Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Telstra Business: expecting you to use their equipment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telstra Business: expecting you to use their equipment?

Recently, I had a client who moved to Telstra Business Broadband at his home, but he did not want to use the modem Telstra supplied since he already had a dual-band Netgear DGND3700 ADSL wireless router.
    Two terms Telstra supplied were the Dialin and the Telstra Hostname were particularly confusing, but the DGND3700 did not have any reference to the aforesaid Telstra terms; the only similar option available on the DGND3700 was the Service Name.

First, I entered the details for the Telstra account (Static IP Address, DNS Servers etc.) with the Service Name set to the Dialin provided by Telstra.
    After some time changing settings , I tried the Telstra Hostname in the Service Name, and it worked.

For the Service Name on the DGND3700 (or most others):
    The Telstra Hostname is typically for fixed line services (ADSL; unsure for Cable since I never handled one since cable networks are only in the capital cities in Australia), and the Dialin is typically used for mobile broadband.

Other less confusing settings were the Customer WAN IP address (Static Internet IP Address), and the Telstra Gateway IP address (Gateway IP Address along with the IP Subnet Mask - for the DGND3700, these settings are accessible when you select an Internet connection not requiring a login).

So it's apparent that Telstra (and certain others) wants (or expects) you to use their equipment with their service!
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Telstra Business: expecting you to use their equipment?

haha.

sky in the u.k. (rupert murdoc's shit - i'm sure you have an equiv)
    have the router locked and the details arent shared.
    also the service contract says you MUST use the sky router and you cant mess with it's firmware.
    so obviously that pile of crap is doing stuff it shouldnt.
    not a problem for them with TR-069, as long as your using THEIR router with THEIR TR-069 remote login password.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      haha.

sky in the u.k. (rupert murdoc's shit - i'm sure you have an equiv)
      have the router locked and the details arent shared.
      also the service contract says you MUST use the sky router and you cant mess with it's firmware.
      so obviously that pile of crap is doing stuff it shouldnt.
      not a problem for them with TR-069, as long as your using THEIR router with THEIR TR-069 remote login password.
      More likely that they want easier diagnostic of issues, they can see what is connected to their network. If its the customers kit then they can't.

Could be worse than sky, and be a talk talk customer

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
        So it's apparent that Telstra (and certain others) wants (or expects) you to use their equipment with their service!
        I would expect nothing else of Telstra. Their government heritage is still strong (Australia Post isn't far behind either). TPG is still working fine here, all I have to do is hook up a cable to any old router, set it up and I'm on the net again with any PC in the house. No Telstra-specific hardware/software/malware/spyware needed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
          More likely that they want easier diagnostic of issues, they can see what is connected to their network. If its the customers kit then they can't.

Could be worse than sky, and be a talk talk customer
          diagnostics have nothing to do with it, i'v been on their helpline once.

more likely they are probing peoples internal networks like BT has been caught doing.

Comment

diagnostics have nothing to do with it, i'v been on their helpline once.

more likely they are probing peoples internal networks like BT has been caught doing.
            http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/24/bt_snooping/

Used for diagnostic purposes in this instance to find unsafe kit. Most routers show what is connected to them.

And whilst you have to use a Virgin modem or superhub to authenticate with the DOCSIS3 network, you can use your own kit with most ADSL providers including Sky (fibre might be different).

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/24/bt_snooping/

Used for diagnostic purposes in this instance to find unsafe kit..
              bullshit excuses - BT's legal right and responsibility ends at the primary telephone socket.
              it's in their own contracts
              that's no different to the meter reader breaking into your house to check the make/model of your boiler!

And whilst you have to use a Virgin modem or superhub to authenticate with the DOCSIS3 network, you can use your own kit with most ADSL providers including Sky (fibre might be different).
              NOT including SKY, it goes directly against the customer contract and can result in imediate disconnection/cancelation.
              it wouldnt have taken you more than a few seconds on any adsl forum to know that - it's a big issue.

Comment

bullshit excuses - BT's legal right and responsibility ends at the primary telephone socket.
                it's in their own contracts
                that's no different to the meter reader breaking into your house to check the make/model of your boiler!

NOT including SKY, it goes directly against the customer contract and can result in imediate disconnection/cancelation.
                it wouldnt have taken you more than a few seconds on any adsl forum to know that - it's a big issue.
                Not a bullshit excuse, that is the snooping you refer to and their reason. And whilst their phone stops at the master socket, it will be different when they provide broadband kit.

I didn't check the forums because i thought we were talking about what is possible. I didn't think you were a man that was stopped by a few T&C.

Comment

Not a bullshit excuse, that is the snooping you refer to and their reason. And whilst their phone stops at the master socket, it will be different when they provide broadband kit.
                  it's not different when they ram a router through your letterbox.
                  (yes, that's how it's delivered.)

it's a breech of the computer misuse act 2000 punishable by upto 5 years in prison if i remember correctly.

Comment

Yeah they post them out but I don't think Homehubs fit through the letterbox any more.
                    It was 4 years ago they did this, about the time of the Phorm debacle. No prosecution there.
                    This is no different than the Virgin Superhub left in default configuration. Their reps can see what is connected too.

Comment

the HH4 & 5 are specially packaged to go though any letterbox.
                      not sure how well they stand up to hitting the floor afterwards though.

Comment

Working...
                      X