• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TCP Optimizer?

Hi guys does this TCP Optimizer works ?

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Re: TCP Optimizer?

I dont know.... I know on Linux you just change the TCP Congestion Control.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

probably a scam like those "download accelerators" that just install addware.

Comment

Originally posted by scammers
        The TCP Optimizer is a free, easy Windows program that provides an intuitive interface for tuning and optimizing your Internet connection.
        Which you don't do on the client.
        OFC it's "totally free!" The junk simply has to be dumped; the expectation is that a certain number will fall for it- the scammers get to use those users' computers as billboards (and who know what else), some data is stolen in the process (ransomware even?), and the jerks get what they want in the end.

The "free" tag is merely a false hope/pining/come-on.
        Even if it did work, it's not doing anything you can't already do, in your own router/modem.
        No different that the "PC Optimizer" scam, that also installed crap. They gave you a rudimentary defrag and regclean as "proof" they made your system "faster." No it didn't, even though there are legitimate defrags/regcleans, which is beside the point...

Originally posted by bullshitters
        There is no installation required, just download and run as administrator.
        Why is that? For the "complimentary" lube job?

Originally posted by insufferable lying bastards
        works with Windows 10, 8.1
        Won't run on "legacy" windows; it needs the "enhanced" features of h8 and 10nnis to more efficiently screw you.

Ivtec, while this is the first time I've replied to your questions about questionable junk, it's not the first time I've noticed them. It shouldn't have even gotten to this point. Obviously, you felt something was off, otherwise you wouldn't be asking... do yourself a favor and don't let these hucksters get your goat.

You'll be happier, and your computer won't become whitespace for the plage that is malware... Their junk'll get in there before you even know what happened- this is the very thing that causes computers to become "slow."

No, not because "they're old." You could just as easily neuter a brand new I7 with such scamware, and they certainly aren't "old."
        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
        Originally posted by shango066
        All style and no substance.
        Originally posted by smashstuff30
        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

These types of programs may have added value when TCP/IP was first introduced into the Windows OS back in 1992, but modern TCP/IP code is likely to be very well implemented across all OSes today.

TCP/IP, the protocol itself, has also evolved and fairly well tuned for robustness and high performance. TCP/IP is dynamic and adapts so I would generally leave the defaults as is for general Internet usage.

If your Internet is running slow, it is likely not due to the OS implementation of the TCP/IP stack unless you are running into a bug.

While dated, this is one of the best TCP/IP books I have read.

TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol. 1: The Protocols - by W. Richard Stevens (Author)
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Worked back in XP days but isn't required with Vista forwards as the changes were made to the OS.

Comment

What retiredcaps says is true, however seeing as how many people here cling to decade old operating systems a tool like this really is made for people on this forum.

An example is that Tcp1323Opts and TcpWindowSize is set to off and a very low value respectively up to and including WinXP and Server 2003 x64.
              This severely limit download speeds over links with medium to high latency, like you would see when crossing the atlantic between Europe and the US for example.

The tool TCP Optimizer on Speedguide.net offers a great and easy way to change this value and others, and the tool contains no malware.
              In fact it is a tool that has existed for many years, back to the Win2K days.
              Of course a power user might prefer to change the registry directly and therefore here are the default values I use on Windows 2000 up to Server 2003 x64 machines:
              Code:
              Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
              "TcpWindowSize"=dword:003ebc00
              "Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000003
              With these changes I am able to saturate a 100Mbps link with 130ms latency.
              Without the changes I max out at 0.5Mbps against the same test server in the US.
              Of course both endpoints need to support TCP Window Scaling but in 2015 this should not be a problem.
              Linux has had it enabled by default since kernel 2.6.8 released over a decade ago.

I attached also a registry file with these options...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-02-2015, 03:05 AM.
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                probably a scam like those "download accelerators" that just install addware.
                stij it's not malware, i tested it on one of my machines and i notice nothing out of order,so far i don't see any benefits either,will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                  What retiredcaps says is true, however seeing as how many people here cling to decade old operating systems a tool like this really is made for people on this forum.

An example is that Tcp1323Opts and TcpWindowSize is set to off and a very low value respectively up to and including WinXP and Server 2003 x64.
                  This severely limit download speeds over links with medium to high latency, like you would see when crossing the atlantic between Europe and the US for example.

The tool TCP Optimizer on Speedguide.net offers a great and easy way to change this value and others, and the tool contains no malware.
                  In fact it is a tool that has existed for many years, back to the Win2K days.
                  Of course a power user might prefer to change the registry directly and therefore here are the default values I use on Windows 2000 up to Server 2003 x64 machines:
                  Code:
                  Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
                  "TcpWindowSize"=dword:003ebc00
                  "Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000003
                  With these changes I am able to saturate a 100Mbps link with 130ms latency.
                  Without the changes I max out at 0.5Mbps against the same test server in the US.
                  Of course both endpoints need to support TCP Window Scaling but in 2015 this should not be a problem.
                  Linux has had it enabled by default since kernel 2.6.8 released over a decade ago.

I attached also a registry file with these options...
                  Hansson you mean this TCP Optimizer will do nothing on Win 10 but will help old OPS TCP?

Comment

It's a great optimizer that will do several tweaks without the end-user having to delve into what each TCP option in the registry does, like I have.
                    That said the TCP stack in Win10 is quite good, but there are always tweaks that can be done, remember the Windows TCP code has been written to work with any links, which of course has it's drawbacks.
                    A good example would be to set Windows to acknowledge all packets, which reduces lag in games but decreases your throughput when downloading: TcpAckFrequency
                    It's a tweak that depends on usage and it's not possible to write a simple registry file for it like I've shown above because the change needs to be done at the adapter level.
                    Which is different for each PC with a unique GUID.
                    So you could use a dedicated tool, like this: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html
                    Or Speedguides TCP Optimizer which can do this and lots of other tweaks...
                    Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-02-2015, 04:53 PM.
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

It is not scam software. Speedguide.net has been around for quite a long time. The program was built for tweaking cable and DSL connections back when they were first coming out and people were switching from dial-up.

They have quite a lot of useful information on tweaking connections and friendly people on the forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X