Shuttle WiFi Adapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle WiFi Adapters

I recently acquired a (recapped) Shuttle ST61G4 and I have some questions on the optional wifi module.

The module connects to one of the (unused) usb headers inside the unit. it uses an external antenna (hole provided via punchout)

What I would like to know is:

1. how well did the modules perform
    2. were the chips linux compatible? (using ubuntu 11.10 on it)
    3. are they worth buying/using? (I have been having a "fun" time finding any on fleabay)
    4. were there ever any other USB wifi devices that used an external antenna?

and some other info:

1. I have used up all the internal slots between an AGP card and an analog TV tuner.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Shuttle WiFi Adapters

look on the module and see what chip it is. linux kernel 3+ has generally great module support (i'm not sure what kernel ubuntu 11.10 comes with). If you have a shuttle xpc case, it's great to use cause it doesn't take a pci slot or anything.

i've got an asus wifi adapter with an external antenna. since you have no extra slots, just use it. it's free.

Comment

I don't have a module. I was wanting to get one.

If i had it, I would have ran it and played with it some.
      sigpic

Comment

OH i see, i misread. i thought you acquired the module as well. it's old enough that it will be well-supported by linux, the problem is if you use weird encryption like wpa2 enterprise. i would just go for something like this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166022

Comment

nope. All I run is WPA2 Personal.

I have had bad luck with usb wifi sticks... every one I have owned has died within 7 months... but it is tempting.

age doesn't mean good linux support... if the chip is made by marvell, then your only hope is ndiswrapper...
          sigpic

Comment

RD I may have to send a care package your way pretty soon. Would a PCI wifi card work OK? It needs an antenna, a recap, and a PCI bracket... but it has an Atheros a/b/g chipset that is fully Linux supported.

I have never had a USB WiFi adapter work right. Either they die, or their performance is shit from Day 1 and they live a long painful life.

Comment

it would work if I axed the TV tuner...

it has 2 slots, a PCI and an AGP. Both are used up.

sorry.
              sigpic

Comment

marvell chips are really pricey, i haven't seen one in a really long time. nowadays it's all rt**** which is pretty well supported. even bcm43** and ath*** are built-in now (at least on arch kernels).

the USB ones that work well are usually bigger and uglier, if you see them, chances are it will work heh. otherwise, i'm not sure how you could do this besides building your own or spending the money on the module.

Comment

I've had 2 marvel chip'd PCMCIA cards before... just tossing that out there.
                  sigpic

Comment

HP slimlines used something similar, I still have a few

hook it to a header of another pc running win7, try to auto download the drivers from MS, should give you an idea of what chipset it is, or use unknowndevices if win7 gives you the generic "Wireless G device"
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

missed the post.

umm, I don't actually have one... I was wanting to know before I bought one... but seeing that nobosy has them on ebay, I guess I can't buy one...
                      sigpic

Comment

The few ones i've seen on ebay Germany had either Atheros or Ralink (for newer ones.. they had a small white connector, not one for a standard USB pin header).
                        I stumbled across a few of these whil searching for XPC spareparts. They weren't worth it though, as the sellers always wanted around 20eur/27usd just because it says Shuttle on it.. (for what is basically a case-less USB WiFi stick)

Removing the USB plug of a WiFi stick and replacing it with wires going to the USB pin headers, then sticking the thing behind the plastic front panel of the XPC would do the same thing pretty much, except that you can decide what chipset you want.
                        Last edited by Scenic; 02-23-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

you could always get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815201028

I got a USB female connector to header connector to connect a XBOX 360 wireless controller adapter inside my media box
                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                            The few ones i've seen on ebay Germany had either Atheros or Ralink (for newer ones.. they had a small white connector, not one for a standard USB pin header).
                            I stumbled across a few of these whil searching for XPC spareparts. They weren't worth it though, as the sellers always wanted around 20eur/27usd just because it says Shuttle on it.. (for what is basically a case-less USB WiFi stick)

Removing the USB plug of a WiFi stick and replacing it with wires going to the USB pin headers, then sticking the thing behind the plastic front panel of the XPC would do the same thing pretty much, except that you can decide what chipset you want.
                            it uses the white plugs.

I have a similar plug somewhere (from a dead keyboard)... I was thinking the same idea too... if I ever get around to it, that is.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X