. also photo on T-CON.
    did you test the T-CON fuse ?
    plug in USB stick with JPG photo on the root of it and check the LED indicator of the stick blinking ??

did you try to inter diagnose mode from stand by if it come the screen on
    Last edited by Diah; 08-09-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Test the LVDS on the main board with an oscilloscope, while flicking the menu on and off all the time. That will tell you if the main board is good or not.
      Check the Tcon that it is getting power and then there are little buck converters on the Tcon, check them too.
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 08-09-2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Need good clear pictures so we can see what we are dealing with.
        T-CON is integrated into the LED panel?
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Unplug tv from power, unplug cable from powerboard to mainboard leave it unplugged, plug power back into outlet, does anything change?

Comment

Kdl's are easy to bork up firmware, try a firmware update, firmware on a flashdrive, some kdl's will update automatically, have tv plugged in, plug in flashdrive turn tv on.
            Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-09-2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Read the instructions, it might not work without a display, some older kdl's will: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...loads/00016216
              Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-09-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Heres a photo of TV's back. Shields off, everything connected.

The fuse on T-CON is good. Should I measure waveforms of any random lines of the LVDS cable with an oscilloscope? Or any particular points there?

T-CON power rails measure good voltages.

As I've mentioned in my first post, this TV stopped working after lightning storm. Would that be a cause of firmware failure? It was probably zapped through DVB-T tuner.

Comment

Read much???????

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                    Unplug tv from power, unplug cable from powerboard to mainboard leave it unplugged, plug power back into outlet, does anything change?
                    There is no power board in this model, it uses 19,5V external brick that plugs straight into the logic board.

Kdl's are easy to bork up firmware, try a firmware update, firmware on a flashdrive, some kdl's will update automatically, have tv plugged in, plug in flashdrive turn tv on.
                    Read the instructions, it might not work without a display, some older kdl's will: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...loads/00016216
                    According to those instructions I have to navigate through many menus and options to update the firmware, which is impossible given current state of the TV.

Comment

One possible reset method:
                      Unplug the TV. Hold down the "Power" and "Down" buttons at the same time and plug the power back into the outlet while holding the buttons for 30 seconds. When a green LED light comes on, release the buttons. Wait while the TV reboots multiple times and runs through the reset cycle. Those diy reflows are a temporary fix, most don't last past a few months.
                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-10-2019, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenHaxor View Post
                        The fuse on T-CON is good. Should I measure waveforms of any random lines of the LVDS cable with an oscilloscope? Or any particular points there?
                        T-CON power rails measure good voltages.
                        As I've mentioned in my first post, this TV stopped working after lightning storm. Would that be a cause of firmware failure? It was probably zapped through DVB-T tuner.
                        1- remove the tuner board from MB and check menu come out ?
                        2- i mentioned before to inter diagnose mode from stand by state to check it will come the screen.
                        3- as its use external power adapter. the Panel will have one Fuse on the left side of its Tap.

Comment

One possible reset method:
                          Unplug the TV. Hold down the "Power" and "Down" buttons at the same time and plug the power back into the outlet while holding the buttons for 30 seconds. When a green LED light comes on, release the buttons. Wait while the TV reboots multiple times and runs through the reset cycle. Those diy reflows are a temporary fix, most don't last past a few months.
                          Doesn't look like this method works on this particular TV, it just turns on and keeps blinking while I hold the buttons.

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                          1- remove the tuner board from MB and check menu come out ?
                          2- i mentioned before to inter diagnose mode from stand by state to check it will come the screen.
                          3- as its use external power adapter. the Panel will have one Fuse on the left side of its Tap.
                          1 - The board behaves exactly the same without the tuner board, same amperage draw.
                          2 - Can you tell me the combination to try and enter this mode?
                          3 - Interesting, I will investigate that. Is that fuse for display or backlight though? Because backlight works.

Comment

Right, so the motherboard was replaced, now the TV shows an image and appears to be working.

BUT

None of the channel programming functions work. When trying to search for DVB-T channels, the TV shows 0 channels found for a brief time and then restarts. Won't even attempt to find any analog ones either. I have updated the firmware successfully, but that didn't help. What could be wrong now?

This is the tuner board I have: (RE243ZP)

Last edited by FrozenHaxor; 08-21-2019, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Comment

Wonder if the tuner is bad, maybe try swapping your old tuner to the new board.

Comment

I have bought a new tuner board, it behaves identically to the old one. If I turn it on without a tuner board in, all the tuning options are correctly grayed out so it does communicate with it at least in some way.

Comment

You have tv set to the correct source during tuning attempt?

Comment

Seems like it does not make a difference which source I chose, still hangs and reboots when enabling any tuning option.

Comment

I think this board is defective. It is impossible to turn off this TV - after I turn it off, it boots back on in several seconds. Oh ffs I'm so annoyed with this repair.

Comment

Working...
                                        X