Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying a component on a wireless router.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help identifying a component on a wireless router.

The red square on the back of the board seems to me to have a pins that go to different connections as it looks like each one has a separate hole through they are connected to. Is not the top of the board have a big ground plane. The mounting hole on the upper right hand side on the front of the board seems to have some masking scrapped off and the metal of the ground plane is shining through. Is this not the case? Also, if you have the pin out of the chip you should be able to tell where the ground is which sometimes is labeled -Vss. Use to be Gnd was Gnd and other voltages were other voltages above or below gnd.

Comment

I didn't remove any pins, just unsoldered the shield on the MicroSD card and my wife noticed the one pad missing. The one you originally circled (I missed it), is a ground as well. There's a white line going between the ground you circled and the missing pad. I scraped it a little (didn't take a pic) to expose the copper trace. I saw the white line going down though and thought it was another trace. I'm so stupid. It's just a |_| symbol that they have painted to know where to align up the microSD card.

It's hard for me to tell what hole on the back belongs to what pin. My eye sight isn't the greatest anymore. Need to get some glasses. The magnifying glass only does so much. I bought some needle type probes so I can use them to test the continuity between the holes and the pins now. However, I think I'm going to try just soldering the shield back on with the one pad. I don't really see where else the other missing pad went too. It only appears to go to the ground that you circled originally...
      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

I got it fixed. I redrew the pad with my conductive pen, but I don't think that was the problem. Using a multimeter, I was able to map out where that pad went. It only went to the ground on the other side. That ground on the other side went all over the place. With the shield removed, I bent each of the pins on the Micro SD slot back a little bit. This I think is what really fixed the problem. I took a hot soldering iron and touched each the pins on the slot, where they are soldered to the board as well, put the shield back on, soldered it back down, tried it out and works like a charm now.

Comment

Got the router working as well!!! I noticed the little three-legged black component I needed help identifying had a pin (the one all by itself on the back side) that wasn't connected some how! I just took a dab of solder, put it on there, next thing I knew, the lights were lighting up when I pushed the wifi button and everything was good. I think this could be why before it was losing the connection, here and there.

I found the problem when I was putting the multimeters probe on it, it looked like it moved, just a little, to the side. Then I tried lifting it a little with a small pin and with the help of a magnifying glass I seen it wasn't soldered anymore! I wonder how that happened. Good day though, two things fixed in one day isn't that bad. Two things checked off my to-do list! Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
            Got the router working as well!!! I noticed the little three-legged black component I needed help identifying had a pin (the one all by itself on the back side) that wasn't connected some how! I just took a dab of solder, put it on there, next thing I knew, the lights were lighting up when I pushed the wifi button and everything was good. I think this could be why before it was losing the connection, here and there.

I found the problem when I was putting the multimeters probe on it, it looked like it moved, just a little, to the side. Then I tried lifting it a little with a small pin and with the help of a magnifying glass I seen it wasn't soldered anymore! I wonder how that happened. Good day though, two things fixed in one day isn't that bad. Two things checked off my to-do list! Thanks for the help!!!
            Good for you. I don't know why they have a hard time soldering things in china, but that seems to occur a lot around the connectors. Sometimes one needs a little help from FM. Fxxxxxx Magic

Comment

LOL! I like that FM. First time I heard that. Reminds me of the first time I heard of Magic Smoke.

Comment

yea, that is an old electronic tech saying when something just starts working by itself and you can't get it to fail again.

Comment

Working...
                X