AT&T sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AT&T sucks

I was at a ladies house today setting her DSL up. They sent her one of those grey/white 2wire routers. I connected, got redirected to the usual 'set up your account' page. I've done this before where it downloads an activex control or executable for browser/modem communication. It tried to re-direct to a img.yahoo.com site to download the executable...domain dosen't exist

I didn't remember the other registration site offhand, so I had to put my grandmothers sbc dsl information to her modem (I know her account username/password). She hopefully wasn't using it...and was able to get to the at&t registration site, register this lady and put her username/network password into the modem. Probably kicked my grandmother off during this time

2wire is worse, cause availability is somewhat spotty, they might give you service and tell you you can only watch tv on only one converter at a time, happened to a client of mine. he was piiiisseed
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

That's a lot of money for 3Mbps down and 512Kbps!!! Verizon is pretty expensive and I don't think it's available here. Even if it, $50/month is too much

Comment

speedtest.net is notorious for falsely low speed tests. I have found speakeasy to have enough bandwidth and a much smaller amount of users, so it works reliably, almost always:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If this speakeasy speedtest is still showing your throughput as being way below what you are paying for, and your dsl modem diagnostic webpage isn't showing any obvious issues (like you are using interleave instead of fastpath), you need to visit the AT&T direct forum on dslreports.com and request help. A real tech will look at your issue and fix it, or schedule a field tech to come out there to fix it.

Comment

Chicago:
          Download Speed: 14626 kbps (1828.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
          Upload Speed: 5213 kbps (651.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result:
          Download Speed: 18074 kbps (2259.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
          Upload Speed: 5025 kbps (628.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Like I said, 100/6 for about 20$... can't complain.

Comment

to get the better deal with comcast you will need to have at least basic cable already, otherwise it's around $50 a month i believe...

i will vouch for their retainers though, i canceled cause i was moving back to some dorms, and they wouldn't stop calling me and giving me really good discounts... i wanted to try my luck and ask if they would just send me $50 cash but...

dammit i probably should have.

Comment

Heads up! Internet Explorer 9 always makes the Speedtest ping test always report 5 ms!

As soon as I'm using another browser, I never get that type of reading. :/
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Using AT&Ts own speedtest at att.com/speedtest...results are always very close to speedtest.net. so I do not think that is the problem. I really dislike 2wire as they have extremely unreliable power adapters. Also, they take a long time to boot up and connect to DSL

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post

U-Verse is a pile of dog feces too, my friend has it at her house and she's had two of the set-top boxes die on her already. It's finicky, the channels are not in HD.
                  Sounds like the dreaded Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250C cable box issued by Comcast.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    I really dislike 2wire as they have extremely unreliable power adapters. Also, they take a long time to boot up and connect to DSL
                    In a 2Wire AC adaptor I opened, it had Su'scon low-ESR electrolytics (the 400V unit was a Samxon) - I've seen Su'scon capacitors go bad without any visible signs.

With regard of the speed of the modem connecting to DSL, I've seen a Netgear (I can't remember the model number) DSL modem ready to go about 30 seconds after powering up.
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

The Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250C I have randomly loses audio.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

$44/mo
                        this thread is useless now lol

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                          U-Verse is a pile of dog feces too, my friend has it at her house and she's had two of the set-top boxes die on her already. It's finicky, the channels are not in HD, and I can never figure out the weird motorola remote when I try to watch TV at her place.
                          Perhaps AT&T are not adequately responsive to consumer demand - providing HD channels over U-Verse should be no problem, provided you have the bandwidth.
                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Wow I can't believe any ISP is still selling packages with such a poor upload speed. That even makes my crappy old cable Internet look better.

I've got Verizon Fios fiber to the premises now.

That's their mid range speed package I could get 75, 100, or 300 Mbps down if I needed it. Also there are NO FLUCTUATIONS during peak hours I can do a speed test any time of the day and the numbers stay rock solid.

I believe U-verse is IPTV too so you're losing bandwidth just to watch TV.

The only time my TVs use Internet bandwidth is to download the electronic program guides and when watching on demand programs. The TV signals to the set top boxes are transmitted at 1550nm through the fiber so Internet bandwidth isn't consumed.

U-verse TV probably isn't in HD because it would consume too much bandwidth and you'd have nothing left for web browsing .
                            Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-20-2012, 07:42 AM.
                            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

wow, wish i had 32mb upload speed, im lucky to get over 0.6 lol

Comment

Yes, I agree

Comment

here is what i get with a 300mbps down /100 up fiber to the home for 10$ but bare in mind that the speed is actualy limited because of the router to 100mbps up and down

ATT website

Download Speed HELP 37.09 Mbps (4635.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
                                  Upload Speed HELP 87.42 Mbps (10927.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
                                  Latency HELP 126 ms
                                  Jitter HELP 1 ms

and this one is on LA warner cable

Comment

Working...
                                  X