ADSL 2+ Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADSL 2+ Modem

Out of curiosity I decided to post this modem that went dead after the storm, including the LAN router, both units are dead possibly because the LAN cable was ran outside of the house although the ethernet cards on both computers work fine!
    I was wondering if it might be possible to salvage this modem which I have already replaced with a new one for rainy days.
    The micro fuse is still good but the rest is a mystery, if it should be trashed then so be it.
    Attached Files

Re: ADSL 2+ Modem

Looks like a bulging cap at C62.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-10-2011, 04:02 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

The resistors near R88 also look shot? Something blew up there??

Comment

Thanks for the info and I agree best leave osama dead

Comment

The chip directly next to the resistors seems to be a LAN filter? What is the yellow housing?
          Maybe just the power input circuit got burned? You can try replacing the blue tantalum capacitor (seems also to have taken a hit), and burned resistors. Also replace the big CAPxcon capacitor and the rest of the electrolytics as at least one seems bloated.

Comment

The yellow housing in routers normally signify LAN Ports or more generically RJ45 connectors. However I can't quite work out why there are two of them right now...

Comment

I'm guessing there must have been a current loop, maybe power entered through phone line exited through lan and modem power supply's
              Last edited by joshnz; 09-11-2011, 04:50 PM.
              My pc
              CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
              MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
              RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
              PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
              GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

C62 is dead - probably because it's a Capxon.
                Looks to me like the blue cap took the hit and has just smoke damaged the resistors next door.
                I would guess this is a low end router rather than a modem.

Change the 2 and see what happens

Comment

I would agree, change the bloated cap and the blue one and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
                    I'm guessing there must have been a current loop, maybe power entered through phone line exited through lan and modem power supply's
                    I did take the precaution of removing the phone line not thinking of the one external ethernet line, this modem and the d-link router upstiars to the hit.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow View Post
                      The yellow housing in routers normally signify LAN Ports or more generically RJ45 connectors. However I can't quite work out why there are two of them right now...
                      Yes the yellow housing is the ethernet 2 line connecter, this modem is 6 years old but worked okay for speed of this line.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                        C62 is dead - probably because it's a Capxon.
                        Looks to me like the blue cap took the hit and has just smoke damaged the resistors next door.
                        I would guess this is a low end router rather than a modem.

Change the 2 and see what happens
                        will give a try when see some parts around although I think those resistors are burnt

Comment

Lightning can do funny things...
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

yep it fried a few of the other peoples gagets in the same street and come to think of it the wireless router down stairs took the hit on the power adapter which the shop changed out under warranty.

Comment

Working...
                            X